Help

The VENT

Sub left my class in tears.

>

MissAgnes

Sub left my class in tears.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a sub for 15 minutes today while I had a meeting. I left them with instructions to complete a sequence activity and summary on a story we read. I came back to the classroom to find 2 of my male students sobbing their hearts out. One boy is a huge Samoan kid. He's a space cadet, and moves VERY slowly. This sub humiliated him because he was "taking to long" to get a piece of paper! Another student got up without raising his hand (I allow them to get up to get paper, pencil, etc. while working). The sub yelled at him to go back to his seat, that he was NOT to leave his seat without raising his hand. After the student sat back down, the sub got in his face and kept telling him "Raise your hand! You want to get up? You'd better raise your hand!"
I heard the stories from the two boys, from the other students in my class, and I also had other teachers say they heard it, as well.
The sub also corroborated their stories, though his words were different.
I broke down in tears when I told my principal that this man is NEVER to sub in my classroom again.
Our district is hurting for subs, but no way I'm letting someone treat these children like that. They get enough stuff like that at home, they deserve to feel safe at school.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

drill sargeant type
Old 11-01-2018, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

While this guest's style is a little too over the top, I think I understand why the guest was a little too excessive. Common sense tells us that being gentle, civil, and courteous should be the norm. But if this supply teacher comes from an experience where students are disrespectful and obnoxious, this guest unfortunately was trying too hard to gain the respect of your students. This supply teacher did not know the nature of your kids perhaps. Consequently that supply teacher wasn't a good match for or with your class.

I'm really of the belief that you catch more flies with honey. There's people out there that believe in ideologies like "don't smile before Christmas" or that vinegar is the way to go.

It's too bad that this supply teacher did a lot more damage in such a small window of time. I wonder what made this adult act like a drill sergeant?
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

He's like this with everyone.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My principal actually had to talk to him about not yelling and screaming at the kids. These are elementary kids, by the way.
He started to get aggressive with her when she called him out on it. So it's not just my class.

TeacherPK6

Old 11-01-2018, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
My principal actually had to talk to him about not yelling and screaming at the kids. These are elementary kids, by the way.
He started to get aggressive with her when she called him out on it. So it's not just my class.

Sounds like he needs to be fired.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lennter

Lennter

Substitutes
Old 11-01-2018, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If the grade level in your class is K, one, two, or three, then that sub is way over the top. I have experienced some rough fourth grade classes, however. In general screaming or yelling is unacceptable behavior by a teacher, but there are those classes that push teachers over the edge. Since this sub was only in your class for 15 minutes, there are issues he obviously needs to work on.

I am not aligned with what your sub did by the way. The sub you had is not a good match for your class or maybe even your district.

Would your students cry easily because they did not know the sub? I am just curious. I am not making excuses for him. It sounds like he went overboard.

Some students in elementary can be difficult though. I also had a fifth grade elementary class a few years back, and the students were hitting and bruising each other. They stole supplies and destroyed other students' work. If I yelled at them, it was simply water off a ducks back. They did not care, and they would laugh at me. I hate raising my voice to students, but with this particular class I tried everything in the playbook to manage them: being courteous, kind, or firm. A combination of things. Acting very strict, modeling appropriate behavior, you name it. I had to change my classroom management strategy every two or three weeks. The new changes would work for a while, but the disrespect and misbehavior by the students would continue.

In addition, some six grade classes have no fear of consequences or anybody. A friend of mine taught this grade, and to make a long story short he went on leave.

So that sub either needs to calm down and change,probably work in higher grades, and or work in an area where students need discipline. If a district is in a rough part of town, then that matters. He needs to control himself more since he was only in there for fifteen minutes. Or he needs to find another type of vocation.

MissAgnes

Iíve had some tough classes.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Iíve had students that threw chairs at me, cursed me out, stormed out of class, tipped over tables. Students who attacked me, caused me to clear the room, left me in tears at the end of the day.
This is NOT that class. I have only 21 students - I have a high number of special needs students and a TAbto help with them. They arenít violent, they just need extra attention. But they were in the resource room at the time. I had several out for gifted enrichment, and several absent. At the time, I had 9 students in my class. And the absolute worst behavior problem I have with this class? I mean the WORST? I have 3 students who canít stop talking.
Had this guy come into my class 2 years ago, I may not have felt the same way. But THIS class did NOT deserve it.

Mikhail

not about this case
Old 11-02-2018, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In the context of the discussion here, I wouldn't have a bone to pick with a sub much less get this person blocked, or perish the thought, fired, if things got done. What I mean by that is if the sub got students to turn in work with 100%, the room was left cleaner than before I had left it to this guest's charge, and students were actually were behaved and positive in their attitude, I would say "bravo!". So, students were left in tears... parents may be up in arms. They'll bounce back. I would plan for damage control with some admin if there's talk of complaints though.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 11-02-2018, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

While I do think the sub didn't have to be that harsh, I tend to agree with Mikhail.

I think another requirement is that ALL teachers are subs for at least a good 6 mos BEFORE becoming actual teachers to see the substitutes' side of things. I've been one in my day for a good decade. Kids are hellish monsters and that was back when I did it. I've been out of it for yrs now, so I'm sure it's a LOT worse.

The best-behaving kids change whenever there's a "new face" in the room. Sure there's always some good kids no matter what, but I've seen it time and time again, so subs have to be a little harsher than the normal teacher would be. He figured better to nip it in the bud before having a mutiny on his hands.

And what does "huge Samoan space cadet kid" mean exactly, especially the space cadet part? Unless he has that health condition in which he moves slowly and can't help it (in which you should have said in your sub instruction to allow him to move slowly then), otherwise "space cadet" better move his bum because people aren't going to want to put up with that in the real world when he's in college or an adult working a job.

Also, if you allow your kids to get up without raising their hands, SAY THAT in your sub instructions too because that's a discipline issue in which most people are taught to raise hands, just like raising hands to talk. It's like allowing everyone to talk without raising hands too, which most teachers don't tend to like. If you have this harmonious system in which everyone's respectful and gives the floor to whoever started speaking first, that's while YOU'RE in the class. A sub won't know that unless you say so.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I subbed before I had a classroom.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I know what it's like.

But kids are not "hellish monsters". In fact, this class has some of the kindest, sweetest, most helpful and compassionate children who have ever graced my classroom. I have had other subs, who have nothing but praise for my students, other than "they are a chatty bunch".

No matter what, there is absolutely no reason at all for a teacher, or any adult for that matter, to yell, scream, or humiliate a child. There is no excuse for that. These kids are 9 and 10 years old!

PrimaryColor

Old 11-04-2018, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

There are always discrepancies between the substitute's method of class management and the teacher's. For instance, in my classroom no one is allowed to get up without permission. I do this, because I teach troubled teens. If I were to go into your room, and didn't understand your procedures, my first instinct would be to reprimand your children for getting out of their seats. That can become a major problem. Students like to take advantage of getting out of their seats. People like to pick at the subs. Yet they don't understand the subs are just there for a few days. They don't know anything about your children, and their special quirks. Kids will often mistreat substitute teachers. Then blame everything on the adult. Then again, I teach babies who are on probation and have ankle monitors on. So perhaps my methods are more stringent.

I have been everything. I have subbed, I have been a tutor, a non certified art teacher and now I am an art teacher. I have taught in all environments. mostly Title I or "Urban" as they like to call it schools. I say give the sub another chance. I've had instances where my method of doing things was way different from the teachers.

As for the child who moves slowly, if he is special needs, then that should have been made clear. I am a firm believer in passing on information about students within the realm of reason. If I know of a child who has been placed in a mental hospital, then I will pass that information onto other teachers. I find that knowing these details helps the teacher to manage the child better.

Last edited by PrimaryColor; 11-04-2018 at 08:56 AM..
PrimaryColor is offline   Reply With Quote