Help

The VENT

Hate my job

>

missamberlori

Hate my job
Old 10-15-2018, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay I have a class from ..... The curriculum is new and way above their heads and mine too I think! It is very difficult to teach something you had little training in and told to follow almost word for word the guide. I teach early elementary and the push is for more and more writing. Funny thing with all the developmental garbage pushed down our throats the curriculum is asking these little ones to compare and contrast stories that they can barely read never mind write about.
Differentiate my a... I have 18 kids on all different levels. I have behavior issues, at least 4 kids that should be in special ed or at have a one-one aide, I have one poor student with a health issue that prevents her from concentrating on anything, criers and whiners, anger issues, and a child that is so rude I just have to pretend I don't hear some of the things he says.
On top of this a parent is claiming I am the reason her child is so violent. I push his buttons and demand he do work. Please......Sweet Jesus let me win the lottery!!!!!!!

missamberlori is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Ugh
Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Teaching has turned into an exhausting job. I'm sorry you're dealing with all of that.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

there are days
Old 10-16-2018, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, there are days when you just feel like throwing in the towel. Draw strength from your coworkers and other students you connect with. They don't have to be the ones who are physically in your room.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-16-2018, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm reading more and more bad situations like this.

How long have you been teaching and do you plan to get out of it anytime soon?
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I understand...
Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Reading your post makes me feel sad, and I can definitely relate to it. I retired in June after a 42 year career. The last 5 or 6 years, I wonder how I made it though, and my last year was particularly tough. You said it very well in your post. When I first started teaching in the late 70's, it was a rewarding job that was even fun most of the time. We had a lot of freedom to design curriculum units, pick materials and do projects. It is those very learning activities that my adult former students remember when I hear from them. In my last few years, we had a tightly mapped district curriculum written in a specific format that was difficult to understand. We had a standards-based evaluation system that increased the number of times we were seen and added an unannounced component. The announced component had a form that took hours to fill out, basically doing the administrator's job for them. We had coaches in both math and reading and if they were not coming in, you were meeting with them as a grade level. I agree that given the time and the types of students we have, differentiation, while the ideal, is often not possible. New initiatives were constantly being added and we had professional development from experts who increased the stress by making me feel badly about what I wasn't doing and then they left, leaving the teachers to implement what they said. And of course data, data and more data as well as the testing. And it is always our fault if the student has a problem. The parents often do not own it. Not sure how long you have been doing it, but it seems to be a common thread among many teachers of all experience levels. I feel personally so blessed that I was able to retire. I went out a couple of years early, but it did not make a big financial difference, and it did make a big mental one. I hope the year passes by quickly for you and that next year's class is a big improvement. Wishing you the best.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

missamberlori

Thanks
Old 10-16-2018, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you so much! I appreciate all your kind words and acknowledgement of just how difficult teaching has become. I have been teaching for 19 years. I started late in life so will not be able to retire for at least another 5 more years but am praying for divine intervention. I am considering selling my current home and downsizing so I can be in a better financial situation to retire early. I am just trying to take one day and sometimes even one moment at a time.

missamberlori

Teaching is Not At All What I thought
Old 10-16-2018, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been teaching for 19 years. Unfortunately, severe behavior issues have gotten worse almost each year. In my opinion, the main reasons for this is the administration's policies, philosophy, and unrealistic academic expectations set for students.
Retirement is still a few years off-but praying for a miracle! There are some sweet kids but these children often get lost in the craziness. The inclusion at all costs movement is just to make parents feel better and saves the district money. Everyone loses in the inclusion process of children who clearly have severe emotional, behavioral, or education difficulties when they are placed in a general education classroom with no support and just one teacher left juggling like a clown to meet every need of every child. The system is broken and the inmates are running the asylum.