principal observation lesson (aaaaaahhh) - ProTeacher Community

rth2008

principal observation lesson (aaaaaahhh)
Old 11-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i have to do my first principal evaluated lesson plan in the next week or so (before the christmas holiday). i am really nervous about what/how to teach.

i am in 2nd grade and was thinking about doing the lesson on phonics/grammar - adding plural endings or doing a word family chunk(s).

i want the lesson to go really well, be impressive. any ideas on lesson plans to use or suggestions on what/how to teach??? I can use all the help i can get.

rth2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

McD2

tenure?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not sure if you are working on getting your tenure, but I remember one principal telling me to think carefully about my lessons that would be recorded and reviewed during the tenure process.

Think about what you would like a committee or principal to know about you as a teacher. You also want to show a well rounded educational experience. In some lesson, you will want to incorporate multicultural aspects, differentiated instruction of the different levels in your room, some math, reading, writing.

Also, think about what is going well in the room right now! What routines are working and show those off!
McD2 is offline   Reply With Quote

jmartell

Time frame
Old 11-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My principal loves to see teachers think about appropriate time frames for 7 year olds. He likes to see activities switch every 12-15 minutes. Can you think of some good hands on activities to throw into the mix of your whole group lesson...Maybe hand out index cards with word family chunks on some and beginnings on others. Then have kids wander around to find a match to make a word. Then they can come back to the group for another sitting activity... Sorry, I am not very creative tonight! On a different note, I would also caution you about trying anything too out of the ordinary. I am sure you are a great teacher and your principal wants to see you in action, not a "dog and pony show" as my principal puts it .
jmartell is offline   Reply With Quote

annie13

I found my best observations
Old 11-30-2008, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

were those when we were doing independent work and guided reading. I tried not to do anything new, just add on to what we've already done.
I have to tell you in my career I had to get tenure 4 times b/c we moved a lot. I know how stressful it can be and how you want it to be your best.
If you do phonics/grammar I would teach it in conjunction with a book otherwise it will be an isolated skill.
What about if you do a shared reading and have kids locate the plural endings or practice finding chunks in words? Or you could do that in writing, or guided reading, etc.
Really look at what you are really proud of in your class and what is going well instead of a contrived topic. From my experience, it goes better that way. Also, the simpler, the better.
Good luck!
annie13 is offline   Reply With Quote

flash123

Old 11-30-2008, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Unless your principal has a different agenda than he or she should..... be yourself. The purpose of teacher evaluation is to provide support and help teachers to improve and be the best that they can be. Teach what you are good at, what you are most comfortable with. If your lesson is way off from your regular routine/style it will be very obvious. Intro your lesson with clear kid friendly objectives stated to the students, relate in a natural way and modify your lesson if it is needed. Most of our daily lessons are not those WOW lessons. Let your principal see what is typical in your room. (This comes from someone with their masters in administration.)

flash123 is offline   Reply With Quote

gohokies

lesson
Old 12-05-2008, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Maybe you can find a poem that has the chunks you want to start with. Do you have any tape that is called highlighting tape? That is great stuff for isolating a sound you want. It is see through. I am sure you can google poems and can find something. Good luck!
gohokies is offline   Reply With Quote
teach05559

teach05559

prinicpal lesson
Old 12-07-2008, 02:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am looking and will send something. How lucky to get advanced notice. We may be told 10 minutes before a lesson that we are being observed. Good luck.