Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Goings on in Kindergarten

>

Oh-snap54

Goings on in Kindergarten
Old 09-11-2018, 04:47 AM

GS had a super day at school Monday. He was so glad to see his teacher! I think he was really ticked off that his teacher wasnt there Friday. Im going to suggest she talk to him when she plans to be gone because he was really upset. He seems immature but intellectually hes not. He volunteered to me:I wanted Mrs.S to be there for fun day but she was gone! In his world things were not right.

I think he was pushing his boundaries and testing all of us. He KNOWS the P is new in her position. Well, he found out its not really worth it to pitch a fit (We hope) I think hes just a contrarian with a very strong will. His mother pitched fits but only with me, never with teachers.

Im also making a list of helpful suggestions for his folder that may help... use gestures not words when possible, let him know whats coming next... etc. Maybe a sub could use it too. DD is going to use kids melatonin to get him more sleep. So we shall see...

Oh-snap54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Oh-snap54

Old 09-11-2018, 04:54 AM

I will say this... when he was born, he was the most active, vigorous newborn I’ve ever seen. He was kicking and punching the air and somehow I knew we’d be having challenges with him. His APGAR score was ten and he even tried to push the nurses hands away when she gave him his first bath. He’s a puzzle because he really doesn’t completely fit ADHD traits he’s just extremely vigorous and always wants to be doing what’s next on the horizon. By seven I think it should level out from what Ive seen from my experience in classrooms.

Last edited by Oh-snap54; 09-11-2018 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Typos

amiga13

Old 09-11-2018, 06:01 AM

Hooray, it sounds like a huge improvement for him and for you!
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Oh-snap54

Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 AM

Thanks just have to keep it going. Weve put him on a more natural diet, no chocolate (I think hes reacting to the caffeine in it) and much more strict bedtime. Dd is a night owl and so is he but they need to go to bed earlier

bGracie

Old 09-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Do you also post as blueskies, or is your situation just similar to hers?

bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 09-11-2018, 01:17 PM

Just a gentle suggestion...please don't ask the teacher to give him or you a heads up when she will be absent. I just don't think that's appropriate. I feel that infringes on a teacher's privacy.
imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Smurfette

Old 09-11-2018, 01:44 PM

I would not be happy if a parent asked me to notify their child if I was going to be out. He might have a bad day, but being in K is also about coping with new situations and change. He needs to learn that not the world does not revolve around him. How does he know about the principal being new? My students are barely aware of who the principal is and what he does. Trying to manipulate a principal? That seems very odd.
Smurfette is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 09-11-2018, 02:02 PM

I also agree that it is not really appropriate to ask or expect the teacher to let you know when she will be out. I do try to give a heads up if it is a planned absence like for professional development. However if I'm throwing up in the middle of the night or I have some sort of an emergency there is no way I'm contacting parents to tell them I can't make it in. Parents should not expect that of us.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

nickelbackfan

Agree
Old 09-11-2018, 02:51 PM

Super rude to ask a teacher to tell you when shes going to be gone. Not appropriate.
nickelbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-11-2018, 03:22 PM

I am so glad to hear about his good day Monday! I hope today went well too! (((HUGS)))

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I disagree with the PPs
Old 09-11-2018, 03:23 PM

I don't think it hurts to ask the teacher for this favor. Same with giving suggestions. The teacher can say no, say yes to some circumstances and so on. She can ignore the suggestions or try them for herself and then say no or try them and find they work-- whatever. There is nothing to lose by asking.

I've been a SpEd teacher for years covering all grades K-12. Many of my students have been extremely attached to me. If I had students that I knew would react poorly to absences or changes, I always tried to prepare them for it.

Procedures from Day 1 included the countdown to any transitions. It was the first thing I talked about with the para. In covering life skills, we often discussed separation be it from me, a parent, etc. Part of that was talking about unexpected absences of peers, paras, other teachers and so on. Changes are a part of life but some of us need a bit to process it.

By doing this small gesture early on, it saved all of us some stress with either absences--planned or otherwise...

By the way, when my gallbladder blew out in 2015, it tripped my Pancreas. I was hospitalized on a Saturday night. I called my boss and both paras from the hospital. On Monday midday, I still called the school to talk to one of kids. It was a good thing too--this big, 13 year old was in full tantrum/meltdown and had been the whole day. I talked with him less than 5 minutes and he immediately calmed and finished the day with no further issues.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-11-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
On Monday midday, I still called the school to talk to one of kids. It was a good thing too--this big, 13 year old was in full tantrum/meltdown and had been the whole day. I talked with him less than 5 minutes and he immediately calmed and finished the day with no further issues.

You're a better person than I. The last thing to cross my mind when hospitalized is to call a student.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Zia--I seriously doubt that...
Old 09-11-2018, 03:54 PM

For one, I was in full Pancreatitis and they were keeping me full of good drugs to keep the pain down and my mind off the not eating and not drinking anything.

Then, my para and I were texting back and forth and she told me he had been at it since the am and I made the call. LESS than 5 minutes. Small price to pay.

Then again, I teach the BD/ED class in the MS/HS.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-11-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Then again, I teach the BD/ED class in the MS/HS.
Now I know you're a better person than I. Seriously. I could not do that job.

blueskies, sorry for the hijack.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 09-11-2018, 05:22 PM

Bgtacie, it is the same poster you are thinking about. In another thread I saw that she had decided to change her user name.

Sounds like a better day for your gs - hooray!

Last edited by FancyFish; 09-12-2018 at 03:20 AM..
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 09-11-2018, 05:33 PM

Thanks, FancyFish!

Oh-snap54, I hope things even out for your grandson.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote