Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

cookware advice

>

PCSLackey

cookware advice
Old 09-19-2013, 12:49 PM

I am in need of new cookware. Our current cookware is a gift from our bridal shower almost six years ago and even with decent care, the Teflon coating is scratched and just icky.

Our local department store has a set of ceramic coated cookware on sale, 10 pieces for $80 normal price is $129. My only experience is with the T-fal stuff...does/has anybody used ceramic coated cookware. Is it a good deal?

TIA!

PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Cookware Shopping
Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Sooooo many chefs here on PT who can advise you about what to get. I'm not a very good cook and have no strong opinion.

However, I decided to reply to your post anyway to share that if you can hold out a little longer, maybe you could get an even better deal? Cookware is one of the items I ALWAYS see on sale on Black Friday after Thanksgiving or between then and Christmas.

No guarantees -- just my thoughts based on my shopping experiences.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

grtlaks

Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM

It sounds like they won't last by the price. For most things I use stainless steel by Calphalon and another manufacturer. and one big pot by Circulon.(not sure I did the correct spelling) The big pot is coated and I use it for soup, stews, and frying. I bought a cast iron stew pot as well. The stainless steel has been with me over 25 years and looks new. The coated one has to be replaced every few years, but it is only one piece. If you get stainless, make sure it has a heavy feel to it. I agree on waiting till Thanksgiving if you can. Also, check out TJMaxx or Marshalls. You can buy the pieces you need at good prices. With cookware, you get what you pay for.
grtlaks is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

I'm old school
Old 09-19-2013, 03:38 PM

I swear by my stainless and cast iron. My pots are at lest 40 years old and cook great.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 PM

I have one ceramic fry pan. It is nice. It was white and it seems to be staining a bit, but overall it was inexpensive and works.

I do quite a bit of cooking. I use LifeTime Cookware by West Bend. It has a lifetime guarantee. It is stainless steel. I think it is about 20 years old and still looks new (and I abuse it). However, it really is only for serious cooks. I think I paid $2,500 for the entire/large set

Valone is offline   Reply With Quote