Help

BusyBoard

Each Kindness

>

laurenta

Each Kindness
Old 07-07-2017, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was online searching for new read alouds to use with my third graders and found a wonderful book called "Each Kindness." I purchased it through Amazon and loved it as soon as I read it. Now I'm looking for meaningful activities to do along with the book that will lay the foundation for a "kind" classroom. I printed a sheet from TPT called "Mission Possible" and it asks the kids to do random acts of kindness and write about their experience. I thought of also making kindness paper chains. I've googled the book and activities to go along, but I thought that PT it the best place to ask... so here I am! Thank you!

Last edited by laurenta; 07-07-2017 at 12:28 PM..
laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

The Book
Old 07-07-2017, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your post interests me a lot. After the school shooting at Sandy Hook CT, I decided to do as many acts of kindness as I could. I volunteer daily in a K class teaching sight words and would welcome the ideas from that book. K (kindergarten) would not be able to write down their acts of kindness in the beginning, but perhaps I could write it for them. I looked on Amazon and was unable to find the book.

Our school has a Buddy Bench; if a student has no one to play with, they can go sit on the bench and a 'friend' will come to invite them to play. No one is left there long.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

kathy

Laurenta
Old 07-07-2017, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Could you check the title and give us the author? TIA

I think it is called "Each Kindness."
kathy is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 07-07-2017, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow! Sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time. I hadn't heard of this book, but this morning I stumbled upon it and activities to go along with it on this teacher's blog. You may want to check it out. Hopefully there's something you can use.

http://www.tarheelstateteacher.com/2...-meetings.html
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

laurenta

Yes... Each Kindness
Old 07-07-2017, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I editted my post. I have no clue why I originally typed "Great Kindness." Summer brain, I suppose...
Anyway yes, "Each Kindness," by Jacqueline Woodson.

laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2lern

Each Kindness
Old 07-07-2017, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I bought a used paperback copy on thriftbooks.com.
luv2lern is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 07-08-2017, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I LOVE this book. I read it on a Friday afternoon with my kiddos then challenged them to do at least one act of kindness over the weekend. I said we'd share on Monday. On Monday I brought in a bowl and filled with water like in the book and as the kids said their act of kindness they dropped a pebble into the water to see the ripple effect. The kids talked about this activity all year.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

Closing Compliments
Old 07-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I read this to my new third graders each year and then we start "Closing Compliments" at the end of the day. This is a time they can compliment or thank their peers for something specific that happened that day. I teach them to "give evidence" (for lending me an eraser during math) not just a blanket statement (for being a good friend). I will sometimes quietly suggest that they might want to give a compliment for something I notice...and of course I give them as well. Then, I remind them that for the ripple effect to be really powerful...that each of them (the one who did the kind thing and the on that acknowledged it and gave a compliment) can now go out into the world and find another person to do something for. Third graders loved it and it goes long way to creating a kind classroom community. have even had classes that added apologies to their closing compliments because they felt bad about something they did that day.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote