BusyBoard

Salary Concerns

>

LuvT

Salary Concerns
Old 04-04-2018, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I am new here. But I really want to hear your opinions. I graduated with an Ed degree 4 years ago and now am a 3rd grade classroom teacher. I don't think I can live on the salary I earn from the full time teaching job. Do you have the same problem? Or just me? Do you think things can get better? I want to find a part time. But everyday when I come back home, I feel exhausted. Do you have any suggestion? Can you live on the salary to raise a family? What part time jobs are you doing if any? I am so confused... Thank you for your comments in advance!

LuvT

LuvT is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Money
Old 04-04-2018, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

While teaching in VA, I taught homebound as a side income during the school year and had a roommate. Homebound was nice because it paid fairly well, was completely safe, and I could set it up on my schedule through the school district I was working in.

Now in PA, my husband and I make about the same amount of money. It isn't a lot...lol It's sort of enough to live a modest, comfortable lifestyle without many extras or nice vehicles or extended vacations. We don't have kids, but I think that as long as we are careful and our students loans are paid down by then, we should be able to pay for a few sports each year and get them new school clothes each fall.

I currently work at Wal-Mart part time, and I tutor. The tutoring pays well, it's $25/hour (a rate I set based on the area I'm in). You could charge more depending on your location. Wal-Mart pays $11/hour and the work is really easy. I only work Thursday-Saturday and it adds about $500 a month into our budget.

I think overall, it really depends on what kind of lifestyle you want and what your spouse does for a living as well.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvT

Part time jobs
Old 04-04-2018, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your responses, NerdTeach! I have to pay my student's loan as well. I plan to get married next year. My boyfriend doesn't have a stable income. His job is more seasonal. I feel it will take us a few years to start thinking about having kids.

Currently I am looking for some part-time jobs to earn extra money. Tutoring is on top of my list. The rate is around $20/hour in my location. However, I have difficulty to get 10 tutoring hours a week.
LuvT is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Public Library
Old 04-04-2018, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I worked a part time job for 20 years of my 32 year career. Working the desk at the public library was a great job...evenings and Saturdays. I also taught summer school for five summers.

Once I started working on my master's degree, it was challenging to balance six credits per semester, my full time teaching job, and my part time job, but I made it work.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Budget
Old 04-04-2018, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Since you said you feel exhausted when coming home (I agree, I do, too, and could never do a second job!), maybe you want to look at your budget first.

There are certain things you can cut out to help save money. You certainly don't NEED cable. You certainly don't NEED make-up. You certainly don't NEED anymore clothes and/or you certainly can get by on cheap clothes if needed. While you NEED food, you could at how you are spending that money. Are you cutting coupons? Buying mostly just what's on sale? Planning carefully so you don't over buy or underbuy? You certainly don't NEED a smartphone with a data package. You certainly don't NEED Netflix. I'm not saying any of these are true, but I know my parents lived (not too long ago) on very little money with 2 kids. It took a lot of budgeting and a lot of "going without". While I'm not doubting that based on student loan payments and costs of living, a second job might be necessary in some places for a single teacher, I do think in many places it is possible to do without that second job if you just look at your expenses and cut-out all non-necessities.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 04-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also have to have some side hustle to make ends meet. I am a single mom. I do not get any child support or other assistance.

In addition to my full time teaching salary my school pays me to teach intervention classes after school for at risk students. I make 40 and hour and I get to do it for 2 hours a week.

I also work as a respite care worker for a severely disable girl on the weekends. I only make 14 and hour for that and it is hard work but I get about 40-50 hours a month so it definitely helps. The schedule is flexible and they work around any other obligations I have or weekend plans.

I also teach extended school year-this is for spending money. I make 3,200 each summer for teaching half day for 4 weeks

With all of that I can just barely get by, in an inexpensive car, in a old run down rental, with only the occasional vacation or splurge with my ESY money. for example I saved up for 2 years and we were able to take a trip to Disney World last year. No vacations on the horizon for the foreseeable future. My kid will be driving in a year and a half and I need to save up to get him at least a cheap car and pay insurance

My district pays us on a system of yearly increases up to or 15th year in the district, and then we stagnate. Once I get to 12 years I should be able to lay off some of the side work. Once I get to 15 years I plan to try to purchase a small condo.

I work very hard and my dreams are pretty modest but things should keep getting better. I also keep things very frugal as the PP mentioned. No cable. No make up. My sister cuts my hair for free. I by my clothes mostly at the thrift store ( I do buy my son regular clothes, but he prefers basketball shorts, tshirts and sweatpants so its not terribly expensive), and I went without a cell phone for a year until I could afford it. Keep it simple and keep working toward financial security without too much side hustle.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Kinderkr4zy...
Old 04-05-2018, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Without going too far off topic, you have my respect and admiration. Single parents have a hard row to hoe. Congratulations on your plan and apparent success!

On topic, my situation is quite different than most who are replying (I should be retired, long story), but I can say that one of the things I recommend is finding a financial planner or advisor. Yes, it can be challenging to find a good one, but he or she will help not only with the short term budgeting but also the long-term.

I occasionally campaign for more emphasis on "financial literacy" in middle and high school. Most of our graduates are not prepared for that aspect of their lives. One of the reasons I'm not retired (I do love what I'm doing, that's not a problem!) is I "wasted" quite a few years because while I managed (barely) to get by from day to day, I didn't have a long-term plan.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote