Help

The VENT

I hate Halloween

>

Hawkeyegirl1

I hate Halloween
Old 10-30-2018, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

That's it. I can't wait for this week to be over.

Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Halloween
Old 10-30-2018, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is not my favorite holiday, either. I have never enjoyed being afraid - even in fun. I work in a credit union. It is always scary if someone shows up in a mask or face makeup. I will hand out treats tomorrow, but that is about it.

I would much rather celebrate holidays that glorify love, life, thankfulness, peace, and joy.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 10-30-2018, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I have never enjoyed being afraid - even in fun
Me too! Hate horror movies and even as a child I wouldnít dress as a witch or ghost. I enjoyed Halloween when it was little bears and princesses and firemen and superheroes.
I am not a fan of adults taking over the holiday and having it be about violence and gore.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Yup
Old 10-30-2018, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Me too. DH and I usually turn out the lights and go out to dinner on Halloween.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

different holiday and state
Old 10-30-2018, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

And then can you imagine teaching in New Orleans during Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Their poor teachers have to put up with students in Halloween and then when they gotta play dress up again for Mardi Gras every year.

Anyone here from New Orleans? How do you put up with all this?

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Halloween
Old 10-30-2018, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Not my favorite. Thank goodness we only get about 10trick or treaters. By 8:30 I am throwing all the candy in their bags so we do not start eating it!
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 10-30-2018, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes to this. I despise how the ghoul-and-gore fans have co-opted the entire month of October with Halloween stuff that just keeps getting creepier and more disgusting. I'll be glad when tomorrow is over and Halloween goes away for another year.
teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-30-2018, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am not putting candy out and didn't buy any.

Not having a party at school. The school has a parade and I think that is plenty for a "party." No treats, no word searches. No nothing.

Oops. Anyone complains and I am going to say I have a religious reason for not celebrating. prove me wrong.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Halloween
Old 10-30-2018, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When I was teaching, it wasn't my favorite day. The kids were wild all day long until the parade, and the parade was too early in the afternoon, so you had too much "hang time" with the kids. Gone are the days when kids are able to hang out and talk, so I played Bingo or showed a video like It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Our school has a principal who loves Halloween, and she dresses up as a main character like Mary Poppins or a Disney character, and we were supposed to come up with costumes to support her theme. Like I wanted to be a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins or a jelly fish from Finding Nemo? Couldn't wait for it to be over! That being said, I don't mind it at home. I do buy candy and love distributing it. I live in a condo complex and we used to get many kids, but I think in recent years, with the trunk or treat celebrations, mall trick-or-treating and kids not going to homes of people they don't know, it has fallen way off. I am already planning on donating my leftover candy to a local dental practice that mails the candy to troops overseas to enjoy.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Mardi Gras
Old 10-30-2018, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Schools on the coast and in LA often have some Mardi Gras days off. I live in North Mississippi and increasingly more families are going to Mardi Gras during the week and weekends. The kids come back with beads and more beads. They wear them, share them and tear them apart so they can throw the individual beads in class.

However---we often have awesome king cakes from bakeries. (Not the Kroger kind )

LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

Halloween
Old 10-30-2018, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have always despised this holiday although I must admit that I really enjoy the 50% off candy on November 1!
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 10-30-2018, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I also don't like Halloween - have never liked being scared or scary movies either.

DH and I aren't passing out candy - we usually go out for dinner - we've even gone to the movies which is great as no one is there! We will turn off the lights and watch our "Chicago" shows.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 10-30-2018, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Agree with the dislike halloween fans.

What makes it worse is the adults. They get more decked out than the kids and then come to school in their outfits like they are 10.

Will NOT miss this holiday when I am retired. Will let my own kids get excited for their kids, I am done!
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Teaching made me hate holidays
Old 10-30-2018, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

The kids were wild today because our PTO put on a Trunk or treat in the parking lot tonight. Then tomorrow is Halloween. Two days of behavior issues and really no meaningful learning going on. Hate having a party. Oh let's celebrate and have more wild behavior. Let the parents have parties at home! Let me teach! My team member has an MRI tomorrow so she is getting out of the party. I am a little jealous. They are thinking it is just her sinuses, so not serious we hope.
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Larnow

Larnow

Halloween and The PC Police
Old 10-30-2018, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am not really into Halloween at all, but I put up with it. People are very sensitive about this day, too. I'm not very concerned about them since almost anything now is considered offensive. I have read that there are now some areas,organizations, and schools where you can't dress up like a clown.

I do understand and appreciate some of guidelines in schools for appropriate costumes, but PC culture is getting beyond ridiculous when cities are putting bans on wearing a clown masks. Where will this end?

However, when I was young, Halloween seemed to be more innocent. Now kids dress in violent and or grotesque costumes. They can continue wearing this stuff as far as I am concerned , but whatever happened to pulling off the sheet from your bed and cutting two holes in to it to make a ghost?

BerthaInAttic

Halloween
Old 10-31-2018, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yeah, I teach middle so Iím right in the phase where some kids think itís great and still wanna dress up and the other half are too cool and over it. We canít win, really, because if we donít do anything to mark the day we get complaints from the immature kidsí Families but if we do, we can expect the older kids to be miserable and ruin it. Itís kinda no win.

Iíve disliked Halloween since I stopped trick or treating. Honestly itís too much pressure. Iím a millennial so my friends still all to the parties and the dressing up and I feel so lame that I have no interest at all in spending my time and money on it. Now Christmas on the other hand...Iím still a 5 year old for Christmas!
BerthaInAttic is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-31-2018, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Re: the holiday back when I was teaching, it was fun for me because I didn't have kids all day long. It was a pull-out method for just 30 min, so I did a lesson around it was and give them some fun Halloween pencils, stickers, etc.

Re: Halloween and my personal life, I last dressed up in jr. high and last handed out candy in HS I think. I'll go to some of those Halloween pop-up stores that crop up in vacant retail spaces around town ONLY because my SO likes it, but I couldn't care less myself. I might get a little candy corn for myself.

Oh, I DO love scary movies year-round!

Last edited by MAsped; 10-31-2018 at 05:49 AM..
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-31-2018, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I have already had two parents text me they are going to let their kids sleep in and come to school late tomorrow.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 10-31-2018, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

It should be illegal to have school on Halloween & the day after. My school doesnít do Halloween. Instead we have the Vocabulary Parade. It doesnít make much of a difference.

Today was nuts and kids were off the walls. Tomorrow will not be much better. Itís essentially a combo of babysittting & herding cats.

Iím ready for the weekend
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

We are not allowed to have Halloween parties
Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

The district seems to have gotten us us away from any holiday celebrations for about 4 yrs.
The kids are still hyper anticipating school being over, but not anywhere near like the days when they wore costumes to school.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote