Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Corduroy Bear's Missing Button Lesson Plan

>

BusyTeacher80

Corduroy Bear's Missing Button Lesson Plan
Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anybody do or have done the Corduroy lesson at the start of school (where they meet staff/tour the school by finding Corduroy's button)? Just curious, I think I might do it this year, but I might wait until the second day of school to do it because I like to do the Kissing Hand the first day. Do you think it's fine to do it the 2nd day? I work in a public school Pre-k through 12th grade, so I almost feel like doing it the first day might be overwhelming for the students.

BusyTeacher80 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrtonya

don't fuss it
Old 08-31-2008, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The only person it will really matter to is you. We re already into our third week of school and the students struggled to get things done on the first day. (We did the Kissing Hand, too.)

My partner and I just kept saying all day how much we could wait for the first day to be over so that we could start building a schedule that the kids could understand and thus feel more at ease with what was coming up next. There is just too much to take in the first day, even if they are just moving up from another class.

Also, we are doing Corduroy this week. I found a cute idea where you take the inside of a cardboard box (ripping the tor layer of the corregation(sp)) and a bear print out and have them rub with crayon to make the bear look like it is corduroy. We are also goiong to lace buttons and a few other things.

Don't sweat the first day. Parents just want their kids to come home happy regardless of whether they get anything done the first day.
tchrtonya is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

Corduroy
Old 08-31-2008, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You can do the school tour with Kissing Hand instead (looking for Chester...be sure the adult in each room has a heart stamped on their hand).

Do Corduroy later in the month, even weeks later. There are lots of short videos of the book available - not all are cartoons - and my kids loved them. Its an opportunity for simple retelling, which the kids aren't necessarily ready for on day 1 or 2. I have found a coloring page of Corduroy with overalls, and afterward the kids glue on two buttons from my collection. The words on that page read
One thing Corduroy wished for was __________.
I wish for __________________.

At the same time, we do a week of a Teddy Bear theme, with a sponge painting center (with a stencil) writing (using pictures of Teddy Bears from a calendar) describing (their own stuffed animal (size, color, clothes, kind of animal, etc) math; sorting, graphing and patterning using bear counters, and reading lots of Teddy Bear stories, poems and songs. We wind up with a Teddy Bears picnic. They can all bring their stuffed animals, we learn the song, eat teddy grahams and watch the movie.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

BusyTeacher80

Right....
Old 08-31-2008, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I guess I need to rephrase my question. I'm aware of the time it takes to do things the first day (and many after that), which is the reason I don't want to do Kissing Hand and Corduroy the same day. I'm just wondering if doing a tour/meeting staff the second day is just as effective as it would be the first day. It would really just be the Corduroy button hunt, where we read the story, go on a tour looking for his button....each person we run into for them to meet has a button, but none are Corduroy's. His button ends up to be in the classroom with a treat. It would really just be part of the back 2 school week, not a week of Corduroy.

BusyTeacher80

Bertie
Old 08-31-2008, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like the Kissing Hand Tour...maybe I'll do that instead! Thanks for the idea! I really like the tour idea because we have a large school, but the Corduroy part just wasn't fitting in nicely, which is why I've never done it. But it was more fun than just doing a regular tour. Thanks!