Special Education

Great Leaps

>

MellnFL

MellnFL

Great Leaps
Old 01-19-2006, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use the Great Leaps for Reading.....assessing Phonics, ect?
I just got trained on it and was wondering how useful it is. It is very easy to use, but not sure how practical it really is yet.

dramacentral

Old 01-23-2006, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I adapted the program for my small group of 6 reading students. I found that having them rate themselves and each other on fluency was more effective than just having them read for speed with me. They enjoyed going through the stories, particularly when they got to the multi-part series near the end. I thought it was helpful to spend a few minutes each day on fluency and, although I don't use that program anymore (my phonics program has a built in fluency component) I still take about 10 minutes of each class period to do a Great Leaps-style activity.
dramacentral is offline   Reply With Quote
MellnFL

MellnFL

Old 01-23-2006, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your input. I am using it and not sure how it is helping quite yet. Once I get my aides trained they can take it over for the most part. My kids won't get to the fluency part of it. They are K-2 and I only have 2 that can read very little.

dramacentral

Old 01-23-2006, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I did the program, I had kids who were reading at a 2nd grade level or above. I'm not as familiar with the k-2 module but after looking at the sample materials online, I can say it's pretty similar to the materials that came with the reading program I'm using now. One thing that I find helpful with my emergent readers is keeping a simple record of what page they're on and how many items correct. Each day I point out one or two things they did well or a strategy that might work. Over time I've noticed them getting faster and more fluent, though from one day to the next it might not be apparent immediately.

Sorry I couldn't help more!
SpecialEdTeac

SpecialEdTeac

Old 03-03-2006, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am about to start Great Leaps with an 8th grade boy. After reading over the directions a number of times I am still confused about something. After reading a page, if he does not meet the goal for speed or accuracy, does he read the same page the next day (or days) until he gets it, or do you move along to a new page every day?

dramacentral

Old 03-03-2006, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

He stays on that page until it is mastered.

However - if it is likely to be a difficult page, you may need to institute the possibility of practicing first. Otherwise he could be stuck on that page for a long time. Many of my kids need to be "warmed up" before they can successfully perform, even for routine skills, an LD trait that Great Leaps doesn't really account for.
SpecialEd Te

SpecialEd Te

Old 03-06-2006, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for the tip. We start on Wednesday and it is good to be prepared!
Leif

Leif

title one teacher
Old 03-21-2006, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use great leaps with 9 kids individually (K-2) It works! But don't be afraid to adapt it to fit the need of your students. I added a few pages in the phonics section, because I thought it advanced my students too quickly. Make sure to reread the instructions once in a while to maintain the integrity of the program. It's easy to gradually change the routine and thus lose the integrity of the timings...try to stick to the "mastery" concept-don't advance them too quickly!
Ken Campbell

Ken Campbell

Great Leaps
Old 05-06-2006, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for giving such solid advice! Ken Campbell, author, Great Leaps
Annc

Annc

questions about the Great Leaps charts
Old 08-12-2006, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am planning to use great leaps with my 2nd and 3rd graders. l have some questions about record keeping. Do you note the actual erros made by the students or just the number of errors per page? Also, do you use the graph sheets that came with Great Leaps or did you make your own? I find the ones that come with the program hard to read, especially for the students.

Ken Campbell

Ken Campbell

Great Leaps
Old 09-22-2006, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You can always give us a call at the office with your questions.
Ken Campbell, author, Great Leaps
Ken

Ken

Great Leaps
Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Please call about LD research and the use of Great Leaps. Ken Campbell, author

Kirkologist

need support/training
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have inherited all the materials for the Great Leaps program from a prior reading volunteer, but no manuals or instructions or teachers guide, just the passages and some scoring sheets. How can I learn how to use the materials ASAP? My administrator wants me to start this week.
Kirkologist is offline   Reply With Quote