Help

Retired Teachers

How do you respond?

>

jeffie

How do you respond?
Old 04-28-2019, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When someone that you don't know that well asks, What do you do, fill your day, since you are retired? I don't want to be rude but really don't like the question. Many times they ask first, How do you like retirement? and I do answer with, I really enjoy it.

jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-28-2019, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just say I have lots of hobbies and a grandkid to keep me busy! I don’t like that question either. It is intrusive, in my opinion. (I wouldn’t mind if from a close friend.)
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Awkward Question
Old 04-28-2019, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My husband dislikes this question too. His response is, "Whatever I want!"

I have to admit, I also dislike the question, and appreciate his bluntness. I take a softer tack, and usually answer with some various volunteer opportunities with which I help.

If it's a past colleague with which I had a friendly relationship, I figure they're asking me (as many on this board have) to get a vision what it might be like for them. With them, I figure I'm acting as a type of mentor and have a real talk with them.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

jmb

Old 04-28-2019, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just say a little bit of everything and a lot of nothing and laugh.
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 04-28-2019, 10:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I say whatever I want, whenever I want.

crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Anything
Old 04-29-2019, 02:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I asked a former coworker that question and her response was “Anything at any time.” She understood that I was trying to understand what retirement would be like after working so many years. I am glad that she was there to help me set a new mind set and I will be joining her on a few outings in the fall.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-29-2019, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This question never bothers me—I always think they’re wondering about their own retirement. I laugh and say something about doing whatever I want. I usually add how amazed I am every day to not have to work yet still receive a paycheck. Marvelous life!

ETA: unless they’re a close friend really wondering what I do.....then I tell them. And, boy oh boy, are they ever jealous.

Last edited by amiga13; 04-29-2019 at 05:58 AM..
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Response
Old 04-29-2019, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don’t mind and don’t find it rude. People are genuinely curious. My stock answer is “whatever I feel like doing at the moment.”
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Have been asked that many times...
Old 04-29-2019, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think people are genuinely curious. I go out with a group of teachers who are retired for lunch once a month, and they asked me that question, as did other people I knew. At the time, all I could basically answer in the way of information was I had a trip planned to some of the southern states in October, and I was going to the gym pretty much every day and de-cluttering my townhouse. I told a lot of people who asked at the time, "Nothing," because I felt so stressed and tired I did not want a lot of plans.

Now, fast forward to 10 months out. A lot of the things are still the same: still slowly de-cluttering, planning trip to the some southern states In November this time, and going to the gym nearly every day. I also have had a lot of time to read for pleasure and to go to different events, even those offered during the week. My retired neighbor and I have seen The Lion King, gone to a tulip festival and the shore 2 hours away, I saw part of the Tappan Zee Bridge come down at a viewing spot sponsored by a historical home, and have been able to do some environmental hikes and programs in New York State. I also have caught up on all the movies I wanted to see between the fall and now, mostly in theaters but some at the library and have gone to two author signings and book talks. And I love going grocery shopping and cooking during the week instead of the weekends.

My former colleagues saw me at a retirement party a few months ago and commented on how relaxed and happy I looked. And why not?

I do have another retired neighbor who needs to be on more of a schedule She joined the local Senior Center which has programs and goes to the library for some of their groups regularly. Different strokes for different folks. Retirement for me is never boring or dull, that's for sure.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Amistad

Old 04-29-2019, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am retiring next month and I already know what I will say.

What do you do in retirement?

I know what I don’t do....sit in hour ARDs, inhale lunch, drink cold coffee, repeat myself over and over, rush to the restroom and pee on cue, deal with behavior or needless interruptions, put myself last (as in school needs vs personal), stress over whether I used the wrong tone of voice, stand 98% of my workday, spend evenings grading work or creating lessons, PLC, attend needless meetings after school, miss family time, and the list goes on.....

But I agree that most people are curious as to how it will all work and maybe a feeling of not being needed anymore.

My children are already planning my time... but I am looking forward to cooking, gardening, and having time. Time.... something many don’t realize has such value.

Amistad is offline   Reply With Quote