Help

Substitute Teachers

ASEOP system

>

VA teacher

ASEOP system
Old 07-14-2013, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I thought I would get some input from those that have already used this program as substitutes. Our county will be using this system this upcoming school year and I haven't heard anything good about it! As a sub what are your opinions? I have heard that if you turn down a call then anything else available that day isn't available to you. I am a teacher and am concerned about how subs will be placed in the classrooms. I already have a sub booked for a week in January 2014 for a week long cruise! Now I've been told the computer will get my sub and I can't have 1 sub for the entire week due to the new Obama Care regulations. Subs are only allowed to work 25 hours a week in our county so I will have to have 2 subs for 5 days. (seems incredibly stupid to me but who am I?) So...just wanting some sub input! TIA!

VA teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

My understanding ...
Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is that your district sets the parameters for Aesop. I have a small district that uses it, and teachers are able to request the sub they prefer. I have turned down jobs on Aesop and have continued to receive calls for other assignments for the same day.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I actually love AESOP as a sub, although many others don't like it. It allows us to choose which jobs we want to take without having to say "no" to a human. Aesop can be set up in 100 different ways depending on the school district. Some districts allow teachers to create a preferred sub list, which really doesn't work too well since the preferred subs tend to already be booked in advance anyway, therefore the assignment would be available to all the subs. Some districts also allow teachers to block or remove a sub they do not want in their class. It may be a good idea to contact your school's sub coordinator to see what options teachers will have with aesop. In some districts, If a sub cancels an assigned job, they are basically suspended from taking another job on the same day. Again, it depends on how your particular district sets aesop up. Regarding Obama Care, employers are now NOT required to provide health insurance for employees working over 30 hours a week until 2015. The employer mandate was pushed back to 2015, so having the same sub for a week, if they are certified, shouldn't be a problem for THIS school year at least. I have a feeling the whole thing will eventually be repealed or re-written simply because no one wants to/or can afford to pay for something this expensive to be mandated. Just my opinion. Back to aesop....I think you would like it depending on how much power they give teachers to control which subs they get. Good luck and keep us posted on how it works out for you. I'm sure it will be shaky at first while the district works out the kinks and determines how they want to set it up.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishmama

I really liked AESOP
Old 07-14-2013, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The problems you're encountering must be coming from your district. The limit on hours is awful! I made my living as a full-time sub for 5 years! That's a good way to lose teachers who are trying to get experience.

However, my surrounding districts had so many subs that getting a job that you weren't requested for, was very difficult. The moment the job popped up, it was GONE. Furthermore we were told to accept the job immediately, and if you didn't like it, release it back into the system.

I recommend learning how to request a preferred sub. Some districts allow the office staff to key a person in (after okay from sub).
However, if you have a top 5 list, and you post your absence, the job will go to ALL 5 subs, not just your #1. And, if it is not accepted in a certain amount of time, it will be released to the public. By the time your requested sub finds out about it, it could be gone.
Englishmama is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

in my district...
Old 07-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

you can turn down all the jobs you want, and still be eligible for another job for that day, that is if there is still one out there. If you CANCEL a job for a certain day, however, you are blocked from getting a job for that day. In previous years, when my district used Subfinder, I would sometimes cancel a job if it was not a request, not a teacher I knew, and most importantly not a job that I was canceling at the last minute, so that I could fulfill the request of a known teacher. I have to tell teachers now that I cannot do this.

BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Depends on the district's settings
Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my districts, even if I cancel a job on a certain day, I can still take a different one on AESOP for that same day. It ALL depends on how the school district sets it up.

SubMan

Old 07-15-2013, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You will find that there are many rumors you will hear from subs as to the Aesop system. Some are true many are not. I get nearly all of my jobs using their Jobulator app on my iphone. Some subs refuse to buy the app; the same subs that won't invest in business cards.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 07-15-2013, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Subman, not all districts ALLOW for jobulator to be used. Also, a school district can decide whether to turn jobulator on or off at any given time. Last year, my district suddenly removed jobulator leaving many subs out of their money. I personally do not believe one should have to pay just to get work anyway. I work everyday due to many teacher requests and also because I use free auto check systems on my computer with aesop.

VA teacher

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

for the input! I truly appreciate it. I am really hoping that this Obamacare does gets repealed, or at least a big revamp! At our last school board meeting it was announced that even though it has been pushed back another year for the penalties that we were going to be following all rules to get ready. The "federal" rules is no more than 30 hrs. or they have to offer insurance, our "county" rule is going to be subs can't work more than 25 hrs. to avoid a chance of going over in the end. I think our problem that we are going to encounter with this system is that our county won't actually be "owning" the program this year. We are piggybacking off of another county to get started. They have said we can do it for a year and I would think we will have to follow whatever parameters they have set up for that county. Crazy! Our subs don't even know that they have to apply and be interviewed this year to sub AND it is mandatory that they attend a training on AESOP at the end of next week! If they don't have the training they can't sub until they receive it (next training won't be until January 2014!) It is hard enough to get subs in our area and I do believe this will run off a lot of the ones we do have working for us. I've been calling, texting and even made a post on my FB for all subs so the word will get out. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again!
VA teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That doesn't make sense why subs who are already employed need to be interviewed again to work next school year. Something doesn't add up. Also, if the workshop was mandatory for all subs to attend, then your district should have put up a notification on aesop or mailed/emailed all subs a letter pertaining to that. Otherwise, the training session is pointless if no subs show up. Sounds like a lot of ignorance within your school system.