Is it normal for the kids to be too tired and want to go home? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Kindergarten

Is it normal for the kids to be too tired and want to go home?

>

blessedtotch

Is it normal for the kids to be too tired and want to go home?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm in my second year teaching K and truly love it. I had a very very challenging class last year but it was a great experience all in all and I got great feedback from my parents. This year my class is a lot less challenging behavior wise but so many of them seem so exhausted and are not wanting to come to school in the morning. They are complaining to their parents that they don't get to play with toys enough and have to do work instead. Then the parents are looking at me wondering why their kid doesn't want to come to school. I work so hard to keep my classroom fun, engaging and interactive so I feel so frustrated with these complaints. Is this at all normal for the beginning if the year??

blessedtotch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes! It's very normal for them to be tired, and remember that they have the attention span of a flea right now.

I try to really ease into the year by having lots of short activity time periods in the beginning. It might just be 15 minutes that they get to "play", but that will often be the 15 minutes that they remember most!

How many days/weeks are you into the school year? I often find that they are really gung ho about school for the first few days, and then a week or two into it they realize that they have to keep going every day and they start not wanting to go anymore.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Absolutely normal!

Not only are they now required to do things someone else chooses, but the change in sleep schedules is getting to them, too. They're used to staying up (and then waking up) late - but it's hard to completely shift that all at once, so they're likely not getting the total amount they were used to.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

kdgstar105

Old 08-28-2014, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes! my kids start asking about when they are going home as soon as we get back from lunch. They are used to a shorter preK day. We have a rest time and yesterday (3rd day of school ) I had over half my kids fall asleep. By Christmas I rarely have anyone sleeping.

It's not just the kids that are tired. I am exhausted and can't wait for the weekend. it does get better in a few weeks.
kdgstar105 is offline   Reply With Quote

filehead

Totally normal
Old 08-28-2014, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the other PTs, it is a very long day for new kinders. New rules, new schedule, new friends ...heck, I'm dragging. Try some brain breaks and dancing to keep them going. My kids love the "going on a bear hunt" song, it's a special treat at the end of the day if everyone had a good day behaviorally.

filehead is offline   Reply With Quote

grtlaks

Old 08-29-2014, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I try and let them have "playtime" at the end of the day, so that is what they remember when they leave for the night. Playtime is usually some building block activities or fun centers that they don't realize are learning games. Some of the girls choose to color, yet they complain when they had to color school work! They just need to blow off some steam and have their own choice. These first weeks are the worst!
grtlaks is offline   Reply With Quote

globalgirl

Old 09-02-2014, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Totally normal. Most kids are coming from home or daycare where they did nothing but play all day.
It will take a while for them to get used to the idea that now they are "big kids" and won't get to play all day. After a month or so, they will get used to it. It also takes time for their stamina to build up. I would decrease their work time and try to incorporate some quiet play or rest time close to lunch to help them get their second wind back. Just for the first month or two, then gradually bring them up to normal time.

It find it helps to cover the toys during the day, and then make sure they get a set time to play at the end or the middle of the day (20 minutes is enough to satiate them). If they can't see them, it won't constantly remind them, and if they know they will get to play, they won't whine so much.

I also make it a rule that they are not to ask me all day when play time is, and they second time they ask, they lose part of the play time.

One school I was at also made a big deal of how school is their "job" so the kids would feel grown-up and responsible.
globalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote