Substitute Teachers

One possibly two weeks

>

mysterybird

One possibly two weeks
Old 08-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

School is starting on Monday and I have a one/two week job substituting fifth grade. I am very nervous because unlike most of you who actually want to be a teacher, I do this to pay bills. That said, I think it will be a fun and challenging experience.
My fear is that I will not be able to put together lesson plans, or know how execute the lessons as dictated by the overly detailed, and colossal teachers manuals.
I made name tags today, and Friday go back to get things set up. Any suggestions?
I met with the principal today and it seems he might not have faith in me. I suppose I can't blame him. But I am going to do the best job I can. I'd really like to be successful with this job.
Are there any suggestions from you professional teachers???

mysterybird is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

teacher's manuals
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

are for picking and choosing. They offer a whole slew of ideas and suggestions, some of which are laughable, to cover many bases. Most of the lessons would last all day for each subject if you did everything in the manual.

So you want to pick out what seems to you to be the most salient or the most feasible activities given who is in your class and the materials available.

The first couple of weeks are usually review of the previous year's concepts to overcome the summer forgetting. You can have them write about the things they remember the most from last year's reading, social studies, etc. and have them solve some math problems and explain their process and reasoning in written words or drawings. This both pulls things back to mind and takes up time.

At the very beginning of the year, it's about filling time while they get back into routines, later on its about squeezing in all the work that needs to be done.

Choose activities that keep them as busy and involved as possible. Go out to P.E. or do some Brain Break activities to give variety to their day. They've been watching TV or playing video games all summer. Some may even have been playing outside.

It is important in the beginning of school to set up rules and procedures. I really like this differentiation: rules have consequences (good and bad depending if they are kept or broken); procedures need to be practiced if the student(s) "forget" to follow them. Rules should be few and stated positively: Keep hands, feet and belongings to yourself. Be kind to other people. Work hard to learn and have a nice time.
Procedures are how to line up, how to walk quietly in line, how to pass out or turn in papers, etc. "You were noisy in the hall and there was pushing in the line. We'll need to practice doing it again so you'll be able to be in line correctly... Oh, we'll need to try again, it was almost done right that time."

You'll be at a bit of a disadvantage as the students will know you are temporary and things will change when the "real" teacher comes (their thought, not mine). You may well have to be demanding of their respect especially for the first few days.

This sounds like a great chance to bond with a class and be the go to person for the teacher whenever a sub is needed the rest of the year.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Vlad

what Broomrider said
Old 08-08-2013, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think that Broomrider gave some fantastic advice. Focus a lot on reviewing, and on helping the kids get to know each other. I'd also not hesitate in asking other teachers in the school for assistance and advice. Most of them will probably be glad to share some resources and ideas with you.

Please let us know how things are going! Congrats on the subbing gig, btw! I've never subbed in the same classroom for more than 3 straight days as of yet!

Take care and all the best.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

beachPatty

Agree with above
Old 08-08-2013, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Another thing you may want to think about is, for each lesson/subject, plan a little more than you think you might need - that way, if you finish earlier than you thought you would, you won't be scrambling to figure out what to do for the next 10 minutes. Find some subject-related activities/writing/whatever - there are lots of great resources online.

Have fun - I did a 5-week assignment this past year and loved it - since I sub in 4 districts, this was a great opportunity to get to know the kids instead of bouncing around from school to school every day.
beachPatty is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You've been given great advice here, so I'm just sending you ++++ thoughts and big (((hugs))) before that first day. You'll do great! Plus, it's a good way to network and to get more jobs at that school. Do let us know how it goes, dear.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mysterybird

Thank you Clarity,
Old 08-08-2013, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

so much for the great advice! It is helping me be a bit less nervous. Tomorrow morning I meet with the other fifth grade teacher.
I was so frustrated and finished with subbing after a bad experience last year. This board has helped me so much. I realize I am not alone. Thank you and I will let you all know how the week goes.

mysterybird

Clarity?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I meant to say Thank you in the heading. The computer must have thought I wanted a Clarity in there. I am sure I posted that before and it picked up on it. Computers fixing what they think is a mistake

catsub

Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Instead of decorating the bulletin boards, put paper up but leave them blank. Then have the kids do a simple project on the first day that they put up on the bulletin boards such as:

a personal shield of likes/etc. -templates on line

a semantic web with self portrait & then favorite things with illustrations

interests they would like to study this year

take a head shot of each-print- have each turn themselves into a super hero

etc

etc
catsub is offline   Reply With Quote