Help

Substitute Teachers

Disappointment

>

Singfree

Disappointment
Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I can't believe this happened still. If you've read my previous posts, I had a job interview, and they wanted me to get reference letters. I was worried about doing that in the summer and bothering people. I also questioned if it was normal for an employer to ask that before the 1st interview. I should have listened to my gut that said it wasn't, because after I called and emailed all these teachers, secretaries, and principals asking for a reference letter, the place called me the day before and canceled the interview. They said, "they are no longer filling that position."

It's left an aftermath with quite a few people I work for at the schools. They went out of their way to write the letter last minute, and I could tell it put pressure on a couple people. One was so nice and so concerned about the letter being right, she called me after spending a couple days working on it. The p I asked, may be upset with me; he didn't get a letter to me, even though he said he would, but it was last minute. I hope it doesn't effect my work as a sub.

After researching, reference letters from the place of current employment is usually asked for after they decided to offer the job. They use it for the background check that has to be passed before the job is officially given to the person. I guess it was a major red flag something was off. I wonder if people will think I didn't pass the background check, even though that's not the case. I feel badly about putting people through it, and hope it doesn't cause me problems at the schools.

Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Where I live, all the businesses, schools, etc. are requiring the three reference letters of reccomendation. I really don't think your efforts weren't worthwhile, because you really do need those letters. So now you have them for any future employers. Throughout the school year, I would be working on acquiring a few more. They really are worth all the trouble. I don't think it should affect your subbing. They should understand we need those letters, and it seems as if they should have gone through the same process themselves.
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 07-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree, hang on to those letters. Next time you need them, you won't have to bother anyone! I'd also recommend scanning them and saving them as PDF's, so a) you can't lose them (back it up!), and b) you're ready for online applications, which most school districts want.

As far as subbing, I think everyone understands that needing a reference is not a guarantee of a job. If anyone asks in the fall, all you have to say is, "It didn't work out."
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 07-20-2013, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No one who wrote one of those reference letters is going to hold it against you or think poorly of you. Everyone knows how hard it is to find a job in today's job market. Hold onto those letters - they'll come in handy for the next job. Include copies with your applications.

And as for cancelling that interview - how crappy of them!
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Singfree
Old 07-20-2013, 07:47 PM
This message has been deleted by Singfree.

longtimesub

I am sorry to hear the news.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wish you a better luck next time...

I once applied for some federal job. After a few months later, I got an email. The email stated that the recruitment for that job has been cancelled...

longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 07-20-2013, 11:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the sympathy! I'll have the letters, and I'll be sure to copy and back them up.

Not only did I have to get reference letters, I had to fill out a big application with written responses they sent via email, then take a form they sent me via email around to co-workers, which meant driving to their houses. The form wasn't conducive to sub work, with the top covering date hired, salary, and rehire questions, etc., the bottom questions about my work habits and skills. I had to take it to 3 people before someone would fill it out. One person told me to take it to the super's office and then probably to a principal. I couldn't get ahold of anyone in the office. One teacher was busy and I had to stop at her house in a narrow time period. She had family there; they were getting ready to go on a trip, and I felt like I was intruding. She was not very friendly and acted like why would I bring it to her. I wonder if she'll request me now. I finally drove it 25 miles away, then 25 miles back, and I had to cancel a dr.'s appointment that took me 2-3 months to get. They weren't happy about the cancelation and threatened to charge me. I don't know if they will. They were rescheduling a few months out, and now the appointment is during school hours, and I'll have to pull my son out of school. So, it turned into a lot more than getting a couple reference letters. I also bought a new outfit, got my haircut, gas money to do all this since I live in the boondocks, and spent hours researching the company, job title, and making notes, and written responses to questions for that specific job (which is the 1st I've seen that type of job advertised in my area for the couple years I've been looking). Not only that, I think I pressured the p (he finally got back to me 2 days before the interview) after a phone call and email. He didn't send the letter, so now there's a weirdness, and it makes me wonder why; I haven't heard anything from him. P's in our schools are the ones who call subs in the mornings and evenings; should be interesting to see what happens when I go back to subbing. Thanks for reading all this...

StellatheSub

Old 07-21-2013, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm sorry you had to go through all that for nothing. I just dyed my hair for the interview I had last week, so I know what you're talking about with all the prep and the expenditures on interview clothes, preparation for interview questions, lineing up of references, etc. It is exhausting and frustrating when you are so easily dismissed and put forth a ton of effort. I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm hoping something more worth your time will come along soon!
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Just say references available upon request
Old 07-21-2013, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

From my experience, most jobs that ask for all these reference letters and aggravation before even getting a possible interview isn't even worth it because they normally already have someone in mind that they will be hiring from within or politically connected. For those who get full time jobs in my district, they are basically approached and just given to them without effort. I am almost sure that these positions were actually filled, but by one of their relatives or some politician. Many businesses require references to get hired, but NOT reference letters. Do you actually think they even bother reading them in the first place? I'm sure most don't. I always just indicate that references available upon request on my cover letter. If they really want me to go crazy bothering others to write letters for me, it would only be AFTER the first interview at least.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Furthermore to make you feel better....full time teaching jobs aren't even really worth it in my opinion. If you work every day in a pay period as a sub, your gross pay is very close to a regular teacher's NET pay after all their deductions. The only problem is, most of us don't get benefits or summer pay.

Englishmama

not to be a downer
Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

but what NJsubteacher said is definitely not true in my area.

I'm sorry that your interview was canceled. I'm sure it had nothing to do with you. As the PPs have said, it's definitely a good thing to have for next time. And, now you know, you should ask for a couple during the school year.

Where I live, you can't get an interview if you don't submit 3 letters of recommendation. Most school districts want EVERYTHING upfront:

application (sometimes with essay questions)
resume
college transcripts
copy of credential
proof of NCLB (copies of state test scores)
3 letters of recommendation
Letter of introduction

Englishmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you everyone! The job wasn't for a teaching position or at a school; it was for a children's mental health case manager (I have a degree in psychology). A relative, who has worked in mental health clinics and still does, asked me if I was trying to get into heaven. She's never heard of all that with those type of jobs especially on the 1st interview. They didn't tell me it on the phone, which they called me 2 days in a row, once to reschedule my appt. time. They emailed me the 3rd day that I needed to bring to the interview: 2 reference letters + the reference form + all this other paperwork. It's a entry level job that pays about $10/hr. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I have to drive 30 miles one way to get a haircut and clothes; I put a lot in my gas tank running for things + the reference form. I spent about $200 altogether, now I need to get thank you cards. Times are tough financially. My husband lost his teaching job a few years ago due to budget cuts, and he's only been able to find minimum wage work. It figures this hoax of a job would happen to me at such a bad time.

NJSub, you're right most businesses don't require what they did. It was a big red flag that I needed to take a form around that most businesses do themselves. No one I've talked to has heard of a "formal form" given to the interviewee. It's usually the hiring company who sends it themselves to the company or it's done over the phone, and only after a job is in the process of being offered. Most people don't want potential employers calling their current place of employment unless they are offered a job. Several people who looked at the form couldn't believe they gave it to me to do. I will never do that again! Even though I have all kinds of job applications out on a continual basis, I'm not getting calls for interviews. It's such a worry.

Singfree

Old 07-21-2013, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks Stella! I hope something better arrives soon! I've been trying to tell myself that I was lucky not to get that job, because it sounds like a nightmare place to work. My problem is times are difficult with money right now; it makes it a bigger let down. Even my son was so excited I had an interview. We can't do things like we used to and he so wants to go to a big, water park this summer.

Amberlee

Singfree
Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

So sorry to hear about the job frustrations I really wish it hadn't turned out that way for you. Wishing you all the best in the future!!
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Vlad

Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm sorry you didn't get an interview. Where I live that sometimes happens also. A school division I applied to as a sub asked me for reference letters (and I know mine were solid), then didn't even call me in for an interview. It's frustrating when they make you work your butt off and then don't even see fit to talk to you.

I don't think your current employer or employers would be mad at you or upset at you for making them write a reference letter and then not getting the job. People are looking for more stable work, it is normal and natural and your right to do so. You asked them for help, they helped you, you used it to apply to a job, and didn't get it. You did nothing wrong or unethical and I would be extremely surprised if anyone ever held that against you.

All the best, I hope your summer is going alright. Are you back to subbing next year?
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 07-22-2013, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Amberlee, thank you for all the support. It's been frustrating from start to finish, lots of red flags, so I'm glad it's over. I'm going to pick myself up and move on. Hope you're having a nice summer?

Singfree

Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Vlad, you're right most people will understand. I know this logically, but it's kind of embarrassing year after year they know I'm looking, but I walk back through the door without getting anywhere. I've asked some of my reference in the past. They said yes, but one told me to let them know if a place wanted a letter, they'd write it when I needed it.

I'm sorry to hear the school didn't give you an interview! Where I'm at, subs don't interview to be added to the list. It's frustrating getting everything together, then not getting a chance.

I'll be back subbing if nothing comes up before then. Are you looking for full-time teaching positions?

Amberlee

Singfree
Old 07-22-2013, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Yes I am enjoying my summer. Love the warm sunny weather! Especially since being near Seattle it is almost always rainy the rest of the year hehe. Hope you have a few good summer weeks yourself!

NJSubteacher

Old 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'm in NJ and I think we're getting Seattle's weather this summer so far. Every day it seems to be rainy, cloudy, and humid here. I hope August treats us better here.

NJSubteacher

Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

You took our weather and we took yours. Hehe

Amberlee

Nj
Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

You can keep it At least until we need to water the trees a bit