Retired Teachers

For those still working

>

AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

For those still working
Old 01-02-2021, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those who retired and are still working, was this planned or did you find yourself having to go back to work?

Keltikmom
Old 01-02-2021, 07:20 PM
This message has been deleted by Keltikmom.

luvtulearn

plans????
Old 01-02-2021, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What are those????

Lots have things have transpired since I retired in June so. . .I will begin taking classes for a extra reading certificate beginning Mon. to help with tutoring if and when that becomes a possibility.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 01-02-2021, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I retired I talked to some people in our district about an interest in working part time following the mandatory wait period. We couldn’t discuss anything specifically, but they knew that if they had a need for something I could offer I would consider it.

I wound up working for 4 more years in a part time position I really enjoyed. I then turned 62 so I began collecting SS. That being said, I don’t miss teaching any more. I hang on to the memories of what fun I had with the kids and my coworkers, but am realistic enough to know how the teaching environment at my school has changed a lot.

Last edited by Cat woman; 01-03-2021 at 10:00 AM..
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Retired, working part time
Old 01-02-2021, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I didn’t need or plan to work after I retired from the district where I taught for 35 years. I was happily retired for about five years when I was recruited to teach adults part time. I’ve done it for the past three years, and this year I’m teaching via Zoom. I enjoy it because my students are all motivated adults who want to earn their HS diploma for work or personal satisfaction. And it’s part time.

I wouldn’t have retired from my district if I had still needed to work. The extra money I currently earn is nice but I am glad I don’t have to work if I don’t want to. Retirement is more enjoyable when finances are adequate.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 01-03-2021, 02:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I work as a guide at a local museum a couple days a week in "museum season". I like the job so much I would do it for free...and did, this summer, when a Covid closure cost the museum so much they could not afford to pay tour guides.

I work for my own pleasure!

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Retirement Job
Old 01-03-2021, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I retired, I planned to sub for my district and only at my old school.

I did that for awhile, but found it was not what I thought it would be. I was working long hours and having to get up early once again. Then the librarian adopted a child from a foreign country. Her job was part time, and subbing for her worked out very well.

Then a member of our intervention team was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was asked to sub for her, and two months turned into seven months. I loved this part time job. Working with small groups part time was perfect for me.

I asked my supervisor how I could do this intervention job. She told me I needed a reading certification, which I'd had but let lapse when I retired. I contacted the Department of Instruction in my state to find out what it would take to get recertified. I took the six credits, did the background check, etc. and was recertified within three months. The following school year, I was offered an intervention job and have been an interventionist for seven years.

I don't need to work. This job was not planned. In fact, not in my wildest dreams did I think this would be an opportunity for me after retirement.
ConnieWI is online now   Reply With Quote

potter403

Not planned
Old 01-03-2021, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My husband lost his job and our insurance due to the pandemic. I retired at 50 so DH could relocate for his dream job. We are too young to receive Medicare. Luckily I got a teaching position in the same grade from which I retired. I am actually happy to be teaching again but do miss being relaxed and retired.
potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 01-03-2021, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I retired early due to health concerns. I didn't think I would need to work but a personal and ensuing financial crisis forced me to go back to work.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Colnnie WI
Old 01-03-2021, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I absolutely loved being a reading intervention teacher!!!! When the district suddenly disbanded or dissolved all intervention positions in my district it was a complete shock to all the staff . I knew that the following year would be my last year teaching. If they hadn't dissolved the positions I would have taught 1 more year.

When my district opens to in person learning (if ever) I have been asked to do ELD testing for a period of 2 months . I might do that.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 01-03-2021, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I want to retire, but covid has changed so many things. Also, wondering about retiring but possibly working in a noneducational field.

Song of Joy

Old 01-03-2021, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My husband and I are the same age and we both started taking Social Security at age 66. We both have retirement jobs that we love and we do it because it gives us joy, gives structure to our week, and provides money for the extras. However, we would be okay without working.

I tutor 15 hours a week and have enjoyed getting to know so many families. On occasion they invite me to their piano recitals and plays (pre-COVID) and I love the connection. My husband is the fix-it guy at the school where I used to teach and he is treated like a rock star by the students and the staff appreciate him so much. We both have total flexibility but have tried to work M/T/Th and leave Fridays as a date day. We can take off 2 - 3 weeks anytime we want.

To be honest, I enjoy that my husband has to leave the house once in a while and I'm glad for a reason to get dressed and ready for each new day.

We'll re-evaluate our part time jobs when we turn 70, but for now it's been a perfect transition from working full time.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Old 01-04-2021, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I began a small direct sales business 7 years before retirement as something fun to do. I basically had family and coworkers as customers. But after retirement, I was able to branch out and increase my time. It has been a real blessing for me to meet new people and eventually make new friends. It also gave to give me a reason to get up, get dressed, and out the door a couple times a week. (pre-covid) In the past year, I have become more active on social media to draw sales so it is still giving this brain some challenge to learn something new. I also have my own schedule and don't have to have someone else dictating my time.
twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote