Help

BusyBoard

Elementary Book Club

>

ElemenTchr

Elementary Book Club
Old 05-13-2015, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi PT friends. I'm looking for some suggestions.

My principal is getting reading to put out the application for starting a club for the 2015-2016 school year. I'd really like to do a book club, currently we have things like Spanish, Art, and Robotics club.

I teach in a 3rd & 4th grade building. My vision for the book club is to conduct it sort of like an adult book club. Have the students read the book independently and then have a discussion, maybe create some book based projects. I don't really know though. This is where I need your help.

Has anyone ever done an elementary school book club? What sort of things did you do? How did you run it? What books did you use? How did you get the books?

TIA for your suggestions.

ElemenTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

teach_smarter

Old 05-13-2015, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We had the kids read the book together (often using audiobooks so all the kids could participate. It became really popular with the sped kids) often with snacks. We would have discussions at the end of each book group meeting. But our purpose was more getting kids to enjoy reading and see it as fun as opposed to school. We tried to find books that had movies we could watch afterwards.
We got our books through donations, grants, and gifts. Dollar books on scholastic are the BEST for starting out! We cycle the books every 3 years, and limit it to the 4-5-6 grade. Holes is a perennial popular choice, the westing game is fun at Halloween, Artemis fowl doesn't have a movie, but the kids always adore it.
teach_smarter is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Had an After School Book Club Once
Old 05-13-2015, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It did not turn out well. The problem was about one third of my students did not want to be there. Their parents wanted them to be there. Since they did not want to attend they were behavior problems and ruined the book club for everyone else.

I would ask that parents only sign their children up for book club if their kids want to attend.

I would also have the kids and parents sign a behavior contract. If they do not comply with the rules I would ask them to find another class they will be able to commit to better, so the rest of the book club can have a good time reading and sharing what they read.

I would also give the students a choice of books. Allow them to help you decide the book that will be read.

I would do some reading together since they are not adults. Perhaps read half of the chapter together. Then the rest can be homework.

Good luck!

Good luck.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

fromkto3

Book Clubs
Old 05-13-2015, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I conduct literature circles (however we call them "Book Clubs") in my 4th and 5th grade classes. I only have 3-5 students reading the same book though, so that may be different than what you are trying to do. I lay out an assortment of my books, and have students write on an index card their top 3 choices. Students decide how many pages/chapters to read (independently) each week. For each meeting they come prepared with annotations on sticky notes of things they want to talk about (interesting parts, funny parts, sad parts, questions, connections, etc.). I started having one 5th grader in each group be the "discussion leader". It is this person's responsibility to come prepared with a list of questions about the chapters they read, and generally run the meeting. This works really well, and I will do the same next year with the 4th graders. I suggest giving the students as much choice as possible in what they read, providing snacks, and comfy seating. Hope some of that helps with ideas...
fromkto3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Ideas
Old 05-13-2015, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Does your state/area have a Battle of the Books program? It might be something to look into. I always wanted to start a book club, but with Battle of the Books, it's kind of covered already.

Does your state have a state book award? I've lived in several states that have had this. Several books are nominated and kids read them and vote for their favorite. Could this somehow work into a book club? They'd read and discuss books that were nominees, present on them, and vote?

I think this would be a blast and if we didn't already have Battle of the Books, I would love to start one. One of the things you might want to think about is the accessibility of books. If all students will read the same book, will you have enough copies? Or will students buy books? Level-wise/Comprehension wise will you be able to find high interest good books that appeal to a lot of students and at a level that all students can read? I wonder if you could do something like "mini-book clubs" inside a book club. Your club as a whole could be the "book club" but members form mini-books in smaller groups. This might make accessibility and readability easier, as well as interest levels.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

Book Club
Old 05-13-2015, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've done an after school book club for years. It is for 4th and 5th graders. We focus on the picture book and chapter book nominees for the state book award (20 in each category). Students read the book, then write a review. We then have a monthly newsletter, create posters and book trailers for morning announcements promoting the books.

Then, i the spring, when voting comes around, they will sign up to read the books to the primary classrooms and then go in and deal with the ballots.

Our meetings were really low key. We meet every other week and while there you were either reading, writing a review or working on a project. We started with a snack while kids would share what they were presently reading.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote