ARCHIVE

Centers-based Classroom

>

Spitzerr

Spitzerr

Centers-based classroom
Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In response to your question about a center-based classroom, I incorporate center work as much as possible in my classroom. I use center work for Reading time where the students have a Reading Centers chart I created for them and they have the same center each day. The centers are Guided Reading, Independent reading, Comprehension Log, Working with Words, Writing Center, Reading Center, and Computer Center. I practice using centers for the first 2 weeks and while I meet with a reading group, the others are at a center working. I have a timer and when it rings after 20 minutes, they all switch. Example: Tanner's first center is to independently read for 20 minutes while others are doing other things or I'm teaching reading. Then the bell rings and Tanner completes his comprehension log. Then the bell rings after 20 minutes and he meets with me and his reading group. The bell rings for the last 20 minutes and he goes to work at his Literacy center (either words, writing, reading, etc.)

I vary the center every 1-2 weeks so the students have variety but they are comfortable. I love centers because they allow the students to work on different benchmarks without me. I do have a sheet the students have to fill out telling me where they worked each day and I have complete directions at each center so the students don't have to ask me any questions. I also go over each center every day before reading so they know the directions ahead of time.

The worst part was getting everyone into a schedule and to work independently...but after a couple of weeks, they did really well! I love centers! If you have a chatty bunch, you can also have them do independent work at their desk instead of at a center.

I also use centers for math time. We use the Everyday Mathematics series and there is a lot to get done in each lesson. I've found that I get more done in an hour than I ever did before I used centers. I do the same kind of schedule where I'm teaching a group of math students for 20 minutes while the other students are working in math centers, focusing on that math lesson.

I know this all sounds overwhelming, but I have really liked centers. At the beginning of the year I was apprehensive, but I'm glad I've used centers.

kt

Centers-based Classroom
Old 04-02-2006, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does anyone out there teach 3rd grade with a centers-based classroom? It is something I'm investigating, and want to know from others' experience. I'm toying with the idea. I do Language Arts as centers-based right now, but wonder about shifting the whole classroom to centers for all subjects. Is it a ton of work? Is classroom management easier or harder? What about like-ability grouping versus heterogeneous grouping? Do kids miss the ownership of "their" desk? Is 3rd grade too old for this type of classroom? Is deferentiating for instruction easier or harder? What are the pitfalls? Do they get tired of that kind of learning? Is it chaos? Will I go nuts???? Is there a way to ease into it and try it without throwing the baby out with the bathwater? I like small groups, and somewhat have a handle on keeping everyone working at the same time, but as you can see, I'm unsure about having my whole teaching day in that style. I will have a class of 30ish, is that too many to try this? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.
kt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Mr. Moore
Old 04-03-2006, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Take a look at this:

http://www.geocities.com/mrmooresclassroom/index.html

Mr. Moore has a centers-based classroom and his website is very interesting.
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

kt

Cool!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for this great resource!

lis3569

Old 04-03-2006, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What a great site! I was in awe at the size of his classroom and all the materials he has!

lis3569 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda B

Center Site
Old 04-18-2006, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi,

I saw your post but could not get it to work. Did it just go dead or is it my browser?

Thanks,
Linda
Linda B is offline   Reply With Quote

kt

website trouble
Old 04-18-2006, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I tried to get to this site at school, and was amazed to find that it was blocked by our district filter. I tried it at home (from the same link) and got through. Could that be it? It is an amazing website, and worth the effort to get there.
Lynne/TX

Lynne/TX

Centers Based Classroom
Old 04-20-2006, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Debbie Diller has a couple of books out. Can't remember what the 3-6 title is. I'm going to her workshops in July, and can hardly wait! I taught first grade for many many years, and I started out using the centers I used there, just beefed them up to third grade level. There's also a book called "What Are the Other Children Doing While I'm Teaching" that has some good ideas. Seems like it's hard to find center activities for older kids, most of the literature covers K-2, guess they think only the "little kids" use centers. Good luck!

Shannie422

centers every day?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi-- I also enjoy centers, but I was wondering if this was something you did EVERY day? or a couple times a week? I do centers twice a week and it's tough enough trying to come up with ideas on those days to keep them interested and busy.... I can't imagine daily... any thoughts?
Shannie422 is offline   Reply With Quote