Help

BusyBoard

Is anyone in Pennsylvania?

>

Haley23

Is anyone in Pennsylvania?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

One of my good friends is an elementary teacher and she will likely be moving there for her husband's job. How is the job market for teachers? At one point I'd heard it was really hard to find a job there, but that was years ago when I was first looking. Any tips?

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

not in my area
Old 03-16-2018, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in NE PA - unless you know someone or are extremely lucky...there are no jobs in this corner of the state. Sad.
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 03-16-2018, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've wanted to move back to PA for 20 years. I keep an eye on the listings for my home turf and there is never anything available. Maybe when I retire...
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 03-17-2018, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My friend lives in PA. Her daughter graduated from IUP and the way she got her elementary job was by being on a sub pool (I don't know exactly what it is called). She was in this pool for a district for 3 years before landing a teaching position because an elementary teacher retired. She worked everyday, but not sure how it was with the benefits.

This may be the only way to get in.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks! Does anyone know anything specific about these three areas? Apparently these are the three choices for her husband's job:
-Erie
-Dupont
-South Allentown

Rusty's Mom

Native of PA, moved to NC in 2002
Old 03-17-2018, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't know about those 3 areas, but in central PA and like the other post said NE PA is IMPOSSIBLE to get hired ever! I subbed over 7 years and Never got hired. It was very political in most areas, who you know equals a job, niece of the superintendent was hired.

The population is aging and school age children is not as large in my hometown. My hometown schools have less students and fewer teaching positions.

Hopefully the areas that your husband's job is located are growing more or have more teachers closer to retiring. Good luck with job hunting.
Rusty's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Pittsburgh-ish
Old 03-19-2018, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Still live here, about an hour outside Pittsburgh. I graduated from a local university, moved to DC for a job where I stayed for two years. Then, I moved back.

I've been teaching at a private school with no benefits for 3 years now...and there have been a grand total of 2 high school math positions in nearby school districts (I'm talking within an hour's drive) in that time.

The job market on this end of the state is really, really tough. It's a little easier if your friend is willing to work in a private school, but the pay and benefits can be a little iffy, depending on the school she gets into.

Definitely do research, and be willing to look for jobs even into September. The state budget never passes on time, so many public schools don't start posting jobs until mid-August.

As for Allentown, she will likely have more luck on that side of the state, as it's a suburb of Philadelphia. I had a friend who lived out that way, and it seemed like there were more schools per district, and more openings.

Last edited by NerdTeach; 03-19-2018 at 06:10 AM..
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-19-2018, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks, I will pass this along!

MrsCroak

Old 03-23-2018, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'd be willing to guess that Allentown public school district will have openings due it being considered an urban district (though Allentown is not that big). Additionally, Reading is under an hour away from Allentown and usually hiring. I will say, however, that I've heard Reading School District is a hot mess as far as how things are run.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote