>

nickelbackfan

Restaurant.com
Old 01-13-2019, 05:17 AM

How do these gift cards work?

nickelbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-13-2019, 06:40 AM

You usually pay a lower price for GCs worth a higher amount than what you paid. I forgot if establishments only accept them for dine-in only, takeout, or depending on the place. Use them as you normally would use a regular GC at the restaurant. I haven't used them in a long time and don't want to.

I've used them a few times throughout the years, but overall, I personally don't like them. The choices of restaurants there are to choose from are the mom and pop, older, maybe hole-in-the-wall, not-so-great places, or located on the outskirts of a city, etc. Some of the places you might question whether it's clean in there (or has pests, etc. and don't get me wrong, I realize some hole-in-the-wall places are great.)

There are no places that most people choose to eat at as their first choice really. At least that's the choices in my area and I live in a mega city of eateries all around. There are so many places to eat around here, I could eat at a different place daily for 4-5 mos probably and not eat at the same place. This company doesn't give most of them to buy GCs for. I personally have a tiny, lousy selection of restaurants to choose from. They're places I wouldn't really want to dine at.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-13-2019, 10:22 AM

I was curious, based on MASped's post, what types of restaurants they had near me. I've never heard of any of the almost 60 it listed for my metro area. But that doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm guessing it's the lesser known or lesser attended restaurants who would participate in sometimes like this to get their patronage up and new people trying them. But the site makes it look like you have to choose the restaurant up front? It's not that you can buy a card and use it any participating restaurant?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 PM

I use restaurant.com. I buy gift certificates to an upscale wine bar near me that has really good food. Grace, to answer your question, yes, you choose the restaurant you want to purchase a certificate for. You spend less than the actual value of the certificate. For example; pay $10.00 for a $25.00 certificate. You then print the gift certificate. They do not expire. If you buy (or are given) a restaurant.com gift card, it can be used on the site to purchase gift certificates for restaurants, but NOT at the restaurants themselves. I hope this makes sense.
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Tips
Old 01-13-2019, 01:25 PM

Remember to base the tip on the price listed in the menu--not the discounted price you are getting with the gift card. The servers have to work just as hard.

Assuming that there are restaurants you like on the list, these cards can save you enough that you can enjoy eating out a lot more often. But do your research.

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-13-2019, 06:35 PM

I consider them to be coupons more than I do gift cards. Not only are the restaurants usually the lesser known ones and often the higher priced ones, you have to order a certain amount to be able to even use it! The only time we ever had one, at each place we could have used it DH and I would have spent way more than we typically do when we go out to eat. Personally I think they are a rip off!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-13-2019, 06:40 PM

I'd never heard of it, so I looked to see which restaurants were in my area. They were all non-chains, but some were well respected local places. I'll keep it in mind if I make plans to go to any of those places soon. Others were places I'd never heard of.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote