should a teacher follow the school rules? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

should a teacher follow the school rules?

>

mrsb203

should a teacher follow the school rules?
Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Before we go on, for the most part I do beleive that teachers should observe school rules, not just because it's a rule but to set an example. However, there are always exceptions to the rules....We recently sent a reminder home of certain school rules that have become a little lax. The one that I'm interested in is the policy on shoes. The rule states no open back shoes or high heels for safety reasons, especially on the playground (we have a large area that is covered in rubber tire chips).
Normally I wear walking shoes for good support but I'm sitting here reading the Sunday paper looking at new shoes and just thinking......

mrsb203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fanny

Fanny

Ahh the shoe dilemma
Old 06-28-2006, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have the shoe rule. In fact it is ED Code. The students are to wear sandals with a back and socks! These rules are for the safety of the children...

So as teachers are we running at recess? Just our PE teacher who wears athletic shoes.

Are we jumping, swinging from the bars/equipment? Not recently.

I tell my students that since I am not playing the games and participating in the same PE/activities I don't have to worry about my high heels/sandals causing a safety problem. But notice what I wear on a field trip/day TENNIES and SOCKS!

Happy Shoe Shopping~!

goldenbeads

Coffee and Driving
Old 07-31-2009, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always go back to coffee and driving. I've never seen a school that allowed students soda or coffee during the school day - how many teachers' rooms have soda machines? How many of us arrive with coffee mugs?

and . . . as a grownup, I'm old enough to be able to drive, vote, enlist - there are some things that are different for adults. It just is.

I modified my wardrobe when our school went to uniforms - no more jeans, no tanks/sleeveless shirts (even in 90 degrees), no flip-flops/crocs. Many staff members didn't. I think that we should be examples, but not examples of how to be a good student, examples of how to be good grownups.
goldenbeads is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Children rules do not have to be the same as teacher rules.

If the teachers are supposed to follow the student rules, then they should follow them. Otherwise, a student rule is a student rule.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote