4th grade Valentine's Day - ProTeacher Community

Rubyslippers

4th grade Valentine's Day
Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do 4th graders exchange Valentines? I asked DS's teacher and she just e-mailed me with "if he wants to". That's not an answer. I wanted to know if it is normal for 4th graders to do or if he would be labeled "a baby" for doing so? He has some red bracelets he wants to give the girls and some lanyards for the boys. Does he need to attach some kind of note to them?

And while I am bugging people, what did youyr 4th graders do for Christmas? My son's class had a small party and some exchanged gifts. But they did nothing else as far as crafts gifts, or keepsakes for the parents, etc. Is this normal?

Applejack26

Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, I'm only in 4th this year, but I plan to exchange Valentine's this year.

For Christmas, we had a party and gift exchange. I also had the kids make an ornament from Oriental Exchange...nothing much.

As a normal 5th grade teacher, I have started to stop Valentine exchanges when the class has gotton boy/girl crazy by that time of year....and lately, it has been happening a lot! In 5th, for Christmas, we do a party and stocking stuffers, but no parent crafts. We do other Christmas projects that many times the kids give to their parents.

mushyk

Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Most of my fourth graders do, some choose not to. I don't tell them they have to but I do say if they are bringing cards they bring one for everyone.

We went to a United Way sponsored movie at the theatre this year. For $4 they watched a movie and got a small pop and popcorn.
The last day of school before the holiday its a half day so the gr4s and 5s watch a movie together. Some teachers have parties with food, I don't. No gifts and we don't make anything. In art the kids painted and decorated with glitter glue, a small wooden christmas tree ornament. That's it. Younger grades at our school do more.

Last edited by mushyk; 01-23-2009 at 03:45 PM..

klperry

Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, I teach 5th grade, and I think it is a personal choice, so "If he wants to" seems like an appropriate response to me. I don't force kids to do it, but they can as long as they have one for each student in the class. As far as "Christmas" we celebrate with a "Winter party" (Can't call it Christmas) and have a game, treats, etc. We have not done gift exchanges in several years. Some years I do crafts, but have to be careful about that. Last year I did have a parent complain that her child made an "ornament" (really it was a winter picture frame type thing with a ribbon on it.)

TTT

Valentines, yes!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Perhaps he could tape a Valentine to the lanyards and bracelets.

I'm in a district where we have a holiday party since not all kids celebrate Christmas. No, we do not make keepsakes for parents.

asq0303

Old 01-23-2009, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Most of my 4th graders usually give out Valentines. However I also follow the "if they want to" and "everybody or nobody" rules.

We did not make any holiday gifts this year. We are really under the pressure to make our scores improve. We were lucky we got some time to actually have a holiday party. As much as I would love to have them get creative. I can't take time time away from Math, Writing, Reading or Science. There already isn't enough time to complete all we need to do.

mizzreadalot

Old 01-23-2009, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My fourth graders usually do give cards out. They have already been asking about the note that gets sent home. For Christmas my kids did a gingerbread house party. We did not exchange gifts because I teach in an area where the kids can't afford it. I did do one Christmas craft that I tied into math and science. The kids made salt dough ornaments using measurement and science to predict the drying time.

MKat

Old 01-23-2009, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think it's nice when the teachers give the kids some direction. It is so awkward at that age.

When my son was in 5th grade he had a young male teacher who just didn't think about these things. I emailed him that my son was worrying about whether it was "cool" to give Valentines in 5th grade. He brought it up in a class meeting and the kids voted whether to exchange. Of course, they had the opportunity to opt out but the majority wanted to do it and then felt safe because they knew they weren't the only ones who would be bringing in Valentines.

I always liked that teacher. I think it is normal for the older elementary grades to have less focus on Valentine's Day - no crafty gifts, etc. - but most kids still enjoy the Valentine exchange and of course the cupcakes!

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-23-2009, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our 4th grade DD says yes, they are doing Valentines. For Christmas they just had a class party (food and goodie bags if parents wanted to send them in, but no gifts) and a special movie. They didn't bring home any gifts for parents either. We also have an 18 and 21 y/o and if I am remembering right, our oldest and youngest brought home their last "craft holiday gift" in second grade and our middle child brought his last one home in third.

Nancy

scarlett

They're really still babies for heaven's sake
Old 01-23-2009, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Fourth grade may be "upper" elementary, but in my experience, they love all the same thing the younger ones do. They love to exchange valentines, get stickers on their papers, pick from a prize box and have craft time. We had a pizza party for Christmas with a book exchange and made wreaths for their families. I am under the gun with getting ready for testing to, but it does them absolutely no good to stress them out to the point of taking away a little fun. That certainly is not going to improve the scores!

volstate

Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My 4th graders LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to exchange Valentines.

azteacher

Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach 4th grade and my kids have always exchanged valentines. They always get a kick of reading them. Like all others, it's a if you want you can but if you are, do one for everyone. Usually the parties consist of food, talking, hanging out with friends, and reading their cards. I don't do crafty stuff.

Christmas...normally I like to paint clear ornaments and have a small party. This year we decorated calendars (one of many wonderful things I have gotten from here!). We had a few snacks, wore our pjs, got our favorite pillows, blankets, and stuff animals and had a read-a-thon. I read out loud for a while, they read with each other, and we had our reading buddies come over and they read to them. It was an all afternoon affair. It turned out to be perfect timing because they made their goal for their compliment chain and chose to have a read-a-thon for their prize. So we made it a 2 for 1 thing and they were perfectly happy with that!

madelyneva

team customs
Old 01-24-2009, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

She is probably doing what the rest of her teachers on her team are doing.... as far as the Christmas crafts, keepsakes,etc-in my class, it depends on what the room mothers want to do/want to spend/time we are allowed to "party". I used to spend a lot of class time and a great amount of my money on keepsakes/ gifts for the parents, but I no longer do that. We create a simple keepsake with items from the school supply closet.

msk5

My students love Valentines
Old 01-24-2009, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Most of my 4th graders usually give out Valentines. They all love to receive them. The bracelets or lanyards would be fine. However I also follow the "if they want to" and "everybody or nobody" rules. So there are always one or two who don't. My other rule is no presents for others outside of our class room. I don't want flowers, candy, or stuffed animals being delivered all over the school.

For Christmas we adopted "two angels" from another school in our area. The students worked, earned money and then bought the gifts and some clothes that these two needed. we did some crafts because one of my students had a relative who came in and really had fun with them. I'm not crafty so that worked well. We also had a small party on the last day of school. We are only allowed two parties a year. Our next one will be at the end of the year in May.

JenInWV

Old 01-24-2009, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach a 4/5 split and I give the option of bringing Valentines. Most of the kids do, though. Like everyone else, I follow the "everybody or nobody" rule. As for Christmas, we had a small party with punch and cookies after our Christmas chapel service (private school), but we did not exchange gifts or make crafts. They did do Christmas things in Art class, however.