Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Sub Plans??

>

LRRichardson

Sub Plans??
Old 09-08-2018, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new hire for my school district this year. All new teachers (even with prior experience) have to take an "Instructional Skills" class through the district. This mean we meet about once a month during the school year with our coaches and mentors and learn how to be a successful teacher in their district. I have one of these classes this coming week and we just started school. This mean, I need to create sub plans...boo!!

So...On Monday I will begin teaching lesson 1 of our curriculum. On Tuesday, they will be taking their mathematics pre-test to determine SLO's throughout the year. Then on Wednesday, I need a substitute. I am at a loss of what I can have them do. It's not like they can do any reviewing due to only being taught one lesson (a fairly easy one too.) Also, our first week was last week, so we already did a lot of "get-to-know-you" type of things. Anyone have a great math lesson for 8th graders that a substitute could follow that would keep them busy and out of trouble?

P.S.-It is hard to leave sub plans which require a substitute to teach a new lesson. I often hear from the subs I've had, "I don't really do math."

LRRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Review
Old 09-09-2018, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My next door math teacher already had a training. Like you, they didn't even start the curriculum yet. She left a pretty basic review packet for them. The packet was from what they should have learned last year. She also left the sub the answer key so she could help them and check it over. You might want to tell the kids they will get points just for doing the packet so they take it a little more seriously.

I think then she gives them sudoku or some math puzzles if they finish early.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

^^Yep. Review!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I never have a sub teach a new math topic. Ever.

We have to have standing sub packets for 3 days. This time of year, it's topics from last year. After each quarter I change out for what we were doing.

So for instance, in February I will change out my sub plans and make sure there's so e work from Term 1 AND Term 2.

I do give them choice, and they know they can skip around, but they MUST show their work to receive credit.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

LRRichardson

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-09-2018, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the feedback! I figured a review type activity would be best, but was struggling with that because this is our first week of actual instruction and one of those days is basically an 8th grade pretest (similar to a 7th grade review).

I was hoping to find some chrome book activity that would hold their attention and keep them occupied, but review is probably safest. Thanks!

Beach Glass

Substitute mini-units?
Old 09-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How about doing an enrichment activity/mini-unit that necessitates little or no prior knowledge?

Hmm...8th grade math...something that a sub could handle

-Roman numerals
-Tangrams
-simple coding (apps available on iPads)
-geographic coordinates
-believe it or not - counting back change!!! So many don't have a clue about that nowadays!

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

LRRichardson

Counting back change!
Old 09-11-2018, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What a great idea! I have run into many cashiers that do not know how to count back change! I think I will use some of those ideas for my emergency sub plans!

whd507

Old 09-14-2018, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

math game worksheets, prodigy aligned to what you are teaching. (8th is the end of the line for prodigy, but it might work out being recently expired 7th graders...). I like the counting back change exercise, figure out the cubic inches of an engine for the hot rod guys (bore x bore x stroke (in inches) x .7854 x # of cylinders), Figure out the square footage of random house plans, amount of fabric needed to make various clothing items, I set up an 8th grade math class a few years ago, that was post-test babysitting busywork, with an offer that if students could figure out the cubic yards of concrete needed to fill a perimeter form I put on the board, they could have free time. as a former contractor I could figure out the required concrete yards in my head, and I thought it was easy, turns out that no teacher in the math dept could figure it out either. the classes worked feverishly for two days to try to crack the case... I finally helped a geeky kid with few or no friends understand the concept, and once he got it he began teaching the concept to others (you just remember that there are 27 sq/ft per sq/yd, and figure the forms into sq/ft) and then the teachers... I didn't expect it to be a big deal, but now its part of the curriculum there...lol
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Are you 1:1 with Chromebooks? I often make a video using screencastify where I teach a new concept. I import the video into Edpuzzle and have my kids take notes when Iím gone. I usually leave them a little quiz or something to do after they finish notes. I like Edpuzzle because I can input questions that will stop the video and tell them to write something down or work out a question. Doing this I feel Iím not wasting a day of instruction by being out.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LRRichardson

edpuzzle
Old 10-03-2018, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for the idea. We are 1:1 with chromebooks, I am new to this opportunity, so I am trying to learn all of the new resources I can get me hands on.