Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Is this a thing now? Kidsí birthdays

>

nickelbackfan

Is this a thing now? Kidsí birthdays
Old 09-15-2018, 01:27 AM

I have recently seen two kids who have wishlists inside Birthday invites. Like literally, ďso and so wants gift cards to these stores, etc.

I find it so rude!!!

Thoughts?

nickelbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 09-15-2018, 02:09 AM

But yet it's advertised to the parents as a favor for the guests so they don't have to guess what the child wants. Whatever.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 09-15-2018, 02:24 AM

I make wish lists for my ds for his birthday. However, when I had a party for him and invited his classmates, I did NOT include his wish list in the invites. The wish list is mainly for me to keep track of the things he might want for Christmas. His grandmothers also use it get him stuff for Christmas and his birthday. To include a wish list in a birthday invitation is tacky imo.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs Readalot

Argh
Old 09-15-2018, 03:19 AM

My husband created an online one for our son's birthday, but like Jackie, it definitely didn't go in invites. If a family asked for ideas, I sent the link. If they didn't ask for ideas or decided to choose something else, he was excited and grateful for whatever they got him!
Mrs Readalot is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Wow
Old 09-15-2018, 03:27 AM

No, Iíve nevr heard of this. But, I have had friends with kids who say their child doesnít want gifts, but would appreciate a donation, food, or toy for an animal shelter.
One child is well known for making homeless help bags with tie blankets, hats, scarves, etc. she always asks for those items. I think the kind of wish list is lovely.

The one youíve described is greedy and rude.

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Birthdays
Old 09-15-2018, 04:17 AM

I think kid parties have gotten so out of hand. What happened to inviting a few friends, play some games, eating cake and ice cream, then opening the gifts. Gifts were simple...new crayons, a couple of Matchbox cars, etc. The giver was as excited about the giving as the birthday child was the getting.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 09-15-2018, 05:20 AM

I noticed that a few years ago when I got an invite from someone who I barely knew. It was her son's 5th birthday and she included the wish list to the Facebook invite. I was so taken back by it, but I thought it must be a new thing.

I didn't go, but it was mainly because I didn't really know them. I think she just invited everyone on her Facebook list that lived locally.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 09-15-2018, 06:13 AM

Yes Miss ESL.. that is wonderful.. When I retire, I'm going to do something selfless... something..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Candiqueen

Old 09-15-2018, 01:54 PM

I have a neice who lives about two hours away so I don't get to see her daughter that often. Her last bday invite included a little blurb stating the things she likes to play with as well as her clothing size. I actually appreciated that! It wasn't written as a wish list- just a little narrative.
Candiqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-15-2018, 05:39 PM

In the birthday party invite for the little boy I used to nanny there was a card informing us that his birthday registry was at Toys R Us! I call it greedy!

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 09-15-2018, 09:01 PM

I can understand why a parent has a wish list [use as a reference if asked], but to include it in an invitations is rude and greedy.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 09-17-2018, 03:45 AM

OMG, no! Another part of why people are such ENTITLED, imposing narcissists these days. Parents aren't teaching good values, morals, or ethics and not sure if they had been all along. Sure there's always that certain amount who come from enriched, wholesome families, but I see that less and less.

Can't kids just be taught to be happy and satisfied having a simple party, getting gifts, and APPRECIATING THEM AND their loved ones and know THAT NO ONE HAS TO ATTEND ANY OF THEIR PARTIES AT ALL if they don't want to?!
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

No problems with a list...
Old 09-17-2018, 05:02 AM

If I'm going to spend $10-$30 dollars on a gift, I want to know it's wanted. I want to know it's not going to be Frisbeed into the trash after all the guests have left (Play Doh, Slime, Silly Putty, Markers, stuff with little pieces, toy guns-heard parents post party chunking those straight into the trash).

So..if the parental units throw a big spectrum price wise list in a invite (especially for a classmate I don't really know), that's fine. I don't have a boy. It's was hell trying to ask around what would fun for a 5 year old boy, and not have the parents hate me. I loved it when they suggested books, but even then it's a dicey ride not to offend.

Virtue Signaling kids' birthday parties are obnoxious too. They were the rage 5 years ago where I live, and people flat out refused to go to them after awhile. It is one thing if the organization is near and dear to your heart, and you are active in the organization. Mito Foundation, MDA, Dad's a firefighter.... what happened where I lived, the parents would pick random charity, hype up how selfless their child is and blast it all over social media. I'm lucky my kid aged out of school parties before those happened.

I guess parties styles are regional. I threw venue parties because I have zero relatives in the area, and the school mates were as close to family as my DD had. Also, the parents stayed for the whole thing until the kids hit 6 grade. It was nice to have another adult to chit chat.

Parents at school knew my DD loves to read and draw, so no list was ever needed. I did suggest books because 1) inexpensive and 2) didn't care if they were gently used.

Family is easier because I can call to see what would be enjoyed. I hate guessing. I figure guesses wind up at Goodwill or the trash bag. I'm not fussy, but know many many many fussy people. My money and time is too dear to me for that.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-17-2018, 05:46 AM

I think that you shouldn't be inviting people to a birthday party that don't know the child. That would save people from getting presents that aren't wanted.

Parties should be for fun times together, not a present grab.

I don't like it either when I see "donations to my favorite charity" in lieu of presents, either. Ask for cash and you donate it. Otherwise, it is still my donation. If I am donating, I would like to pick my charity. My dd asked for a donation for Christmas last year. I did it, and I have to say, I didn't feel charitable afterwards. Next time, if she asks, it is coming out of her share of presents and she can do the donation and feel the pride.

Too many greedy people in this world.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote