Third Grade

What do you grade in Reading?

>

apm1033

apm1033

What do you grade in Reading?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I did away with our basal reader 2 years ago (yay!) and do reader's workshop instead. I confer with readers 1 on 1 while they are reading and take notes. I like this because I immediately see what they need to work on and can teach them a strategy and coach them while I'm sitting there. However, I'm still struggling trying to get actual grades for their report cards. I would like to know how other teachers get grades in reading.

We just started reading response letters. They're a little overwhelming, but overall I think they're really helping. I will be using a rubric for those.

We also do graphic organizers, but I have a hard time grading those. Our grading scale is 93-100 A, 87-92 B, etc. and there's a "one and done" rule at our school that says a student's score cannot drop a letter grade for missing one question. So if a student misses one question, he/she can earn no worse than a 93 on that assignment. Not sure how to make that work with graphic organizers since there aren't exactly "questions" that they "miss." Any suggestions on grading graphic organizers? Making a rubric for every one seems like a lot of extra work.

We also do AR but are not allowed to take it for a grade.

Those of you who do reader's workshop (or similar) - where and how do you take grades? Do you ever give cold reading passages for students to answer and grade? This seems counterintuitive to the whole reader's workshop model but at least it is an objective way to grade. Do you do graphic organizers, and if so, how do you grade them? Do you grade oral fluency?

Thanks for any feedback or help!

mom23kids

grades
Old 01-28-2015, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We give reading grades based on Fountas and Pinell reading levels. REading levels are different grades at different times of the year. For example a K in 3rd grade in Sept is a 3 but a K in March is a 1 plus we do response to literature. Grades on those are based on a rubric. We consider that too
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 01-28-2015, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use reading response letters. I also use graphic organizers. We have a district rubric to help score those.

I have also found some short reading passages that I use for evidence. I ask 2 - 3 questions based on the common core skill we are working on. For example, right now we are working on a unit in traditional literature (3.RL.3). Students had to read Why Bear Has a Short Tail. Then they had to summarize the story, give the moral of the story, tell how the author conveyed the message, and tell how they knew it was a piece of traditional literature.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

RW Grades
Old 01-31-2015, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My kids complete a reading goal page each Monday, sharing what strategies they are working on (these include summarizing, visualizing, character, connections, vocabulary, etc...) and what "evidence" they will be collecting (in their reading notebooks).

Then, on the following Monday, they come to me with their evidence, we go over it, I give them a grade, and we decide what they will work on next. Then, they get a new goal sheet to prepare for the week.

I keep the goal sheets in a stack and throughout the week, call kids to read to me (whatever book they are reading at the time). I jot notes right on the paper to direct our discussions, and use the reading aloud to me for fluency check (and grade).

My kiddos are very self-directed, and I can encourage them to work on the goals I want them to, or just switch around after a few weeks for variety. I have graphic organizers, but really like to teach them to use ones they can do on their own, (Thinking Maps), like flow maps for summarizing, bubble maps for character work, ect...
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

Study Island?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Does your district subscribe to Study Island? If so, it is organized by standards/skills. After I teach a skill, I can make the online assignment for them or print it out in worksheet form. I can then take their assignment for a 10 point quiz grade. I also think it is good to give the children "cold read" passages with common core style questions as grades. I am assuming you do one once in a while for practice as a class and to model writing to the lit prompts. I then give them a released one to do on their own once in a while for a grade. I also assign things like writing an acrostic poem about the main character in your book for a grade. Or, writing a summary of the story from that character's/First Person point of view. I even have them make up their own "quizzes" to give to peers based on a book they've read (advanced readers) and grade the quiz they've created. Hope these ideas help a bit!

Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote