Complaint and tattling. Different circus, same monkeys. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Complaint and tattling. Different circus, same monkeys.

>

midwestread

Complaint and tattling. Different circus, same monkeys.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here I am, in at the college level and venting. I am so disappointed...again....

I've been a supervisor for student teachers to meagerly supplement my Ph.D. education. It comes out to 8.00 an hour
I've been telling everyone how joyful I was and how lucky I have been to work with these young teachers that are so joyful in the classroom.

I've been there for observations. I've been respectful to the cooperating teacher and asked permission where to sit, can I interact with the kids? (I feel interacting with the students after the lesson gives me a better read on were the kids engaged and did they actually learn etc...)we've had amazing conversations afterward in which they told me that they were so satisfied and grateful. I haven't heard "boo" from any of them as far as complaints.

So I get a call today for have brought m my supervisor asking for a meeting a few of my students have complained. I sent out an email to them all saying that I am open, understanding, and hardly ever get angry. Professionalism has two-way communication. If I don't know, I can't fix it.

I went over everything I could have possibly done and truly feel that I have gone above and beyond, also this job doesn't matter.
I would have wanted me as a supervisor!!!!!
None of this will determine my future career as a professor. I just got out of a tattle tale environment.

I will go to the meeting and smile say thank you and walk out. I will also say to make sure we teach our students to be professional and talk directly to the person they have concerns about.

Little *&^ts. Ungrateful.
I am killing myself for those students.

midwestread is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

tattling on supervisor
Old 10-31-2018, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This would rile me up too! It's like those parents who go directly to the principal rather than having a mature chat with you first. I see it as cowardly and that they would rather tattle than be an adult and talk it out with the person who is actually involved.

I hope you have some self-care planned this weekend because you deserve it!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-31-2018, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sure you were great and held them up to being professionals in their student teaching, which might be the problem. They wasn't the easy way out. Sad, but kids these days, not all but many, want the easy way out.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Yep it sucks
Old 10-31-2018, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iíve been tattled this year. Some of what I was told about are lies. Some of it is way exaggerated. Some of it just plain unfair.
I too started out excited about my new position. Itís something Iíve thought about doing for years.
I was put on a ďplanĒ for mostly bs. A staff member observed me unannounced, not a supervisor, and watched me the entire day. This was just the third week of school too. The comments I read about were never gone over with me. The principal just took her word over what she said she saw. Iím more than a little ticked off. Now I have more assignments, more observations, more meetings and more paperwork due to this.
Iím seriously considering on quitting. Since the plan, I decided to keep looking and have had several offers to interview in different districts. Iím just worried that any where I go may turn out like this.
Oh, and I was told to smile more. HA!! As far as I know, this didnít happen to anyone else at our school. They totally wrecked my attitude and enthusiasm.
Why are teachers/staff so mean to each other? Iím sick of it!
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

BerthaInAttic

ďSmile moreĒ
Old 11-01-2018, 02:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wonder how many men get told to do that. If youíre a man, apologies for misunderstanding. But it seems like itís such a woman-only criticism. The men at my school (I teach middle) make up probably a quarter of the staff, and they donít do any of the ďextras.Ē They donít have to do the embarrassing dress up stuff for spirit week - they just kind of shrug and say theyíre not into it.

I once got praise from a principal that I was ďnurturing.Ē Not smart or effective or great at teaching - nurturing. I would love to poll my colleagues and see who else had maternal style compliments like that. End rant.

BerthaInAttic is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

supervisory role
Old 11-01-2018, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What was the basis of the complaint? If you're their ST's supervisor, your job means having to act as a liaison between the school and the practicum office. You may or may not necessarily be in charge of a ST's eval. Is the basis of their complaint connected with your role? Once the meeting is done with, I would clarify your role again with the ST's that you're in charge with. I find it unusual that this happened. Why are they burning their bridges? If I were you, I would take this with a grain of salt and continue to treat those you're charged with professionalism and ongoing support. With that said and if you're in the position of evaluation/observation, continue to be honest in providing feedback and back things with documentation. Do this for every ST you're supervising.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Just a Thought...
Old 11-01-2018, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am so happy you are supervising student teachers. IMHO, they need strong supervisors who tell it like it is and have high expectations.

The next time you meet with your student teachers, whether as a large group or individually, be sure to let them know about the meeting you had with you supervisor. Let them know what the correct procedure would have been because this is also the procedure they will use when dealing with staff members (and if they should ever become a parent).

