Help

The VENT

Masks

>

MightyTeach

Masks
Old 12-08-2020, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today a student went into the principal (with a classmate) and told her I wasnít wearing my mask. ó I have religiously been wearing my mask as I am a cancer survivor and an older teacher. P wasnít sure she wanted to tell me but thought it best to. I always wear my mask - para agrees I do. She was surprised that this student said this. I am so hurt - I just worked very hard to put work together for this who is going away for a month. I have tried so hard to help this student and feel hurt - did she do this because I told her she was too close to another student or because I mentioned that she missed her study hall.

Ugh - everything is starting to really take a toll on me. I just feel so deflated. Not sure if I should say something to the student or just let it go. I feel I should just let it go but it hurts when you put your heart and soul into teaching and something like this happens.

MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 12-08-2020, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

ugghh...that really hurts. If you let it go the child feels more empowered to do it again. I would have a private conversation with the student but make sure in a room with other people. Keep your voice low and ask the child for more respect and to stop lying.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 12-08-2020, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Personally I wouldn’t let it go. I would have a quiet talk with her about the ripple effects of lying about people. Your para or another adult should be present in the room. There are consequences for lying about others and she needs to be reminded of that.

Last edited by Tapdancesub; 12-08-2020 at 04:06 PM..
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Old 12-08-2020, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow that's so awful. When I was a student I don't think it ever would have occurred to me to tell on a teacher at all, unless it was an abuse type thing.

The lying sounds almost psychopathic. Lying to get out of trouble is one thing.... She def needs to be called on it and her parents should be told too. They are raising a liar and a bully, and something needs to change quick for this girl. Scary.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Would not let it go...
Old 12-08-2020, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would meet with the student and have the para there for support and corroboration. It never ceases to amaze me what liberties students take and the lack of respect (and in this case, honesty) that some students feel they are empowered to do. It definitely sounds retaliatory to me on the part of the student.

Don't feel deflated. Try to focus on the other wonderful students in the class who bring you joy.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-08-2020, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What did the P say to the student? I would hope that you and P would together determine what would happen next. After all the student 1) lied to P 2) about you.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thought...
Old 12-09-2020, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would ask the principal to have a meeting with you and the girl. In no uncertain terms, I would have the principal make it clear that the report the child made was wrong and a lie. Then I would have the child call her parents while still sitting in the principal's office...put the phone call on speaker...so the child can explain to her parents why she is in the office. This needs to be nipped in the butt with serious consequences.

I think if would be a good idea to also have a principal/teacher conference with the classmate. It sounds like she is a follower and not making wise decisions about who to follow.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Mask
Old 12-09-2020, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately the student is leaving for a vacation and I wonít have opportunity to talk with her. Iím just going to move forward and document this - both my paras support me. By the way this student is known to have created ďdramaĒ in the past. Thanks everyone - this is such a difficult time to be teaching and it seems no one understands unless they are on the frontline.
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

In My Opinion...
Old 12-09-2020, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Even though this child is going on vacation, you still need to address it when she returns. If she feels she can get away with her poor behavior, she will continue to "create drama."

Thank goodness you will not need to deal with her for a short time. It will be a vacation for you too.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 12-10-2020, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Iím curious as to what the principalís response to the student was.

I would be contacting my union.

There needs to be repercussions.

No way would I be letting this go.

Finally. We are in the midst of a global pandemic. Who goes on vacation now?

imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote