Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

COVID vaccine questions

>

Marriedin79

COVID vaccine questions
Old 12-06-2020, 01:37 PM

1. If you get the vaccine, will you still need to wear a mask? Our county has a mask mandate until April 2021, and I am wondering if one wouldn't need to wear a mask because one can't catch it. How would TPTB know if you've had one or not?
  2. Will there be choices as to which vaccine to take?

Marriedin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

lacey2

Vaccine
Old 12-06-2020, 01:47 PM

From what I've heard, after we get the vaccine, we'll still need to mask up for a while because apparently, we may still be able to transmit the virus although we will be protected from getting it. I also figure that it will take some time for the vaccine to build up in our systems.

As far as choices, I'm hearing that we probably will not have a choice, at least the first year or so. States will be given whatever is available, and we'll just need to take the one offered. Dr. Fauci said on one program that he would take the first one that is available to him.
lacey2 is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 12-06-2020, 01:49 PM

From information I have seen, since people will need two doses and are not going to be able to get both at the same time, they will still need to wear masks. They actually recommend everyone continue to wear them even after getting the second dose because it is going to take some time for immunity to build and to see how it affects everyone.

I heard on the news that anyone getting the vaccine will get a paper to keep in their wallet indicating that they had the vaccine. I suppose there could be choices about which one to take. I guess it depends on what tier each person is allowed to get it in as far as order of allocation, and which vaccines have been approved by the FDA at that point. Also, some employees will be able to get it at their place off work so those people will get whichever one is being offered there.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Vaccine
Old 12-06-2020, 01:49 PM

I would say yes you should still take precautions and wear a mask. Clean hands after being in public, limit outings and contact with others.....

I doubt there will be a choice in which company your vaccine comes from. But if you have a preference call around and see which different facilities have to offer. My bet is they will send different brands to different areas.

I believe medical staff and hospital workers will be given first opportunities to take the vaccine.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-06-2020, 02:03 PM

It's highly likely that vaccines won't be available till spring at least for the general public. There are many health care workers who will come first. Then staff and residents in long term care facilities. Next either very elderly or those at high risk.

Eventually we will get our opportunity, but it is unlikely that we will be able to choose. The choice I expect to be given is take it or leave it. I'm taking it!

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

There are also
Old 12-06-2020, 02:17 PM

quite a few more possible vaccines in the pipeline (several are in the last stage trials), so it's possible by next summer or so there may be multiple different ones available.
letsgomets is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-06-2020, 02:18 PM

I have heard that we can't expect precautions, such as mask wearing, to just go away once people start getting the vaccine. I keep hearing that 70% of people need to take it for it to be effective, and that when you personally get the vaccine doesn't mean you can stop worrying about yourself. I guess I don't really understand that part.

I mean, I get it from a whole public health perspective- just because some people have a vaccine doesn't mean you can stop worrying about hospitals being overwhelmed and all of that, from all of the people who don't have the vaccine. And it makes sense to say masks are still required in public places, because you don't know whose had it. But if I personally have the vaccine, and it's 90-94% effective like they're saying, why would I need to still be personally worried about catching covid? I don't know what I'm missing but that piece doesn't make sense to me.

As far as getting a choice, I don't see that happening, unless it's maybe way, way down the line. Like the pp said, I think the choice will be take it or leave it. Superintendents in my state are advocating for teachers to be moved up the list, if we're going to say that the schools are essential and should be open regardless of community virus numbers (which is what the governor and many others are saying). I will take it as soon as it's offered to me.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Vaccine
Old 12-06-2020, 02:26 PM

As far as the masks go, I heard Dr. Faucci say we should still wear masks even after the vaccine. This makes me wonder, though, will there ever be a time when we can stop wearing masks again and go back to normal? I can't remember is reasoning, and I'm hoping it's just because not everyone will be able to get it right away (starting with front line workers and higher risk groups). Maybe once it becomes more widespread, we can go back to normal?

For choices, I feel like I've been reading about vaccines from two companies, both similar. I guess it depends on which ones the hospitals, pharmacies, etc. get?

On another note, I was reading an article that the side effects tend to mimic Covid and that after the second dose, people in the trial had to stay home for a day or two due to some symptoms. I've never gotten sick or too bad of side effects from a vaccination, and I'm sure it's not as bad as COVID and that getting it would help stop the spread, but it still worries me about getting sick from it.

On another note, what's TPTB stand for?
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 12-06-2020, 02:29 PM

From what I have read we will still be wearing masks for a while. It will take a while for everyone to be vaccinated. Vaccines are not 100% effective for everybody. We will need a large percentage of people vaccinated to protect those who are not fully protected. Then these are brand new vaccines. We do not know if they will be life long protection or it will wear off and need to given again.

Plus don't forget the mask resistant. You won't be able to tell if an unmasked person has been vaccinated or mask resistant. So until this pandemic is up under control it is reasonable to continue mask wearing.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Mask Wearing After the Vaccine
Old 12-06-2020, 02:32 PM

I would say you will be wearing a mask until almost everyone has the vaccination. It would just make sense. Just because you get a flu shot does not mean you will not get the flu. It just means that the flu you get will be less serious than if you had gotten the flu without a flu shot.

When I was riding in the car the other day, they were discussing on the radio that vaccine card you will get after your second dose. There is talk you will need to show that card if you plan to buy tickets to attend a concert, see a play, etc.

I think some people will have a problem with this rule...same people who grump about wearing a mask...but not me. I don't want to be sitting at a concert wondering if the people around me have been vaccinated. I already wonder at school about which kids have not been vaccinated when one of our teachers is pregnant because should those children get certain childhood diseases, it can effect an unborn baby.

The duration of the vaccine will also be an issue. Because the roll-out has been rushed, they are only able to test for antibodies in people who have had the vaccine for three months. Usually, it takes years to roll-out a vaccine and companies are able to test and test and test to see how long the antibodies last. Not so this time. Only time will tell how long the antibodies last. Who knows...you might be getting this vaccine every six months??

Last edited by ConnieWI; 12-06-2020 at 03:20 PM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

CricketSong

Old 12-06-2020, 02:35 PM

Many people with Covid are fine, but some who were deeply affected and it got into their lungs are told to wear a mask for the next year because OTHER respiratory viruses can get them and land then in the hospital due to the long healing time for their damaged lungs. I donít know about those with the vaccine, but seeing it needs a double dose, it will make sense to keep masks around awhile for them as well.
CricketSong is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-06-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
90-94% effective like they're saying, why would I need to still be personally worried about catching covid?
If it's 90% effective, that means 10% of people who get the vaccine could still get the disease. The vaccine also may simply suppress symptoms much like the flu vaccine might not prevent you from getting the flu but will prevent you from getting a serious form of the flu. If that's the case, you might have COVID and not know it (like now but even more widespread). There is also no solid data on the duration of immunity because of the rapid roll out.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 12-06-2020, 03:30 PM

If I recall, Fauci has been pretty honest about the vaccine not getting things back to normal. I took that to mean masks and such would be with us until whenever.
Englishish is online now   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

Old 12-06-2020, 03:34 PM

TPTB = The powers that be
Marriedin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

If I am able to get the vaccine
Old 12-06-2020, 06:26 PM

I will still wear a mask if CoVid is still spreading. It isn't just keeping others safe, it is also about making them feel safe. No one would know that I could not spread the disease, so why make them nervous or uncomfortable.

I know people who have had CoVid 19 and are now in the stage where they are immune. They wear a mask and socially distance for the above reason and also because it is the mandate.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
TPTB = The powers that be
Thanks!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

LMS06to13

Masks
Old 12-07-2020, 07:28 AM

I'm planning on getting the vaccine when it is available to me, and also plan on wearing my mask for the majority of 2021 at least. I don't really have a problem with wearing the mask (and I know it's not for everyone) but considering the alternative, I feel as though it's a small price to pay.
LMS06to13 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Yes. Wear the mask.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:09 AM

Many people will not get the vaccine so the mask will be very important. I will be wearing one well into 2021!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikecoffee

You're all making...
Old 12-18-2020, 08:14 PM

You're all making the mistake of thinking. The government never wants you to think.

Besides, there won't be many of us left after all of this is over. According to statistics, only 99.98% are going to survive this plague.
Mikecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote