Float Teacher
Old 11-02-2018, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is a float teacher?

dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

Old 11-02-2018, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my district, You move room to room filling in for teachers that are in meetings.
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 11-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You are a teacher without a room. I taught reading as a specials and was a floater. Very annoying.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 11-02-2018, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are called roving subs. I went to 4 rooms in 3 hours this morning. It kept me busy. I've also been a roving sub where every room I went to the students were at PE or going to recess or the teacher came back in 15 minutes. I don't mind it once in a while.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 11-03-2018, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's one of my favorite assignments. Sometimes the regular teacher is there to explain the assignment and get them started, so know exactly what we are supposed to do. Often they only have a few minutes left until lunch, prep, etc. The day goes by very quickly, and I get lots of exercise!

The downside is I have nowhere to stash my coat and lunchbox.

YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Drigsef77

Drigsef77

Floating? No Thanks
Old 11-03-2018, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I dislike it. As an ex teacher, I am used to having one class. You have to be very flexible as a floater. I do not want to go from room to room and meet four or five teachers listening to their directions. I also dislike taking 5 sets of directions for the entire day.That is fine if a lesson plan is fairly simple, but there are times I have to jump right into something that is more complicated, like group rotations which can be annoying for a floater. There is no prep time at all as a floater. You have minimal time to introduce yourself for each class. And, as a floater admin will put you in any class.

One class and one set of directions with a grade level of my choice for the entire day please.

dietcoke99

that's what I thought
Old 11-03-2018, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I thought it might be something weird like this. It sounds like it is more of an elementary thing. I get few job offerings from this particular district and when the job came across as "floater sub," or whatever it was called, a red flag came up and I wondered if it was only being offered to me because no other sub would take it. I was curious about it. I thought you guys would probably know. I thought about just googling it, but I'm glad I asked you guys, instead.
I'm sure you guys are more accurate and it is better to get the info "from the horse's mouth." Thank you all. I appreciate it. I didn't take the job, by the way.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 11-03-2018, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Those jobs should be identified as "roving sub" assignments. But I know of a couple of schools that dishonestly post these jobs under only one teacher's name, making it look like a single class assignment. I think this is deliberate, as roving jobs are not popular and they admit they have trouble getting enough subs to fill them. I avoid these schools now. And I avoid roving sub jobs. You have no idea what you're setting yourself up for. It's a total crap shoot. And you can't back out once you get there or you will get a negative review.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 11-03-2018, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Those jobs should be identified as "roving sub" assignments. But I know of a couple of schools that dishonestly post these jobs under only one teacher's name, making it look like a single class assignment. I think this is deliberate, as roving jobs are not popular and these schools admit they have trouble getting enough subs to fill them. I avoid these particular schools now. And I avoid roving sub jobs. You have no idea what you're setting yourself up for. It's a total crap shoot. And you can't back out once you get there or you will get a negative review.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

SEEMS dishonest
Old 11-04-2018, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
when the job came across as "floater sub," or whatever it was called, a red flag came up
Welcome to the age of ambiguity. Name of the game is people know nothing and "don't ask me, I just work here".

Quote:
schools that dishonestly post these jobs under only one teacher's name, making it look like a single class assignment. I think this is deliberate
It appears misleading but yep, believe it or not, it's standard practise. If they want to go about it in a more fortright manner, they would've asked the school sec/clerk to put it out there as "teacher vacancy" category.

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-04-2018, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ours are for meeting coverage as well, but they're listed fairly. I actually like them, for a couple of reasons:

1) The kids are, for the most part, in their normal routine, and you get a glimpse of how the classroom usually runs - no "But our teacher lets us ____" when they clearly see that you and their teacher already know each other.

2) You get to "preview" the room before you take a full-day job, so -
......a) The kids already recognize you if you come back, or
......b) You know not to come back!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-04-2018, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What the others said. I just smiled when I saw the question about a "float" teacher from "Diet Coke." Now I have a craving for a coke float
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 11-05-2018, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I took floating jobs a lot my first year---just to gain experience on the run. I haven't taken a floating job the last 3 years. I've had too many where the office is scheduled me to death not even including a restroom break.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

retiredtwice

Old 11-06-2018, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have a floater job Friday afternoon. It's 3 1/2 hours and posted as General Ed Rotating. I'm looking forward to it. Time will tell.
retiredtwice is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 11-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

As others have said, you "float" from room to room all day. It is a great way to introduce yourself to teachers if you are new or new to that building.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 11-09-2018, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
It is a great way to introduce yourself to teachers if you are new or new to that building.

And, like lakeside said, a great way to get to know the kids. I like float assignments, but I wouldn't want to do them every day. I do them maybe once a month.
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

retiredtwice

Old 11-15-2018, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

The float job was covering the cafeteria for three hours (the students are required to be in the cafeteria during lunch) and working with the teacher during a split assignment the last hour. Overall, a good day.
retiredtwice is offline   Reply With Quote