Help

The VENT

Can I do this AGAIN!?!

>

Century46

Can I do this AGAIN!?!
Old 07-29-2017, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teachers everywhere are gearing up for another year. In addition to teaching academic content, we take a group of 25 incredibly diverse kiddos and create a community of learners who help one another reach our goals. Usually, though difficult (and not assessed on standardized tests), this is something I look forward to each year. However, after a summer of watching our nation's politics I'm not sure I'm not a dinosaur and even question whether I am doing the right thing. I want to believe that working together, helping one another reach our best selves is right and good...but it seems that these are not what is valued anymore. It gets harder and harder to help people stand up to bullies and or help the bullies see that their better self will make them happier and more successful, when, in fact, the bullies are the ones that are winning right now. Deep sigh...Monday is coming whether I am ready or not...I hope I can do this

Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Sometimes I feel the same way
Old 07-29-2017, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In fact, on election night my 14-year-old son was despondent and kept saying "The Bully won. The Bully won."

I have noticed at school, and in general, people being more disrespectful and ugly namecalling from people of all political affiliations. It spills into the classroom as well.

This makes me realize that my job as a teacher is even more important to teach students how to get along and how to politely "agree to "disagree" because they may not learn it anywhere else.

I have to politely disagree with you that the bullies are winning right now -- they have won very little and that is why they keep complaining and threatening -- their actions and time will eventually turn the tide.

Last edited by Gogogo; 07-29-2017 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Fixing typis
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 07-29-2017, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You just have to believe we ARE making a difference, right? What if we WEREN'T doing what we do? What would our world be like then?
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-29-2017, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yep, you can do it again. You only have to do one hour at a time, one day at a time. Avoid over focusing on your work and actively seek friends who are upbeat and support your viewpoints.
Quote:
This makes me realize that my job as a teacher is even more important to teach students how to get along and how to politely "agree to "disagree" because they may not learn it anywhere else.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-30-2017, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes you can. We may not be affecting the whole class or society as a whole but we are affecting one child at a time. My thoughts are if I really really reach and help one kid each year that needs me, then I was successful. If we ALL reach that one kid a year we are affecting society.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Turn off the news
Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Personally, I have found the news to be negative and divisive as long as I can remember. Those bullies...they've been around forever too.

Don't give up on what you believe. Keep doing what you do. Seems to me that teachers are superstars in this area. YOU ROCK!
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Here too
Old 08-01-2017, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have also been struggling with the fact that I have always managed my classroom with the values that I grew up with when it comes to respect for others.
It seems that these values are no longer the accepted platform for our society. I wonder how long it will be before our long standing classroom norms are challenged by a certain group of our citizens for whom bullying is now acceptable.

I'm glad my days are numbered.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote