Backwards Writing or Mirror Writing - ProTeacher Community

laughoften

Backwards Writing or Mirror Writing
Old 11-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone know what the ability to write backwards or mirror writing is or means? I don't mean inverting letters as dyslexia. I've always written the correct way and never had a problem with writing. But I am able to free hand, in cursive and print, write backwards. For example,
I could write this sentence backwards on paper.
repap no sdrawkcab ecnetnes siht etirw dluoc I.
So that when you held the paper up to a mirror it would be readable. I found some stuff online about Leonardo DaVinci being able to do this, and how it means that I have a language connection on both sides of my brain as opposed to just one side. Oh and the abiity is more common in left handers, but I'm right handed.
Can anyone else do this, or anyone else know what this means??

aggiegirl75

Don't know what it means...
Old 11-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but I have had a few first graders over the years who have done this, and I was always so perplexed. I had one who did it at the beginning of this year, but she has stopped doing it. It seems to be a developmental thing, at least with the kids I have had.

ma-bethany

Old 11-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

i've never tried anything backwards - but i can read scrambled up letters within words (like what you posted above) as if it were written normally. that has always been very easy for me.

Evergreen

Old 11-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We call DS "DaVinci" because of his ability to do this. It started when he was 3 years old and he free handed a mirror image of a full page magazine ad. He is very artistic and spends hours and hours drawing.

Strawberry_K5

Old 11-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach Kindergarten and notice this more often in left-handed children, although it's not uncommon for children who are beginning to read and write to invert their sentences or read from right to left. I agree that it appears to be developmental.

I don't know about an adult writing from right to left. Do you have to make an effort to write left to right?

laughoften

Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No I don't have to make an effort to do it. When I choose to write that way I can do it naturally as if I'm writing right to left. I was talking to my mom about it yesterday who works in neurology and she was going to ask her doctors there tomorrow. I told her I wouldn't mind having them studying my brain while I'm doing it. Each time I show someone I can do it they're so intrigued and baffled by it, and the fact that they can't do it. I haven't seen any kids do it.
I can't do the numbers though easily. That takes effort and really thinking about making them backwards.

Ima Teacher

Old 11-02-2008, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've never thought about it, but I'm able to do it.

I can't type backwards, but I can write backwards. I used to write my friends backwards notes. They just held them up to the light and read them throught the back of the paper. I can only do it print, but I can print backwards as fast as I can print forwards.

Evergreen

Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When you write in "mirror writing" do you write from Left to Right, or from Right to Left? Just curious.

laughoften

Old 11-02-2008, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

From right to left.
So if the line was
_______________________________ _______________________
And end here. <---- write towards that way I would start here.

Ima Teacher

Old 11-02-2008, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
When you write in "mirror writing" do you write from Left to Right, or from Right to Left? Just curious.
Everything is backward. You start on the right side of the page and write to the left. Plus, all of the letters are written backward as well. It's not just the letters being written in reverse order.

Interestingly enough, I cannot read or write words in reverse order, but I can read them perfectly well backward.

jen517

I can do this
Old 11-02-2008, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've done this since I was 3. My parents were concerned at first. I've never had an issue with it though, and no one has needed to do a brain study or anything. It's just like any other weird skill I would assume, I've never thought anything of it.

Ima Spedtcher

hmmm
Old 11-02-2008, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I do it frequently when I am tired and not thinking, but I always thought it was because I have dyslexia. It is rare that I do it with full sentences, usually it is just words.

I am right handed

Last edited by Ima Spedtcher; 11-02-2008 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: gnidda

GraceKrispy

Old 11-02-2008, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I can do it. It means you're a genius, I'm sure!

I think it does have to do with the language connection on both sides of your brain. I am also ambidextrous, and we were going to study me in grad school, but it got boring right away I also tend to be quick with comebacks, but slower to process thoughtful output (speech) (that's what we wanted to study- lol- how weird my language pathways were).

PPCDTeacher

Old 11-02-2008, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Yes I can do the backwards and upside down too...

Mine is for a silly reason though. I was a VERY literal child. I still am. I am left handed, and when I was about 3 years old my mom told me that since I was left-handed, I was going to have to do everything backwards of what everyone who was right handed did. So I took her at her word, and I taught myself to write backwards...and upside down. I started with my name, and went from there.

yesteach

me too...
Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've been doing it since high school, I started because I was bored. I can also write upside down... and I'm right handed.. and I write it from right to left... and I can do both cursive and manuscript..

cvt

me too
Old 11-02-2008, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

When I was in first and second grade I wrote backwards AND upside down. In cursive. What does it mean? I'm a genius, of course
I can still do the backwards writing, but not upside down. Oh, and I am left-handed.

critter

wow...
Old 11-03-2008, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I was thinking about this at the beginning of the year. My DD is in Kindergarten, and she did this right before school started. When she brought me the paper, I asked her why she'd written it her name backwards(I was WORRIED!!), and she said, "In case I want to stand in the mirror, Mama." I was so impressed that I carried that paper around with me for a WEEK telling people~

And she IS left-handed.

Interesting!! I would like to learn more about this!

Alicia G

Old 11-03-2008, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Last year, when the art teacher was doing DaVinci she had the classes (including my ds's) try mirror writing. Anyway, she said that my ds (a third grader at the time) and a few other kids could do it with ease, many could do it with a bit of a struggle, and a few just gave up (she wasn't pushing it, just suggesting it).

dee

Brain Injured child
Old 11-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have a 3rd grader who is brain-injured and will do this without realizing for a brief period of time now and then, perhaps for 15 or 20 minutes. SHE can't notice she is doing it, but will correct it when someone mentions it to her. The rest of the time she writes conventionally.

The brain is just so very fascinating!

Lottalove

I can do it as well
Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

like PPCD--forward and backwards--upside down and mirror image...in cursive and in print.

I am a lefty but can write with my right if I need to. I almost write neater upside down than right side up--especially with free hand printing.

Actually, now that I look at it -- I would not write in backwards like you described above just in the mirror image reversals.

I have papers from K where I wrote like that at school back then (1969-1971).
F1rstladyk

F1rstladyk

mirror writing
Old 02-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My daughter (6 yrs old) does the whole mirror writing thing too. She is right-handed and starts writing sentences starting at the right side of the paper to the left side. All of her letters and numbers are backwards. Some days she will write things the right way and then other days she writes backwards and don't notice she's doing it. She just did it out of the blue when she was 5 and still does it. Her teacher called me in to talk last week and was curious as to why she writes that way. She said that when she shows her the paper and wants to know why she wrote that way, my daughter doesn't realize it until the teacher actually points out the backwards writing. I sat down w/her w/one of the papers she wrote backwards on and I told her I wanted her write it again exactly like that and I was going to do the same thing. She didn't have to think about writing the letters from right to left and how to write each letter backwards but it took quite a bit of effort for me to do it. I showed her how the paper could be perfectly read in a mirror and it surprised her so she wasn't writing backwards for that intent. I don't know what it means but it freaked me out a little when she first did it but now I'm used to it. I just think it's neat how the brain works and how ppl are skilled in different ways.

tess1961

tess1961

just tess
Old 05-09-2009, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I, too can write backwards, and upside down/backwards. I discovered I could do this when I was about 8 (40 years ago), in response to a note that my mother wrote to me which was backwards. She never 'taught' me; it's just something I did the first time I tried. My father and brother cannot, which concurs with what I just read that this ability is X-gene. I'm right handed, but have always been able to -- and do -- use my left for just about anything. Actually, I've come to believe that I was born left-handed but through quirks of life (not religious beliefs or someone forcing me to be right-handed) became right-hand dominant.

Does anyone know how common this is? What percent of the population?

A Genius

A Genius

I can write backwards forward with both hands
Old 08-15-2009, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I can write backwards forward with both hands and very, very fast even upsided down and in single letters or script - in high school I memorize an entire text book. I can understand and figure out anything I want to - I do not need anyone to really teach me anything - I think it has a lot to do with being a genius -

lapaloma

Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

My fiance can do the mirror writing quite well. He does all his journal writing this way. His writing is beautiful......better than my normal writing! It is amazing! He is right handed by the way. I feel he is quite talented and very artistic....and I do see him as the type of person using both sides of the brain.
SHANNONRAE

SHANNONRAE

Backwardbrain
Old 12-31-2009, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I am ambidextrious, and can write forward, backward,upside down, and at the same time one forward and one backward, or both the same way. No one else in my family can do this. It is no effort for me and when i show people, they think i am a freak. I believe it has something to do with using both sides of your brain. I do everything mirror image of everyone for example i cant line dance because i do it mirror image. Ha