Title I Interventionist being used as subs - ProTeacher Community

Bugabee

Title I Interventionist being used as subs
Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Should Title I interventionist be used as subs? I'm being utilized as a sub, too frequently, versus working with groups as an interventionist. Is there a resource that shows guidelines for Title I funded teachers?

Bugabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Mmckie2000

Welcome to my world......
Old 08-26-2008, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm a special education teacher and have been for the past few years. At both schools that I have taught at this has been an issue. It is nowhere near as bad at the school that I am in now, but it still happens. As for the guidelines, even if you find something stating that it shouldn't be done, good luck telling administration that when there is a class that needs coverage.
Mmckie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

no subbing!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my experience, the Federal Guidelines say Title I teachers must not be used as substitute teachers. I can agree to covering for an hour while a sub is on the way, but not being used for a whole day to save a few dollars. To ignore this is to jeopardize the funding for the whole program.

Here is the link to your state's page on Title I: http://www.doe.in.gov/TitleI/welcome.html
I could not quickly find where it states the teachers must not be used for subbing. You may question your principal about what percentage to write on your form. There's a form, twice a year, where you must sign to state that you work 100% of your time (excluding duties that other teachers also cover) for Title I. That is turned in to the state and your district's compliance is expected. If you are still being expected to sub, you may locate your state worker (find in the website links) and ask for help.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Bugabee

Thank you
Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did some research via your link MrsM...thank you. It's amazing how quick you find yourself in a sub pool. I found a link on Appropriate Use of Title I Intervention Staff, which helped a lot. Also, I learned there are two types of Title I. Ours is schoolwide. I'm still researching and finding direct guidlines regarding pulling Title I staff to cover classrooms or extra duties.

Thanks again...BIG help.
Bugabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Old 08-28-2008, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Back in the Dark Ages when I first started with Title I, I was asked about 4 times in a row to sub in a classroom. After several times, I politely told my principal that I believed my contract said I was a Title I teacher, not a sub; and while I certainly didn't mind helping out once in a while, the next time I was asked to sub in a room, I would opt to take a personal day. I was never asked again.

Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Wordytime

Title I as Subs
Old 10-17-2008, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Unfortunately this happens all the time. I was pulled out of my job 28 days one year and our union filed a grievance. We lost the grievance on the grounds that the administration must provide a safe school environment with proper supervision in every classroom. We pushed for higher pay for substitutes. That helped for a while, but we still have occasional shortages. Especially during flu season.
Wordytime is offline   Reply With Quote

OhLaLa85

Sadly...
Old 10-23-2008, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

...Title teachers are often used for many different things because we're not "regular" classroom teachers. I'm curious...are you paid sub pay on top of your regular pay? One school corp I was in would pay teachers $100 if they had to sub, or take another class in with theirs. It would only seem fair that the money allocated for subs would go to the person subbing.
OhLaLa85 is offline   Reply With Quote