Help

BusyBoard

Need more moving grade level advice

>

PEPteach

Need more moving grade level advice
Old 05-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have posted before about moving from intermediate (where I've been for a long time) down to K. I'm still making my decision. I guess my two questions are these:

1. When I think about moving, I feel sick over it. Logically, I know why it could be a good thing. I have wanted some change to some degree. But I feel sick at the thought of the unknown. I don't know if I will like it. Do you think this shows that this might not be a good move? Are most people positive they want to move? I'm worried about doing something I will regret.

2. I'm feeling a little burnt out. I'm tired of school taking over my life. Perhaps long term this move might help, but I'm overwhelmed by the possibility of starting over. It might be rejuvenating, though.

Any thoughts on these two points? Thanks for your patience as I OVER overanalyze this!

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Do this
Old 05-09-2015, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No joke.
Flip a coin. Heads you move. Tails you stay.
Post back here what the result was. I will post advice to your OP once you post back with the results of the coin. But really, flip the coin.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Thinking out loud here
Old 05-10-2015, 02:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm a little concerned about the move for two reasons you mention: You're sick about it because of the unknown, and you're feeling burned out. Moving to any new grade level is going to require a ton of off-the-clock work, because you won't have any of the materials ready to go. Sure, you can buy from TPT or use the teacher manual, but even that takes time. And you'll have to do this all year; you can't repurpose anything you've used before. Are you willing to do that? Second, think about the age of the students. Do you like working with 5- and 6-year-olds? Do you find them cute and irresistible or annoying and needy? If you don't know, maybe you should take some time and hang around the K classrooms and observe. That would help dispel some of the unknown factor and could confirm whether you like it or not. The pace will definitely be slower. You'll also have lots of parent interaction. Finally, is this the only possible move? Maybe you do need to move to freshen things up, but not to K. Good luck with your decision!
teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 05-10-2015, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Tyrex, I got heads.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

I did it this year
Old 05-10-2015, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I ws moved to 3rd after 12 years in 4/5 looping and it was the most difficult year of my life. The physical move took my whole summer (I"m year round so I only had 4 weeks). Then figuring out third was HARD...especially since all 4 teachers were moved their and had not been in 3rd before. Our principal thought it was a good idea to move everyone and create all new teams.

So...I worked harder and am simply counting down the days until my summer break. BUT, now that I have this first year under my belt I am looking forward to the next year...and am not at rejuvenated rather than overwhelmed.I'm excited to begin again, now that I know what I am doing.

I loved 4/5 and I was devastated to have to move...but I will honestly say that now that that first year is over...I'm okay with being in 3rd and have found the parts of it that I like.

So...my advice is this...if you can do a year of exhaustion and dealing with the unknown...you can get to the other side where rejuvenation does indeed occur.

Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Pretends.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I tried my hand at second grade a few years back. I'm glad I did, because it was a terrible fit. Never again. The smaller class size and less grading was not worth the tattling, crying, whining, and trying to catch up nonreaders. I started out in my career with kindergarten. I was more exhausted by 11am in primary than the end of the day in upper.

I love upper elementary.

If you want to rejuvenate yourself at work, depending on your flexibility with curriculum, you can implement something new within your comfort zone:

A new management program
A learning station switch up
A decor switch up
New desk/partnering arrangements
Take a PD in something YOU are interested in

Those are just a few ideas. Good luck.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

change
Old 05-10-2015, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That would be an incredible jump you'd make! Personally, I admire K teachers but would never want to teach those little ones-remember you have to teach them EVERYTHING!

It seems to me that school will continue to take over your life because you'll be planning someting totally new. Plans, management, curriculum, gathering materials, etc.

I did a change from 4th to 2nd and while it was a decent experience, I found out I really belong in 4th
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Come check out the Kindergarten Board
Old 05-10-2015, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There is a great thread going right now that will give you food for thought.

Read through some other posts and you will see some of the challenges and rewards of Kindergarten.

I wouldn't trade it for the world (on most days).
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

coin flip
Old 05-10-2015, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Heads meant that you move.

When you saw that you got heads, what was your first instinct? Were you happy and excited? Relieved to have the decision made?

Or did you want to flip the coin again and do the best out of three? Did you think, "That can't be right?" Did you feel disappointed?

Go with the gut reaction you felt when you saw that it was heads. If you felt positive feelings then you should move. If you felt disappointed and wanted to flip again, then you should stay where you are.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 05-10-2015, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I moved down from 4th (after 10 years, it was a forced move) to kinder 11 years ago. It was a huge shock. I was a lost goose for awhile. And cried for the first couple of months. You assume they know nothing. How to use a marker, hold a pencil, glue, line up, sit down... and you practice every tiny thing over and over. It is a bunch more work physically and otherwise. Takes days to prep for start of school and first few weeks are exhausting... However, once you get it... it is so fantastic. I love teaching kinder, but it is a ton of work the first few years. It is also high pressure with the new pushed down curriculum. You must teach them to read way beyond what is developmentally appropriate. If you like quite rooms with students working independently it is not for you. But, it is fun, fun, fun... the little people are hilarious, if you let yourself enjoy them. I didn't move down till my own children were past 2nd grade. I would not want to teach this age and then go home to little ones

starley is offline   Reply With Quote