Need some good ideas for books for students 9th through 12th - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

High School

Need some good ideas for books for students 9th through 12th

>

MnToCa

Need some good ideas for books for students 9th through 12th
Old 06-25-2019, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching SPED reading language arts and math next year. I have three classes of each. Anyone have good ideas of reading books that we could read as a class that actually will maintain the interest of my students???

I have four credits on Audible, and want to use them for my class this year but also want to get a class set of books too.

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

SnadesIL90

Book Possibilities
Old 07-03-2019, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Dystopian books are all the rage right now, and they certainly know how to keep YA readers interested. One of my favorite books that I teach is Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I teach it to my regular level Sophomore English class, but I know our SPED teacher uses it too. There's a great audio-recording voiced by Tim Robbins that's a little over five hours I think.

Another book/play that my students enjoy is A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry. Since it's divided into acts, there are natural breaks in the text if you wanted to fit parts of a project or paper in-between the acts like I do. There was a somewhat recent movie adaptation of the play where Sean Combs (P-Diddy...or whatever he's called now) plays the leading male character and it's pretty good!

Best of luck!
SnadesIL90 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Books
Old 07-03-2019, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught All American Boys (Jason Reynolds), The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (Sherman Alexie), Unwind (Neal Shusterman), Freedom Writers (careful with this one due to situations), The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)....Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head . Another good one would be Long Way Down (Jason Reynolds). He reads it on Audible and it's amazing!
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

QM2

Old 07-16-2019, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use two different books for teaching the Holocaust. One is "Surviving the Angel of Death and the other is "Voices of the Holocaust"

Angel is a memoir written by Eva Mozes Kor. She was one of the twins in Auschwitz and tells about what she went through with her sister.

Voices is a collection of primary and secondary sources as well as poems and personal letters. Split into five sections each section includes questions on the reading.
QM2 is offline   Reply With Quote