Substitute Teachers

When being a sub isnt enough

>

Smith1982

Smith1982

When being a sub isnt enough
Old 08-31-2013, 02:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my 8th year subbing! I recently got my certification in art and general science and I have applied to jobs and when I get interviews, the principals act like I am nothing! I even had one late for an interview for 40 minutes and when she came back, she had a McDonald's bag in her hand and acted like I wasn't good enough for the position even though I have a certification and degree in the position! This happened twice with people showing up late and they called ME and set up the time! Then I had one principal ask me if I ever had a "real job" before, after I told him I've been a sub for years! Its like people do not appreciate subs until they need "a body" to be in the classroom when they need someone! I worked hard to get my certification in my areas, but nobody wants to be serious about filling in open positions. It makes me upset when I sub and see other student teachers who are still working on their certification get jobs months later and I'm still subbing! What about me?! Then when I see some teachers who are just there for a check, it makes me mad because I KNOW that I and others who WANT to work hard are being pushed to the side to make room for people who don't care! Then they ask stupid questions about classroom management when their veteran teachers barely had any and have students who are failing, but I'm the one viewed at fault. Next time when someone is going to ask me some dumb question like ,"What are you going to do about the failing test scores?" First of all, I'm gonna say that those under me wouldn't have failing test scores because I would have gone out of my way to do whatever I could to help them! You would think that subbing would help you to land a job; it doesn't, at least, not in Louisiana! I am sorry to sound so negative, but I am just tired and venting! I just feel hurt and betrayed because I went through so much to get what education I have to feel like I'm not worth hiring full-time. I know a job is a job, but you want to feel secure, appreciated, and helpful.

whatever

Old 08-31-2013, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe it depends on how you present your subbing time. I subbed for 4 years before I got my first job. I had left my previous position as a social worker to be at home with DD more and my FIL was recently widowed with a myriad of health issues. I left my old job for that reason.

I only wanted to sub--nothing full time at all. When I did decide to interview for full time, I made sure to present my sub time as educational as well as my choice. Does that make sense? I let them know it was my choice to be a sub and have now decided to pursue full time employment.

I don't think I am saying this right. Have a positive attitude and let them see that you used it as a learning experience--different levels, buildings, subjects, classrooms, and so on. It gave you a variety of experience, etc. I think it comes out in your presentation.

I am not saying you do not do this already but it may help... Good luck.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Sounds like
Old 08-31-2013, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

you have encountered principals who know who they are going to hire and are doing the mandatory number of interviews to satisfy the rules.

I'd certainly not want to work for anyone who treated me the way you describe.

I agree with the previous post that you want to emphasize that you've been subbing because it was the right job for you at the time while you took classes for the credential. You subbed because it gave you insight into a variety of schools, classrooms, teaching styles, and materials. You have encountered and managed many classes in a variety of social settings which has enhanced your management skills and given you confidence that new graduates don't often have.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Dougie

Old 09-01-2013, 11:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It seems like the longer you are a substitute the harder it is to get a "real job" teaching.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote

babush

Don't advertise subbing 8 years.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So it is time to combine a few years and shave a few years off of your resume. Give them the general references and take a few years off. Same thing happened to me, frustrating as heck. I know people who shave off a few years and combined a few years, same info is there but you will be more likely to get hired.

And anyone who wants to bash me for suggesting this, don't bother. The system is unfair, and you have choices: pay your bills on time and save your home, or the opposite day?

Don't be a victim with these principals. Everyone is not your friend, you are giving them ammunition and way too much info about you.

babush is offline   Reply With Quote

Heather70732

Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I live in Louisiana as well, and in this state it is not about what you know, but who you know. I have a degree in Elem. Education, with a minor in Special Ed. I work as a sub in the parish I reside in with hopes that it may lead to a full time position. Then I became ill, and can only do sub work. I have not gotten certified for this reason. The local elem schools do call maybe once or twice a week, but tbh, I did not work a day in Sept. I was told Sept, has been slow for all subs in our area. I have been thinking of signing up for a few more parishes that are close, just to pick up more day's! I can relate to your frustration.
Heather70732 is offline   Reply With Quote