quiet in the hallway - ProTeacher Community

elem sub

elem sub

quiet in the hallway
Old 12-10-2008, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you keep the line quiet as you move through the hallway?
Thanks!

nrv2005

mystery walker
Old 12-10-2008, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I tell the class at the beginning of the day that I am looking for a mystery walker. This mysterfy walker is walking the quietest and not bothering anyone or anything. I usually give a little treat before lunch to a mystery walker. This lets the kids know I'm serious. At the end of the day I announce the winner - usually a bigger treat. Whenever we get ready to go out I tell them don't forget I'm looking for my mystery walker. This works for elementary kiddos. The treats are stickers, notepads, etc.
nrv2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

kyteach06

Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a hard time keeping the kids quiet while walking in the halls at certain schools. You can tell which classes have really practiced good behavior in the hallways. No matter which school or grade level I am in, I always go over proper hallway behavior before we walk out the door. However, for one class I have subbed in a lot this semester, the class has no hallway manners at all! They jump from tile to tile, skip down the hall, and others barely walk leaving a huge gap. Last time I was there, I made one particular kid walk on the other side of the hallway with me. I have also made them go to the back of the line.

One school I sub in the most the kids are all awesome in the hall. They have a school-wide hallway discipline plan and implement a "level of 0" (zero talking) in the halls. If another teacher gives the class a compliment on their good behavior, the class gets a compliment paper put on their door for others to see. Pretty neat idea. One particular class I subbed for told me about a silent game they play in the hall when waiting for classmates to finish in the bathroom. The teacher picks the quietest student in the line. That student gets out of the line and walks up and down the line looking for the quietest person. They tap the next person and take their spot and the new person looks for the next quietest person. It worked like a dream!
kyteach06 is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

what I do...
Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I usually stop the kids at every corner...or at the end of the hallway. If they are being loud, I give them time to quiet down and get back into a straight line.

I always make sure to give them clear expectations about hallway behavior/noise BEFORE we walk down the hall. If they get loud, I stop them and make them quiet down again.

I do a "finger test" for straight lines! I stand in front of the line and put up my first finger. I tell the kids that they should all be lined up behind my finger and faces forward.
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

Quiet Contest
Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My First Graders ,this year in particular, love them and it really works.

I usually have boys vs. girls. Every time a boy talks, makes noise, etc... - girls get a point and visa versa.

It is amazing how good they get at the game in such a short amount of time.

Any by the way, it includes quiet feet.

msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

lol
Old 12-17-2008, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

w/ little kids I stop the line and wait on them to be quiet. I have a a good stare. Then I remind them of the rules lol

For jr high and high school I tell them to stay quiet in the hall. If they do not we return to the room. Which may mean no computer time, no research time, whatever. Their own fault. If it is lunch that means htey will be late and not get time to eat. It may mean if they ditched us and don't return to the room w/ us they get counted absent (our high school doesn't make them walk in lines they sort of just go)

grav_def

I know this is old but...
Old 01-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've found that this works like magic for kids up to about third grade: I tell them before we leave the classroom that we're going to try to sneak up on the music teacher, or the cafeteria people, or whoever, and surprise them. But it'll only work if they don't hear us coming! My reminders are then usually along the lines of, "uh oh, we're getting close, I hope Mrs. Smith can't hear you talking."

Making a game of it helps a LOT! And I usually let them say "boo!" when we get there, if they did a good job in the hall.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote