Help

Retired Teachers

One More Reason to Love Retirement

>

travelingfar

One More Reason to Love Retirement
Old 02-14-2019, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't have to go to school and deal with Valentines Day parties. Halloween and Valentines Day were two of my least favorite days when I was teaching.

I am wearing pink today, however. Once a teacher always a teacher.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-14-2019 at 06:19 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

One more reason
Old 02-14-2019, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes.....and no.

I think I was in the minority over the holiday parties. I enjoyed watching the kids hand out and open their Valentines.

I volunteer in a kinder room. Going in today and was told the school doesnít allow parties...of any kind for any holiday. I believe the kids are missing out on a learning social skills, gratitude, manners, and, oh yeah, fun.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I’m with you all the way, travelingfar! There was always drama around Valentines (kids who couldn’t afford or understand about buying cards so I bought them at the Dollar Store, too much crap food, and always hurt feelings) and I really hated Halloween.
Quote:
I believe the kids are missing out on a learning social skills, gratitude, manners, and, oh yeah, fun.
I completely disagree, my friend. I believe these are all things kids should be learning at home.

Another thing I love about retirement: it’s raining hard and the wind is gusty here today—and I get to stay home and be cozy.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 02-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Keltikmom I am like you. I do miss the celebrations with my first graders, however, our parties were very controlled. They were the last hour of the day. The three room parents were responsible for all games, crafts and snacks. Teachers just partied with the kids and took pictures. The activities were done in three rotating centers. Kids passed out the Valentines throughout the day and were not allowed to open them until they got home. Students were not allowed to bring food. I used to punch out about 100 hearts and let kids sign and pass out if they didnít have cards. I always made a poster out of the cards that were given to me and the kids loved seeing it hanging up the next day.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 02-14-2019, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do not miss the parties even though mine were pretty controlled. The Valentineís party was just a treat and opening cards. We watched Winnie the Pooh video. Have a calm day all my retired friends!

crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Valentines Party
Old 02-14-2019, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Back when 1st grade could have fun...
DH saved his oatmeal containers all year they made great valentine mailboxes.
For the party I made heart cookies and frosting. They had a blast decorating them with sprinkles and sanding sugar. We'd set them aside on their paper plate while they opened their valentines. After putting their cards back in their mailbox, they ate their cookies and a drink brought from home. I'd read a bunch of Valentine themed books.
I'm missing it today.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

jmb

Old 02-14-2019, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This was the only holiday party I enjoyed. In the 30+ years that I taught I never had problems with kids not having Valentines to give.They (3rd graders) couldn't wait to make their list of classmates and decorate their boxes which we used math skills. The party was the last 45 minutes of the day where kindness was the focu. Just to stand back and watch these kids open and read each Valentine with such excitement was such fun. They took each message to heart coming to show me what card someone gave them. When they got a card where someone forgot to sign their name I told them it was a secret admirer. They loved it. Compared to Halloween and Christmas where many couldn't afford a costume or gift, all were able to get an inexpensive box of valentines and be part of the fun.
jmb is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 02-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The kids brought boxes of store bought valentines. Some children's families couldn't afford them, room parents were a pain in the neck, and the kids were hyper all day.

Instead I'm sitting in my comfy chair wrapped in a blanket watching Abducted in Plain Sight on Netflix.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 02-14-2019, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I didnít realize that I didnít have to deal with a party today until just now. There are too many other things to think about now!

I do wonder how the new teacher is doing. I was very organized with getting the kids ready. I sent home the names for cards in the beginning of Feb. I sent home the colored paper to cover a box with so the parents wouldnít have to buy anything. I had a Valentineís no homework pass that the kids loved. Oh well.

It is definitely better to be sipping fresh strawberry lemonade in the Florida sunshine.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 02-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This day never bothered me. I just went along with the joy of the day and planned accordingly. I guess I became a kid again. We shared valentines and treats if they brought them and had a VD movie.

JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 02-14-2019, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

JMB I am with you. I loved Valentines Day at school. The party was always a happy celebration of friendship. It took place the last hour of the day and party activities were low key. Loved watching the kids open and read their Valentine cards. Smiles and happy faces were prevalent throughout the day. The sweet messages on the cards were always uplifting.
CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 02-15-2019, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This was the only thing about Catholic School I liked was no Valentineís Day parties. Only thing worse is Halloween on a Tuesday
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote