Help

Substitute Teachers

Any sub planning to enroll to buy health insurance

>

TempSubber

Any sub planning to enroll to buy health insurance
Old 08-19-2013, 10:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you are planning to enroll to buy health insurance (the newly approved program by Obama), please share how to go about it. Where ( which website) to enroll to up, etc.

TempSubber is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It depends on your state. And unfortunately, some states have governors who are doing everything they can think of to sabotage the process. If you live in one of those, you might just be SOL until the federal exchange is up in October.

Check this site: https://www.healthcare.gov/what-is-t...#state=arizona

At the bottom, you can put your state in and it will either link you to your state exchange or tell you to use the federal site in October.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 08-20-2013, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would love to make enough money as a sub to be able to afford the health insurance being offered. I have already used the Kaiser Foundation online calculator and assure you that the cheapest plans at least in NJ start around $225 per month. It's not affordable care when you're on substitute pay. If your state has medicaid expansion available, you may qualify for that, but then again, may not if someone else in your household makes decent money. (One of the many potential unfair issues with this train-wreck law). Thousands of businesses and school districts are already promising to limit employees to less than 30 hrs per week to avoid paying penalties. This would be a disaster to subs all over the country and the economy over-all. I hope and pray that Obama Care is delayed or repealed altogether because as it is written, I promise you that it will destroy over half of the full time jobs in this country across all industries! This would be a disaster bad enough to cause another Great Depression. The smartest thing for us subs to do right now is sign up with at least 2 districts, so that you wont be forced down to 4 days per week. You will have another district to fall back on and get that 5th day in. Also, make sure you vote against any politician who supports Obama Care in November. I am not making this up....I was watching LIVE Congress hearings on CNBC and they had reps from hundreds of school districts vowing to reduce hours for substitute teachers, para-professionals, and classroom assts. NOT GOOD!!
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

beachPatty

Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

what NJSubteacher said.
beachPatty is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When Obamacare passed my district cut all instructional aid positions to between 15 and 30 hours per week. I have been told that changes will be made so that subs will only be able to work 4days per week. If we accept a LTS we will work 4 days and the students will have a different sub for the 5th day, what a mess!

momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I get insurance through my weekend employer. It's not great, not even good but it's better than having none.

BTW I make more money (per hour) selling 2 by 4's than I do subbing, go figure!
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am thinking/hoping that something is going to have to give in. Between our hours being cut and already getting dirt pay, districts are going to somehow have to raise the incentives to keep good subs. I got a raise last year and that same district already promised me another one before the new year, and that's the only reason why i haven't applied for a more steady job at McDonalds yet. Hehe. But in all seriousness, I just can't see Obama Care being successful no matter what your political affiliation is. I know both sides of the aisle are even starting to doubt it now.

NJSubteacher

Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Another thought for larger districts who have over 200 subs, how expensive would it actually be for them to have each sub contribute a very small percentage of their check towards health insurance?If every sub in a large district did that, there should be enough benefits to go around for everyone

grav_def

Old 08-20-2013, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Another thought for larger districts who have over 200 subs, how expensive would it actually be for them to have each sub contribute a very small percentage of their check towards health insurance?If every sub in a large district did that, there should be enough benefits to go around for everyone
My district does that. I pay $40/month for pretty decent health insurance. (I just know stuff about the exchanges because I've chosen to educate myself about the ACA instead of believing all the crazy lies that are flying around.)

NJSubteacher

Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Gray Def, that just proves it can be done if a district cares about their subs enough. Sounds like a really great district you work in. I wish all schools would consider this.

grav_def

Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Oh, the district couldn't care less. The magic happens because subs are part of the union. That's also why we are paid even more than the state's minimum sub wage (which is still more than twice what some of you are getting ).

LynneLC

Wonder how this will all work out
Old 08-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Shouldn't someone be able to turn down a medical plan because one is already covered by a spouse, rather than being held to 4 days/week? It seems that a number of schools across the country may sometimes have trouble finding enough substitutes without having more restrictions placed on them.

I thought I read in our local paper that they were holding off for a year on the whole "must offer benefits to people working 30 or more hours per week." I remember thinking -- that's good for my own situation, but then didn't read the article. I don't know if it was a state-specific issue... I should probably try to find more on-line.

I would hate to be held to only 4 days/week. This past year, I worked 172 school days, all in one town/district. It would make it a lot more complicated for me to try to work in another town also.
LynneLC is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

wow
Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I honestly think no one has thought about jobs like sub have yet! It is all such a mess. And NJSUB - our hospital has self insured trust health insurance and it works well as long as it is admin's right.

Makes me curious - I am insured through my dh so my days shouldn't be limited right?

I hope everyone who voted for our president thoroughly enjoys how it affects them.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

subczy
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

i'm betting districts aren't going to ask each sub whether or not they have insurance. If they decide to cut hours to avoid paying for insurance they will do it for everybody. Equal "protection," will prevail.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 08-22-2013, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I agree Broomrider. It's really ashame though because if every Employee and employer contributed to health insurance regardless of hours worked, it would only cost each person maybe $40-$60 per month and be cheaper than car insurance. But, since our idiot President says businesses who have employees who work under 30 hours do not have to be included, it hurts everyone and will cause premiums to skyrocket and will cost thousands of full time jobs to turn into part time jobs.

grav_def

Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
I hope everyone who voted for our president thoroughly enjoys how it affects them.
I've been uninsured in the past, and I am already enjoying knowing that will never happen again. Thanks!

Quote:
But, since our idiot President says businesses who have employees who work under 30 hours do not have to be included, it hurts everyone and will cause premiums to skyrocket and will cost thousands of full time jobs to turn into part time jobs.
http://egbertowillies.com/2013/08/22...rporate-greed/