Help

Substitute Teachers

Sitting "in wait"

>

Jule

Sitting "in wait"
Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Seeing that the likelihood of my being called to sub by subfinder during this first month of school - I've only been subbing for 3 months so have little seniority - I'm not thrilled about waking up at the crack of dawn and getting ready to sit by the phone, fully dressed and made up, waiting for the call I know will most likely never come.

I'm in a huge school district, so once I get a call I have to leave immediately because I'll probably have at least a 45 minute drive. Usually I get called at 7:15 and am told to arrive by 7:30 - which of course I can't do, but there's no time to do anything after the call comes.

P.S. I don't have the option of "shopping" for jobs. Just have to wait for the computer to call.

How do you handle this?

Last edited by Jule; 08-19-2013 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: incomplete
Jule is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Go anyway...
Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"... Usually I get called at 7:15 and am told to arrive by 7:30"

Go anyway. They know that last minute calls can't be expected to be there in that time frame.
I've got calls 1/2 - 1 hour AFTER school started and it wasn't a problem.

...Mike
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

beachPatty

Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If they're going to call as late as 7:15, then they usually understand that you can't get there immediately. It makes the day a little chaotic for you, until you get your first free time to gather your thoughts, but they understand.

My districts that I sub for use aesop, which I assume is similar to subfinder, and seniority has nothing to do with it. When I started 3 years ago, I got my first job the day after I was added to the system.

Also, I sub in multiple districts - all but one use the automated system. So, as jobs appear, I try as much as possible to fill up my schedule so I don't have to wait around for a call. If you want to work every day or almost every day, multiple districts may be the way to go for you.

I've never gotten up, gotten dressed/made up, etc., waiting for a call, even before my districts went to the automated system. They usually called pretty early in the morning. Obviously, there are last-minute assignments, if someone calls in sick at the last minute, but, like I said, if they call late, they have to understand that it may take you a little while to get there.

I really do recommend the mutliple districts approach - less stress when you can fill your calendar ahead of time. I already have some jobs lined up for September. I check aesop several times a day to be on top of things. I even check it on my phone when I have a free period or lunch at school.
beachPatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jule

Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can't really use the multiple district approach because we are penalized for turning down too many jobs a semester. Our system is based on how long we've been subs and how many days a week we are available - 5 days gets called earlier, I think Monday and Friday gets called next, then everyone else. (We're required to be available at least 2 consecutive, consistent days a week,

"So, as jobs appear, I try as much as possible to fill up my schedule so I don't have to wait around for a call. "

YOu are so lucky. Our system never has any available jobs posted - unless you have been specifically requested for a job. So, we either have to be requested or we have to wait for the computer to call and offer us a job. As I said, because I'm new, I get called really late. My life would be much easier if I could see available jobs and choose my own.
Jule is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Unless there aren't any other districts...
Old 08-19-2013, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with beachPatty. The district you're signed up for sounds uber-picky and restrictive.

I can only guess it's because they have no competition for sub availability or the pay is much more than surrounding districts.

I started with three districts at the same time and quickly dropped two because of the games they played. One is enough for me.

...Mike

MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Maybe change your attire?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I get up and get dressed whether I have an assignment for the day or not. I wear dressy casual clothes and light make-up, so I never feel too dressed up for a non-work day or whatever. I usually wear long, ankle-length skirts, a casual shirt (sleeveless or short sleeves in warm weather, long in cold), and casual but nice shoes such as dansko clogs. None of my clothes require ironing or buttoning up, yet they look professional enough that I pass muster at every school I go to. This is how I dress anyway so it's no hardship for me to get dressed for work and then not get an assignment.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

TempSubber

Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Seniority doesn't come with having subbed for longer period. New subs get priorities.
TempSubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Depends on your District
Old 08-27-2013, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Seniority doesn't come with having subbed for longer period. New subs get priorities.
Not in my district. Seniority, which includes higher pay, comes with experience.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote