Help

Future Teachers

western governors university

>

lolipop

western governors university
Old 11-03-2007, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone taking classes or working on a degree through Western Governors University? If so, I'd love to know what you think of their programs. I'm thinking about going through them. Thanks for any info you are able to give me.

lolipop is offline   Reply With Quote

MommyTN

Wgu
Old 11-07-2007, 02:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm working on my master's through there. To be completely honest, it is a ton of busy work and doesn't really have a whole lot of educational value for me. Since I've been teaching a while and am only doing this for the raise, I've decided I don't care. It's not easy work though, and is VERY time consuming. There are no classes, you just get a list of tasks you have to complete for each subject and go from there. For example, I'm doing a research class right now and my tasks involve about 8 essays. The best part about WGU is the price. They charge $2750 for a six month term. You go at your own pace so you can take as many classes as you want in that time. Whether you finish one class or 10, the price is still $2750. Oh, and I have yet to buy a book, just haven't needed one. Hope that helps!
MommyTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Graduate

Graduate

Busy work for busy folks
Old 05-16-2008, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

WGU is an amazing experience. You can actual get a certificate from an NCATE certified school without studying, buying books or actually knowing anything. There is tons of busy work but it can be churned out via cut and paste (just for fun I let my fifth grader try some master's level work- she passed). The tests are quirky and often call for wrong answers, but they too are easy to game if you work backwards from the pre-tests. This isn't education in a real sense, but hey it's not hard and the price is right.

certify

licensure in New Jersey
Old 10-18-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hello everyone! I'm considering starting the MAT in elementary education program at Western Governors University. I am not a licensed teacher and am looking for feedback from anyone who has actually been certified in their own state by completing a teacher certification program at WGU. If there any current teachers in New Jersey who acquired their initial teacher certification through WGU, I would appreciate your feedback on whether the New Jersey department of Education accepts degrees from WGU leading to licensure in New Jersey. Thanks!
certify is offline   Reply With Quote