Help

The VENT

I'm on break! Don't email me!!!

>

puzzle1mom

I'm on break! Don't email me!!!
Old 04-04-2018, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our Spring Break began this past Thursday the 29th. One of my 7th grade students went out of state to play soccer the Thursday before. Therefore, he technically will have had 2 1/2 weeks of Spring Break. I (stupidly) checked my school email a couple days ago and he's emailing me asking for the work he missed so he can catch up. Um, sorry, but I'm on my break now and I am not going to go dig up everything you missed because you went on vacation a whole week before everybody else. Same kid does this for every holiday break - went to Spain over Thanksgiving to watch soccer and missed extra days then, too. SO annoying! When a child is sick, that's one thing, but when they're always away on fun trips, um, SORRY!! You will have to wait now.....

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Old 04-04-2018, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our school policy for vacations is that the student has to gather all work before leaving, and it is due the day they return. Anything turned in after that is a 0.

Sickness is different, but fun vacations are planned in advance. So the work can be completed in advance as well.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 04-04-2018, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

NerdTeach - our policy is exactly the opposite. They get no work until they return and they have as many days as they were out tacked on to the due date. That is for excused absences as far as I know. This student never actually told us he was going away but I heard him tell other students on the last day he was there as he left. His mother emailed a day or two later to tell us they were headed out. I teach in a school with loads of affluent students, so the vacations are quite frequent with many of them. If our policy was to give them work ahead of time, none of us teachers would be able to get anything done.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 04-04-2018, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always set up my auto Out of Office response a few hours before leaving for break.

Please note: I will be away from my work email until _______. (Date I have to be back in the building)

Before summer vacation, I close my eyes and type random keys to update my password. That way, I can't access my email over the summer.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

respond after the break
Old 04-04-2018, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You know the drill and arrange an appropriate time line so this student catches up if that's in accordance with your school's policy. And allow the student to manage his own time. That's what would've happened in an era before the internet.

However, in this day and age of instant communication and if the student's worth it, I would respond and provide some support for this student.

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Agree with HoHumBeachBum
Old 04-04-2018, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Since so many people think that they are owed instant answers due to electronic communication, the out of office auto reply is the way to go.

There are so few boundaries with timing and quality of electronic communication, including social media, that it is up to us to set our own boundaries, or there will be no boundaries. (Think THAT special parent- you should have responded right away! I don't care if you were in the hospital.)
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-04-2018, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If a student knows BEFOREHAND that he/she will be gone, why they don't ask their teacher in time to get it all together before they leave is beyond me. Poor planning and thought process I guess.

Yes, don't check your email anymore all week!
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 04-04-2018, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Well, I guess the student will be super busy after Spring Break when they get to catch up.

As a school, we had to eliminate giving work ahead since students would take material with them, lose it, not complete it, and then expect us to prepare their material all over again when they returned. Quite honestly, I adapt my plans all the time due to student needs and what I think we'll accomplish in the next week or two rarely happens so I can't really give work ahead.

So, I get it. Hold to your school policy and let them get the work when they return. Schools aren't concierge services.

The tough part is if this is just before a report card deadline.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wouldn't want to be dealing with all that nonsense over spring break. When I was teaching I never checked email over breaks from school.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Nope, I wouldn't do it.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm shocked that students can just take off on vacation without filling out some kind of planned absence form. In these parts, teachers don't necessarily need to give them all their work in advance but they do need to sign that they have been notified that the student will be absent. This gives teachers an opportunity to let parents know if a student already has some low grades that won't be helped by an extended absence. Failure to complete this form could result in being considered truant although, in reality, if it's an affluent and influential family the school would likely look the other way.

Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Old 04-04-2018, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

At my school if a student is going to be absent on a family trip - he or she has to notify the school ahead of time and request school/homework. In the past, I have put together a week's worth of work in one day only to have it not picked up or completed. Ugh!
I no longer check my email after hours or over a break. I can now enjoy my family time and take care of school business when I am back in the classroom. If there is an emergency, the admin have my home phone number.
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-04-2018, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It has taken me years to finally stick to this, but I no longer check email on weekends or breaks. Previously, I'd find myself saying that I'd just check to make sure nothing's there/know I didn't have anything to worry about. Well, that only works if there actually isn't anything there! I check on Sunday night or the night before the break ends because I don't like surprises, but that way I don't have to worry about anything all break.

I agree that you definitely shouldn't respond now. You don't want to set yourself up for being on call 24/7 in the future. I was also going to suggest setting an out of office reply next time.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Break
Old 04-05-2018, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I suspect you’ve got a game of chicken going on here. I deal with a lot of students and parents who seem to expect instantaneous electronic communication outside school hours (the email on Sunday morning, for instance, followed by the HELLO???? email on Sunday afternoon) and it is indeed presumptuous and annoying.

The other variety, though, is the non-email email. These are messages sent without the expectation of a reply. The student or parent knows that due diligence means asking for missed work due to absence, but when push comes to shove, they don’t really want the hassle of actually doing said work. So they deliberately time the request such that a prompt response is unlikely. They will then print out the email later and say, “Well... We tried!” and use that as the basis for demanding an extension for (or exemption from) the work missed.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

out
Old 04-05-2018, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We have students that take off 3 weeks at a time before break. Our school policy is they must show plane tickets for an excused absence. If a child is out for a certain number of consecutive days and we're not able to contact them they are discharged. (there must be some policy in place to make sure they're okay tho but the sec handles that)
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

Email vacation
Old 04-05-2018, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Take a break from your email during holidays. If you have to provide something due to your school policy or administration (some parents will cc them) I would create a time consuming project for them to complete. (book project, history project even math projects like planning a vacation calculating expenses with tips...) The directions could even be emailed.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation.
123rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Trevortiger

Old 04-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

"I close my eyes and type random keys to update my password" hahahahahaha!
Trevortiger is offline   Reply With Quote