ARCHIVE

I'm horrible at record keeping!!

>

Smiles66

Labels
Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there,
I have a similar way of collecting data, but I don't use sticky notes because I find that they fall off and then I get mad at myself....I think it is because I have so much stuff on my desk at one time and they just disappear. So I have tried a new method....my secretary has bought me labels from Avery. I made a template on my computer (which I can send to you if you are interested) with a space for the child's name, date and subject. I use these labels for all classes, not just guided reading. Anyways, I put a full sheet of labels on my clipboard (or a few sheets) and I write down notes as I need to. At the end of the day I get out my assessment binder which is organized by student, peel the label off and stick it on a coloured page (I have coloured pages for each term, so when I do my report cards, its an easier sort....). I have found this method works great, because I don't have to worry about losing sticky notes! The other great thing about the labels, is that you can plan who you want to assess in each subject in one day. If you have your clipboard with you at all times, you can remember who you need to assess that day and in which subject. I hope this works for you too!

Smiles66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. Jean Fan

Dr. Jean Fan

I'm horrible at record keeping!!
Old 04-04-2006, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a dirty little secret...I am horrible at keeping notes of my students during reading groups. I just can't seem to find time document what 20 children do with me everyday, on top of providing each child support during the group, managing centers, breaking up fights, sending children to the nurse, getting interrupted by other teachers coming in the room, tying shoes, zipping up pants...the list goes on and on!!!
I usually have to record my observations at night in a big notebook from what I can remember.

Does anybody have a solution for me?? Of course I have alphabet checklists, running records, etc... but I need some sort of "form" that I can quick document how the children performed each day. QUICK is the buzz word - because I barely can see all of my reading groups each day as it is - without doing my record keeping during that time!!
(If you couldn't tell - I teach K and 1 by the way!)

Thank you for your input!!

JB

simple solution
Old 04-04-2006, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well I think its a simple solution and I am very disorganized. I have a binder for guided reading with a recording sheet for each child, arranged alphabetically. Someone gave it to us years ago, I can get a copy at school and scan it in and try to send it to you if you want. Anyway there are several lines on the sheet with columns for the date, level of book, title and a small space to write brief notes. I do this as I listen to each child read. It is very easy and its great to look back at the progress they have made over the year. I usually write very brief statements such as need to review cve words, reads fluently, or sc for v and m. Then I am reminded during reading groups of skills I should foucs on or listen for when they are reading. Just brief notes. Hope this was helpful!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Old 04-04-2006, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it was on these boards that someone talked about a way they kept up with student conferences using movable sticky notes. It sounded pretty good. I hope you can find this strategy. Does anyone else remember this post?
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

NCP

Sticky Notes
Old 04-04-2006, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a similar sticky note system. I have a clear plastic clipboard I have divided into 20 squares with a sharpie, right on the clipboard. Then, on a piece of tape I wrote each child's name in one of the boxes. As I observe something I write it on one of the small square sticky notes, they are pretty new, because they fit perfectly into the squares. At a glance I can see who I have notes on and who I don't. When the board is full, I transfer the notes to the students file so I have them for conferences. The nice thing is at the end of the year I just peel off the tape and put on new for the next year!

NCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tylana

Super idea
Old 04-05-2006, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

WHat a great idea, the clipboard. I would have to use both sides since I have so many students, but I might try it.

Another idea is to use a file folder and tape in a large index card for each child overlapping them so you write the child's name on the bottom. THen flip the card to write notes for the child. When the card is full, put it in the file or your grade book and replace with a new one. Writing on the back keeps confidentiality in mind!!
Tylana is offline   Reply With Quote

AmyH

Old 04-06-2006, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Using a clipboard, I write a kids name on the bottom of a notecard and then tape them on a clipboard so the names are exposed.. it is an easy flip to a student and jot down a note... Works well in math too!

Kinda like the sticky notes
AmyH is offline   Reply With Quote
zinga

zinga

Recording keeping help needed
Old 04-10-2006, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Please send me a template to kblockley@cox.net. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for wanting to help others. I see why you chose this profession.

Sharon D. W.

Labels!
Old 04-11-2006, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for this idea about labels! I'll have to give it a try. I use labels for many other things in my classroom that I can't beleive I didn't try this before. Thanks again. sdwl

PS: I give each child an ID number that matches my grdae book. When I need to make a quick note about a child I print their ID number not their name which is much faster. If I need to transfer these notes I can print the name.
Sharon D. W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiles66

You're Welcome!
Old 04-12-2006, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just love using the labels for record keeping...much simpler and easy to use and you can't lose any unless you try really really hard! Good luck with them! I hope they work for you!

Smiles66 is offline   Reply With Quote