I would also let your supervisor know that next time something like this happens, you would like him/her to let the complainer know he/she needs to speak with you before your supervisor will listen to the complaints.

Good luck with your meeting. Please let us know the outcome of it.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. If it makes you feel any better, I teach graduate students- some of whom are going for an EdS and some are going to continue on for a PhD. And some of the stuff that happens and they complain about (or don't get) is pretty damn ridiculous. I actually really like this year's class, but there are still things here and there. Last year's class was more like you are experiencing. Come on! I love mentoring. But sometimes.... ????
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Midwest
Old 11-02-2018, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

( I will also say to make sure we teach our students to be professional and talk directly to the person they have concerns about. )

Most definitely do this. They need to understand in schools they will be expected to communicate concerns with parents, teachers, and P's directly.
I have noticed P's sometimes act nicely to tattlers at 1st, but it almost always comes back to bite the tattler.
Also, other teachers will not like or trust them if they talk about them behind their backs. Schools can be rumor mills. If they want to enjoy their jobs as much as possible, they have to be able to confront issues directly and nicely.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

midwestread

Update thank God it's not my fulltime job.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So I had the meeting and was flabbergasted.I was upset, but now whatever.
Some of you asked what my role is. I am to be a liaison and to evaluate.

I walked out of the observation on cloud nine. The students did really well, the cooperating teachers were asking me questions and tld me ďthank you for those tips- -poooh let's do that tomorrow!Ē
They asked me for suggestions with some kids that were not engaged, I told them that I am not a doctor, I have had in my personal experience sometimes students that present adhd symptoms actually have experienced trauma or instability, or whatever ,you never know whatís going on. I suggested maybe having lunch one on one to build relationships.
I thought we connected. You know what , in the moment we did connect it was great.
One cooperating teacher asked me to help her with google classroom the last 10 min of my studentís lesson. She was so excited! The last 5 minutes of the lesson when my student lesson I did show her briefly.
It went great. Iím a bold person but not a social moron, I can tell if people are interested and when they are uncomfortable.

So here is what the little snots said
-I diagnosed a student of being abused which made them uncomfortable
-the cooperating teacher said that I helped her with google instead of watching the student (What?!!!!!!)

Remember the cooperating teacher begged me to help her and I wanted to build a relationship so I said yes, then she complained about it later.

I never diagnosed anyone.
She asked me to help her.

My supervisor truly questioned my professionalism and came down hard on me- like overly. I was not happy with the process, let her know as such. I was really upset- tears. I felt set up. The meeting ended on a good note as she realized I was a normal person, a kind person and caring person. I also had to remind her that scholarship is my priority, I couldnít run and meet with her (supervisor) when she wanted, I have classes and research and a family lady (Thank God). They came to me and asked if I would help out.

I donít have to deal with that student anymore. I'm working hard to get a scholarship so I won't have to beg for crappy jobs like this. I talked to another adjunct and she had a similar experience. The last 10 years with cuts in funding, professors have to treat the students like a ďcustomerĒ. Whatever, the students lose out because we have to close ourselves off to CYA, they donít get the benefit of a mentor relationship.

Iím over itÖ. A good lesson for me. I do NOT want to work at a teaching college, I do NOT want to teach any pre-service classes. Iíll prefer content classes instead. Itís all ok- I got accepted into a big whoop de whoop conference. Itís like Iíll be the second string lineman at the Super Bowl. Only 28 grad students get accepted. That was a win I needed.

So I apologize if weíre sending tattle-tailing, complaining student teachers into your schools- it is not my doing.

Thanks for the support all!

midwestread is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Little snots 🤣
Old 11-05-2018, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I donít understand why people out and out lie. I think itís to seem more important or better than the one theyíre telling lies about.
Schools seem to be full of teachers who are unprofessional and gossipy.
We need to support each other more and stop tearing each other down. Itís like we need to have cameras on us or something to defend ourselves.
I canít wait to retire-maybe I can do it early.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, Iím female and I was offended by the smile more comment by my principal. She even went on to say comments about my face looking flat. Maybe my Ďresting faceí looks bad to her.? I am older and have wrinkles. She said this in front of two other staff members too. I left and hid in the bathroom for awhile crying. I thought it was mean and inconsiderate. How would she like comments about how her face looks.? We only have a few males. I really doubt she says anything to them. I doubt she says anything to anybody else really. If we had a union, Iíd complain. Should I tell her? HR? I just want to be left alone.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote