Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Day trips?

>

MACMama

Day trips?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:32 AM

I live 40 minutes south Chicago. Can anyone advise of a day trip (no more than 2 hours driving) that we could take? Neither of us is keen on going to the city. DH just started a new job, so Saturday trips are all we can do. There is no vacation time. We are more for qiet and quaint rather than crowds and noise. In other words, 6 Flags is NOT an option!

MACMama is online now   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

We live in northeast Missouri, about four hou
Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 AM

From Chicago. Last summer we went to Williamsburg, Iowa to the Amana Colonies. It's a historic settlement that's pretty neat to walk around, if it's not a million degrees outside.

I would think it would be between 2-3 hours west of Chicago, though I didn't look it up so I really don't know. Wherever you go, hope you enjoy time with your DH.
PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Old 06-27-2014, 06:54 AM

How about Lake Geneva, Wisconsin? Pretty, quaint, lots of cute shops. It is just over the border, so I'm guessing it would fit your 2 hour time frame.
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Springfield?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:02 AM

Years and years ago, I lived in Bloomington/Normal. We went to Springfield for a day trip and enjoyed it. Lots of Lincoln stuff there--the house, the presidential library (we didn't see that), and the memorial/tomb. I'm remembering New Salem State Historic Park, Lincoln's cabin home, as a nice place to visit, too.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 06-27-2014, 07:07 AM

Chicago Botanic Gardens? (N of city, so you can avoid city traffic)
Ravinia?
Shipshewana, IN?

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Indiana dunes
Old 06-27-2014, 07:09 AM

Head east on 80 to the Indiana dunes. There are places to go hiking and of course, beautiful Lake Michigan. You can have lunch in Chesterton.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 06-27-2014, 07:17 AM

Silver Beach in Michigan City / St. Joseph is one of our favorite summer destinations.

I have to add a vote for Shipshewana - go on Tuesday or Wednesday for the flea market and a more crowded shopping experience, or go on the weekend for the shops and a great time.

What about taking a train into Chicago? I'm not exactly sure where you're located, but there are commuter trains that go into town. You just get to sit back and relax, and not have to pay for parking anywhere. I refuse to drive into Chicago, but I've taken the train in and gone to Navy Pier and some of the museums. This summer I am hoping we can take the train in and go to a Cubs game.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Illini Teacher

Starved Rock!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:51 AM

Tons of cute shops in Utica. There is a lodge you can eat lunch at and lots of cool hiking. Definitely quiet and quaint!

Illini
Illini Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Have you been to Geneva/St.Charles area?? It has been years since I lived in DuPage County, but I always enjoyed going there to eat, walk around and window shop. I am not sure how it is now!! Naperville is also nice, some history and things to see. Wheaton has Cantigny Park with things to see. You'd have to check to see times/hours etc. Have fun wherever you go.
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 06-27-2014, 08:51 AM

All of these are some really great ideas! I agree that if you decide to go into Chicago, take the train. I grew up in Chicago so I don't mind driving, however, when I would take my kids I took the train into Union Station and then walked a short way over to the river and took a river taxi over to Navy Pier. The river taxi was fun!

http://www.festivals-and-shows.com/i...festivals.html

Check out this website for a list of fairs and festivals in Illinois. Most are free and you can go to a festival and explore the area around it. Geneva/St. Charles Illinois area is nice. Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg or the entertainment area and outlet mall in Rosemont may also be fun on a rainy day.

Last edited by hand; 06-27-2014 at 09:51 AM..
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

grtlaks

Old 06-27-2014, 10:47 AM

We love Galena, IL for a day trip or weekend. Cute shops and history. Cedarburg, WI is nice as well. This weekend is the Strawberry Festival there. Although you don't like crowds(I don't either) there is Summerfest in Milwaukee, as well as all of the ethnic festivals that will be going on that take place on the Summerfest grounds right on the lakefront. If you go to any of them during the day, the crowds aren't bad. There is always fruit picking in Michigan, such as peaches and blueberries, and then you can hit the wineries. Saugatuck/Douglas in Michigan is a very cute area right on the lake. All of these are a reasonable drive.
grtlaks is offline   Reply With Quote