Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Online dating

>

Violet4

Online dating
Old 08-26-2019, 03:07 AM

I'm curious to know if anyone else feels the same way I do about online dating.

I think I have just about determined that it isn't right for me.

The process of looking through profiles, skipping over the ones you don't like and then making uncomfortable small talk with a stranger only to find out a week or two later that you pretty much wasted a precious evening.

I'll be honest, I would like to be matched up with someone soon but I haven't let go of the notion that it can still happen in person.

And I really like the idea of going on a date with a guy because something about me caught his attention in person

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 08-26-2019, 03:35 AM

You may like a match maker then...? Have you ever looked into it?
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Sprite
Old 08-26-2019, 03:36 AM

I haven't but maybe I will.
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Online Dating
Old 08-26-2019, 04:28 AM

When I was single I didn't do online dating. I preferred meeting people in person instead of through the internet.

I got involved with activities I enjoyed. If I met someone, great, but if not I still had a lot of fun doing things. I joined a tennis club, took lessons, and played in a few leagues. I ended up meeting another player, and we dated for close to a year.

I recommend doing things that appeal to you. You will have fun, and there is always the possibility of meeting someone. You may make some good friends too. I hung out with my tennis club people a fair amount outside of our play times.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-26-2019, 05:10 AM

If I was ever single again, I don't see myself ever using this method to find a mate. I never did it before and probably never will. Too much lying (from their end) can already be done right off the bat, which can start as soon as they show what they look like.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-26-2019, 06:59 AM

If I had the money and was single I would enroll in an exclusive matchmaking service where backgrounds and job history are already checked out for you. I wouldn't want to waste time. People were thoroughly fooled in the dating game before the internet too.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-26-2019, 07:06 AM

I've been married 35 years and say all the time in happy I'm not in the dating world now.

I know some great successes from online dating, but I also know many failures!

I would probably just be involved in lots of activities, but not do online dating.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

Kaimana

Old 08-26-2019, 04:27 PM

I said the exact same things. I joined some meet up groups and had a lot of fun getting to know people in casual settings. I became friends with a guy there and he told me that he never asked out women from the group because it was too hard to tell who was interested in dating; that online you knew who was looking to date. Out of curiosity I reactivated the match account I'd had a year before (and gone on one date before deciding I didn't really want to do that) to do a search on Match to find his account. I didn't find him. But while I was looking I got a few messages and it sucked me in- I got the promotional trial membership. Read them and they were all creepy. Thought, well, that was a waste. Then a few days later I got one that was actually interesting. We messaged for a few days and hewanted togo out but I, like you, didn't want to waste a precious evening. So I said I'd meet him for breakfast. We talked for hours that first day, dated for a year and a half, and got married in May. I could not have ordered a better husband or a better stepdad for my kids.

One thing I did learn from a friend years ago (who has been happily married to a guy she met online for about 7 years) was that you don't want the profile that attracts everyone; you want to only attract the right one. She said to be very specific about who you were and what you were looking for.
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

online dating
Old 08-26-2019, 05:19 PM

I'm married and it didn't exist when I was dating, but I honestly don't know how I'd feel about it. I don't see myself doing it but it's so hard to know.

I do know several people who've used it and had success, so it might be tempting! I just prefer to meet in person and get to know the other person in crowds with friends first. It's way less awkward than going on a date with someone I don't know.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-26-2019, 05:22 PM

Online dating was definitely a unique experience. It really didnít seem much like real dating at all. It seemed more like shopping.

Of course, I got DH out of the deal, so it was worth it.

I met EX the old-fashioned way, and that was a bust.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote