Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Help: can't find dog treats without propylene glycol

>

Daphne333

Help: can't find dog treats without propylene glycol
Old 09-06-2014, 05:20 AM

It seems like every brand I pick up has propylene glycol added to it. I read an article about how a man's dog died from not being able to digest it. Then it went on to say that it can cause urinary problems including leakage. My dog has had urine leakage issues on and off for a while now. I never could figure out what was triggering it. Then after reading that article it dawned on me that it seemed to happen not too long after I would buy dog treats. (I tend to grab a bag once every couple weeks.). I stopped giving her dog treats and she hasn't had a problem since.

But I'd still like to be able to give her treats once in a while. Do you have any suggestions besides making my own. (I hate cooking for myself so I'm really not excited about cooking for her too.)

Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fleurdelys

Old 09-06-2014, 05:35 AM

It is getting harder and harder to know what is in our food, where our food comes from etc. Have you tried Whole Foods? Perhaps look on line for a recipe to make your own. Often we feed our animals food we think is healthy only to find out it has been tainted with junk. Hope you find a treat but consider making your own that way you know the products being used.
Fleurdelys is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 09-06-2014, 05:38 AM

Making them is the way to go. You might not like cooking but I have found a batch of dog treats go a long way. You can keep them in the freezer.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 09-06-2014, 05:51 AM

My vet suggested baby carrots. My pup was, how shall we say, getting a little thick around the middle. The vet suggested the carrots. He loved them more than any commercially prepared treat. A 2 dollar bag of baby carrots lasted a long time. Even the organic ones are realitively inexpensive. Just switch them to a ziploc bag or put them in a covered glass container.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

parker

Dog Treats
Old 09-06-2014, 05:56 AM

I just checked the ingredients list on the current treats around here.

Zuke's mini Naturals, neither the roasted chicken or peanut butter recipe, contain propylene glycol.

I have Nature's Animals Gourmet Select Carrot Crunch, made with organic carrots and grains, no propylene glycol.

And I have Wet Noses, Sweet Potato treats, organic, no propylene glycol.

Go to a pet store, I never feed treats that are available at most grocery stores.

There are lots of things you can give your dog for treats that don't require cooking: a piece of banana, slice of apple (no seeds), small chunk of cucumber, raw carrots, pieces of watermelon, green beans, green peas, blueberries, strawberries, chunks of baked sweet potato (no skin), cranberries, a couple of strings of string cheese (low fat). You might want to try a few to see if you dog enjoys any of these. But, be sure NOT to feed grapes or raisins or grape product of any kind.

parker is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 09-06-2014, 06:09 AM

I made some treats for my neighbor's dogs for Christmas a couple of years ago and they loved them. I can't remember the exact recipe but I know it involved peanut butter and oats and was really easy. If I find it I'll come back and add it. There are a lot of dog treat recipes online.
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Treats
Old 09-06-2014, 06:23 AM

My dogs get carrots and frozen green beans for treats. They love them!
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

grtlaks

local places
Old 09-06-2014, 06:33 AM

Look for locally owned pet stores in your area. We have quite a few and they all offer healthy snacks for our dogs. They are a bit pricey, but worth it.
grtlaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Smoke20

Old 09-06-2014, 07:27 AM

Another vote for carrots. They are much cheaper than dog treats and my dogs love them.
Smoke20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Button11

Old 09-06-2014, 07:27 AM

I am another for carrots! My dog loves them and bananas

Button11 is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 09-06-2014, 07:54 AM

My dog has food allergies, so I make her biscuits. It does take a bit of time to get the ingredients mixed together because I do a double batch, but the a PP said, they do go a long way. I don't have to make them very often.

I haven't made them myself yet, but my dad makes them "dehydrated" sweet potato. He cuts them up thin and leaves them in the oven at 100 until the dry out. I freeze them to keep them fresh.

I do use some store bought. I use the Freshpet/Dog Joy treats that are refrigerated. You can look on their website to see if there is a store around you that carries it. We stay away from beef (because of allergies), but they have turkey jerky, chicken jerky, sweet potato, and another chicken type treat. My dogs love them. All the treats are natural.

http://freshpet.com/
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-06-2014, 08:05 AM

I tried carrots (my friend's dog lives them) and my dogs left them on the floor but mine will do anything for a piece of cheese. I split a slice between my 75 and 93 lb dogs and they live it. Considering their weights, half a slice 1-3 times a week is insignificant.

P.S. I do like Zukes
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 09-06-2014, 08:10 AM

My dog has allergies and can only eat certain things. I give him green beans, he hates carrots. He will chew them and spit them out. It is actually funny. Wet Noses is a company that makes all natural treats. They are available in Petco and PerSmart. I tried making treats for him, but with work, kids, and everything else it was too much. Try Wet Noses.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

tpateacher

Zuke's
Old 09-06-2014, 01:27 PM

We use Zuke's brand also. You can order them from Amazon if you don't have a store near you.
tpateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 09-06-2014, 03:46 PM

Can't help you with the dig food, but your post helped me learn that PG is listed as an irritant to a condition I have, and is the main ingredient in a product I was using. Thanks.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Daphne333

Old 09-06-2014, 04:42 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try green beans and carrots first. The pet stores are on the other side of town so I usually only go out there once or twice a month. I will check tomorrow and stock up. (We don't have a whole foods. )
Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Treat suggestions
Old 09-06-2014, 07:10 PM

My beagles like frozen green beans, most fruits (watermelon, pineapple, apple slices), boiled potatoes, and I make them sweet potato 'chips' about once a week. There's really no work involved - just buy a few sweet potatoes, slice them thinly, put on a baking sheet and bake for about 3 hours at 250. I usually turn them about halfway through baking so they cook evenly on both sides but not always (I didn't today and they're still fine). They come out like kettle chips but are nothing but sweet potatoes. They love them and my vet is thrilled - he said they're excellent as snacks. My dogs' coats are shiny and gorgeous from all those vitamins.

Good luck with your pooch. I appreciate the tip about the bladder leakage connected to that ingredient - my female beagle has had issues but since I stopped the store bought treats and switched to all natural she hasn't had one issue. Now I know why!
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote