ARCHIVE

Treasures weekly assessments

>

kathy

Treasures weekly assessments
Old 09-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey all,

Help me here. This is our first year for Treasures. I like most things about it but just hate the assessment each week. There may only be 2-3 comp. questions, a few vocab., and the rest are grammar/spelling related. Any suggestions? We are considering making our own weekly tests up.

kathy is offline   Reply With Quote

mbh

Old 09-09-2008, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you talking about the weekly selection test or the longer, TCAP-type test practice? I have been giving gthe TCAP test and they just fail it miserably. No matter what I do they fail it. The selection test is easier and friendlier but it does not test what the other one does. Then there is the test generator CD that I have never figured out.
mbh is offline   Reply With Quote

stlcardinals

Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I give the quiz over the story from the reader. Ours came on a CD. Attached to this I give the comprehension quiz which gives the kids a cold read and comp questions. I only copy the comp questions and leave out the grammar and spelling ones. I test that seperately. Putting these two quizzes together for one grade seems to work for me.
stlcardinals is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldiTeaches

Happy!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm SO happy to hear others with the same questions and problems! Its our first year with Treasures also. I love the idea of the weekly assessment because it lets them apply what we've been working on to a new text, but there are so few questions! They miss a couple and the whole test is failed! I don't test on the grammar either, so I end up with very few questions as well.

I tried combining some of the questions from the story of the week test (on the Selection Test CD-ROM) with the Weekly Assessment, but they seemed really confused about what to do. Those were the worst test scores yet.

I don't give traditional spelling tests, but we work on the spelling activities during the week so the couple of spelling questions are great. I agree, however, that I'd like a little more on comprehension. I just realized last week that the short response question is worth multiple points for different levels of response. That added a few points.

What about that space at the bottom of the page with the short response? Could we write in another comprehension or two that went with the text on the test? Or would that be deviating from the test too much?
GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

poohtms

Old 09-09-2008, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our district is using the tests as is for assessments. We are required to give all parts and those scores comprise 65% of our reading grade. It is very frustrating.

poohtms is offline   Reply With Quote

kathy

Old 09-09-2008, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Phew! Sounds like we are not alone. I think this is what we are going to do. There are 3 of us who teach third grade. One teacher is going to come up with about 4 comprehension questions from the text selection, and 3 comp. questions from the cold read. I am in charge of making up a vocabulary page in which they are to write a complete sentence with each of the vocab. words. If there are only 4, I will pull in a vocab word from an earlier lesson. That will allow us check for punctuation etc. To keep them from having preset sentences that mom or dad made up, I may combine. For example, "Write a sentence using "addressing and nervous." That way at least there are 12-15 questions. We;ll see. I teach in a parochial school so we have a little more freedom.
kathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.O

1st year with Treasures
Old 09-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My third grade team does not give the comprehension assessment. We were told we couldn't because these tests did not assess Quadrant D of Rigor, Relevance, and Relationships. (Don't ask!) We are giving the cold read passage and questions along with a teacher made vocabulary test. (I thought Treasures was supposed to have it all!)
Mrs.O is offline   Reply With Quote

Kendall

Frustrated too!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Check out Unit 1 Week 2, (Dear Juno) week for weekly FCAT assessment. The story of a boy that is traveling from Italy to another place. They ask what is his main problem? The passage uses a whole paragraph talking about how he hates the airport and how the babies are crying and then it asks what his main problem is. Students at the beginning of third grade are not good at "inferring" that his real problem is that he doesn't want to leave his grandpa. They would have to pick up on the part about he is saying that it is his last time eating an egg where he was currently living. They are used to things being a bit more black and white and being spelled out for them in 2nd grade. I wish the FCAT Weekly Assessment was more about "comprehension" of the cold read. We are not teaching inferring yet! My scores on that one were lower and I anticipate more parent-teacher conferences on that one. What do I say??? I already have a parent that wants to conference on that score.
Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote

tancraven

Old 09-10-2008, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also thought Treasures was suppose to have it all! Although I like parts of it, I dislike many as well; assessment being one of them. I give the PSSA (PA standardized test) format test. I cut the grammar and spelling out as well. I also pick and choose some of the comprehension questions from the weekly selection tests to include in the assessment. I came up with 17 points for the Dear Juno test. I'll try this for now and see how it works.

I like seeing other people's ideas as well. Thank you for sharing.
tancraven is offline   Reply With Quote

HARteach

1st year with Treasures too!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My school just got Treasures and we have not received all the componants yet. I have a code for the online teacher edition but I can't seem to access the whole book...very frustrating!! I hope I receive the testing CD ROM you all are mentioning! I usually create my own tests. I think it's a good idea to keep this thread going, and help one another out throughout the year. I would be willing to share my assessments when I create them. Thanks for sharing!
HARteach is offline   Reply With Quote

danah555

my Treasures quizzes
Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The first page of my quiz is made up by me containing comp. questions about the story. I try to include questions which focus on the skill for that story as well. (For example, in the first story they focus on story mapping so I will ask about characters, setting, beginning, middle, end, etc.). The second page of the quiz is the vocab. transparency page (I do other activities when teaching the vocab), and then I use a few pages from the assessment book (the reading passage and questions). I usually don't use the spelling and grammar parts of the assessment test because I use a different book for those subjects. Sometimes I'll also include a page from the "beyond" workbook if it's a skill we spent some time on.
danah555 is offline   Reply With Quote

tancraven

Old 09-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Great Idea HarTeach! I would love to share my assessments when I create them. We are doing Dear Juno right now. This test is not digital, but I will share future tests on this post. I hope others can do the same.

I love this collaboration!
tancraven is offline   Reply With Quote

volfan85

This is my second year using Treasures. I
Old 09-11-2008, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

admit that I like it more this year than last year, but many other teachers in our school hate it. I use the TCAP practice test as a test grade each week and the selection test from the cd as a daily grade. I allow students to use their books for the selection test because I do not think it is really important that they "memorize" the weekly story. I would rather them just be able to access the information and use it to answer the questions correctly. Some weeks are harder with the TCAP practice test than others. At times, I have to give an answer on a certain question prior to the test, especially with the grammar portion. The test is bad about wording their grammar questions in a way that they are not worded on all the grammar practice during the week. For example, this past week students were asked to pick the simple predicate in a sentence. Although we had studied predicates all week, having students to identify a simple predicate was not mentioned one time during that week! But overall, it really seems to separate those students who do comprehend the skill of the week from those who don't. I just explain to parents that lower grades on this test are pretty common. My scores usually range from about 60 to 100 each week on the TCAP practice test and 70 to 100 on the selection test. This year there seems to be a lot more students making 87-100 than last year----maybe because it is the second year with the series?? Test scores count for 33 percent in our district and daily grades account for 66. I also give a fluency grade each month as a daily grade and that really helps to pull up scores. Probably because we are a reading first school, most of our students are "fluent" in 3rd grade for whatever that is worth ! I would love to share ideas on teaching strategies with this series. Do you all take the catch up week that comes with each unit at the end of 5 weeks are just keep going? I take the week and love not having to do a story that week, but our other 3rd grade teachers continue into the next unit.
volfan85 is offline   Reply With Quote