Help

ARCHIVE

Miss Nelson is Missing

>

ILuvKaliNJay

Miss Nelson is Missing
Old 07-14-2006, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for some creative activities to use with Miss Nelson is Missing during the first few days of school. I would love to focus a whole day's worth of activities around this book (in between practicing rules and procedures of course!). I would also like some independent activities (that will keep them quiet and busy) that kids could do with the story while I'm performing some informal reading assessments. Any ideas at all will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ILuvKaliNJay is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Unit
Old 07-14-2006, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I saw a whole unit on that book in two of my Mailbox magazines (Aug. 2004, and "best of book 3"). Here are some shortened versions:
1. theme - compare her students with yours in 2 different columns.
2. story details - Make a missing person poster with the following elements (illustration, description/clothes, why she disappeared, a reward of "good behavior from the students"). Display the work on a bulletin board titled "Missing!".
3. responding to lit. - Discuss the likelihood of each child's speculation (ex: carried off by a swarm of butterflies). Then think of 2 new explanations for her absence - one probable and one outlandish. Divide a sheet of paper in half and draw/write about each idea on each half. Let the class decide if the outcomes are likely.
4. analyzing characters - Create a matching game with the characteristics of Miss Nelson and Miss Swamp (they have a worksheet, but I'm sure you could make one). Their characteristics include: Miss Nelson - talks with a sweet voice, cannot make students behave, reads to students, wears bright clothes. Ms. Swamp - gives a lot of homework, wears dark clothes, makes students behave, snaps at students.
5. inferences - point out to students how the author provides several clues about Ms Swamp's identity throughout the story. Have each child glue a provided foil-covered tagboard circle to a craft stick to make a magnifying glass. Reread the story aloud. When a student hears a clue, have her raise her magnifying glass. List the clues on the board as they're found.
6. Have students write a letter to Detective McSmogg him about the clues.

That all came from the primary Mailbox. The other one I have is intended for grades 4-6 and is an eight-day plan for writing to go along with the book. It looks a little high for 2nd grade.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mme NPB

thanks!
Old 07-15-2006, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I recently read Miss Nelson is Missing and loved it! I purchased it for my classroom this year and hadn't even considered the possible activities that I might do with my students, so thanks for the info!!
mme NPB is offline   Reply With Quote

ILuvKaliNJay

Thanks SusanTeach
Old 07-15-2006, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the list of ideas SusanTeach! They helped stimulate my creative juices! I'm going to take the idea of a matching game and tailor it into a whole class activity called "pin the word on the teacher." I'm going to make to lifesize(childrensize) cut-outs of Miss Nelson and Miss Swamp. I'm going to use some black fabric(for Miss Swamp) and pink fabric (for Miss Nelson) to cut out some dresses and glue them to the paper characters. I am going to have a list of words/phrases on index cards that describe Miss Nelson and a list of opposite words that describe Miss Swamp (enough for each child to pin 1 on). Students will come up and choose a card and we'll figure out the word as a class if he/she doesn't know it and discuss the word's meaning. That student will be responsible for pinning the word to the correct teacher. I think this will be a great activity to build vocabulary and to discuss opposites (not sure if I'll introduce the word "antonyms" yet or not). After the activity I will hang both characters up. I'm also thinking about having students connect each word/phrase on Miss Nelson to its' exact opposite on Miss Swamp using string. It just depends on how many different adjectives I can come up with that is clearly an opposite for only one or two of the other words on the other character. I don't know, still thinking about that one.
ILuvKaliNJay is offline   Reply With Quote