Help

Substitute Teachers

A lesson I got to teach last year

>

Vlad

A lesson I got to teach last year
Old 07-19-2013, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As a sub I rarely make lesson plans, usually I just teach what is left for me by the teacher. One time last year I was doing a 3 day absence in a grade 8 classroom and requested to teach a Social Studies lesson. This was in a school I sub at very very often, and I am on great terms with the teachers and admin. I had to get the kids to know the 12 Tasks of Heracles (Hercules).

I had 3 days, so on day 1 we read through the stories as a class. I had the kids draw pictures as I was reading, to get them to get into the story more.

On day 2, I gave them an assignment that consisted of them retelling one of the tasks from the perspectives of Heracles or one of his enemies, so they could really engage in it, and would have to use the facts they read to make up a "retelling". They had to have read and understood the stories. I made a rubric for them so they knew how they'd be getting marked and it reminded them to include facts from the stories they read, portray the viewpoint of the character they chose, and watch grammar and spelling.

As part of my lesson, I showed them an "Epic Rap Battles of History" video of the Scrooge and Grinch rapping against one another and had the kids find out facts about the characters in their hilarious "showdown". I made the assignment a page long, and I gave bonus points to those who dramatically presented their "retelling" to the class, or better yet, made it in the form of a rap song.

On day 3 the assignment was due, and the kids who volunteered to present presented, and then I brought in a bucket of Gummi worms and split the class up into teams and we played "Heracles Trivia". I made up a bunch of True/False, Multiple Choice, and Long Answer questions and kept score. At the end of the contest (which got pretty loud but was a lot of fun), the winning team got 2 gummi worms each and the losing team got 1 each. I had the vice principal come in and evaluate me, and received a pretty awesome write-up.

It was a lesson I was glad to teach and really proud of, and probably one of the many highlights of my subbing career that year. If I had the kids just read the stories and answer some questions on a sheet of paper, I doubt if they'd have engaged so deeply in the material.

I hope I get to teach some more lessons again next year.

Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 07-20-2013, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What an interesting set of lessons! Sounds like they learned a lot the days you were there. It's fun when we get a chance to be creative, which doesn't happen very often for me either. And it gave the chance to showcase your lesson planning and teaching abilities; hope the teacher shared what you did with the higher ups!
Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Vlad

Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks, Singfree! The vice principal came and evaluated me and the teacher told me her students were talking about it for a while after she came back, so I received some good feedback.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote