Help

Retired Teachers

How Long does it Last...or am I the only one

>

TheTrunch

How Long does it Last...or am I the only one
Old 10-12-2018, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I go to bed still in disbelief that I don't have to get up at a specified time and that I don't have to march to any drum, but the one I play. There's no feeling of pressure from having to get certain things done and that is still a strange feeling to me. It takes me aback for a few seconds.

Of course, I'm busy with the grandkids. There's 6 of them and my daughter needs help. I started doing Reading Recovery (early literacy) lessons with the 5-year-old. I pick her up at 12 from Kinder and bring her to my house. We do a little lesson...Letter book, new letter, forming the new letter, read a familiar book, practice a word, write a sentence, and then read a new book. I'm back in the routine, but it's with my little sweetie pie now. Then I teach her something she likes. How to pop popcorn in a pan. How to make a smoothie. How to roll out cookie dough. I'm having so much rewarding time with her. It's like a flashback to when my daughter was 5.

So being retired means I am available to give lots of rides and attend lots of functions...Today I picked up the 8-year-old and together with the 18-year-old we go Blaze pizza and ordered an extra one for the 15-year old that we then picked up from school. Did I mention I babysat the 2-year-old this morning?

I ended up by picking up the only boy, a twelve-year-old, from the skate park and taking him to In and Out.

Seems like my retirement is looking like Parenting 2.0. I love it.

TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

You sound very busy
Old 10-12-2018, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

while having fun! Enjoy those grandchildren. They grow up so fast!
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-12-2018, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can hear your joy! How lovely. Iím so glad youíre enjoying retirement.

To answer your question: no, it never gets old for me. I am surprised and amazed by retirement every single day. I really loved teaching, but this life is the best. My retirement looks very different from yours, yet I am grateful and happy. I often think, ďI get paid to do this?Ē
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-12-2018, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Itís been a year and a half and I still feel that way. Whenever I hear of some stupid education thing, I think about how glad I am that I donít have to deal with it. And I have a new grandson that I babysit every Monday. I look forward to to doing all the stuff you mentioned with him! You have a very busy retirement!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 10-13-2018, 01:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm glad you're enjoying your retirement! Not only are you having fun, but your grandchildren will have these great memories of time spent with you and you are enriching their lives.

forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 10-13-2018, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Eight years retired, and I am still excited about doing what I want and when I want!
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Yay!
Old 10-13-2018, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It sounds like you are enjoying retirement a great deal. Spending all that time with your grandchildren must be wonderful.

I retired three years ago and feel like this is the happiest time of my life. Sometimes I can't believe that I get paid to do whatever I want.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

I hear ya
Old 10-13-2018, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I retired in '13 and even though a great deal of thought, planning and paperwork, I still am amazed that my life is MY LIFE.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

Lucky you!
Old 10-13-2018, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Having so many grands, and having them close by! That's great. You are so present in their lives.They are lucky, too.

To answer the question you posed, it does take awhile to get used to the idea that your time is your own. I retired last December, and for a couple of months whenever I noticed the time during the day, I immediately thought about what I'd be doing in school..."It's guided reading time." or "Recess is just finishing up." It does gradually go away, though.

Enjoy your new freedom and new responsibilities.
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Kalpana

Retirement is Wonderful!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just retired this past summer, as of 1st August, and I can certainly confirm that retirement is wonderful! I loved teaching with all my heart. I loved being an administrator and helping to bring all things together in a good manner. But now, I love being retired! No grandchildren to fill my days, but plenty of activities to keep me busy. I have embraced this new chapter in life with joy and enthusiasm. I don't think it will ever become old or boring.

Kalpana is offline   Reply With Quote