Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Pools

>

KT_203

Pools
Old 09-02-2019, 05:02 PM

So my friend was telling me recently about how her local high school is getting state funding for a renovation but that they now found out that if the school includes a pool( current school does, Community was hoping to have one in the new school I guess) the state funding group wonít give any money towards the project. That got me thinking about schools that have pools. I researched it a little bit and in my state thereís 271 high schools and it said about 30 of them have pools but apparently itís getting less and less due to the cost of maintaining them. Does your town have a pool in itís high school? Or any other school? Is it used as part of gym or just for after school teams?

KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 09-02-2019, 05:13 PM

No pool in any high school in my county. Only one public park has an outdoor pool. Only indoor pools in my county are at the YMCAs and a local college.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-02-2019, 05:30 PM

When I lived in Northern California, swimming and water polo were huge HS sports and all 4 high schools in the district had pools. The school my kids attended had a fancy aquatic center that included a pool and a separate diving pool.

And here’s a pic of the pool at my local HS in Southern California. I walk past it when I go to Farmers Market.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 09-02-2019, 05:30 PM

Town I live in: no pool in any school
The hs team uses the pool at the Y.
There is an outdoor pool open seasonally.
Town I work in: One grammar school has a pool the whole town uses. There is also an outdoor pool open seasonally.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 09-02-2019, 05:36 PM

My DD was on the swim team in high school. Every public high school that I can think of within about 20 miles, has a pool. So thatís at least 10.
The high school in our district just tore out the pool and put in a new one.
One nearby town has a pool in their elementary school and one town has a pool in their middle school.
All the towns near me also have park district owned outdoor pools.
We live close to a major city. Not sure if that makes a difference.

hand is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

The county where I live
Old 09-02-2019, 05:39 PM

originally had pools at 3 high schools. They built a new high school right near me and did not put in a pool. There was a bunch of scrambling and rearranging for the different aquatic programs in the county. There are other indoor pools, just not at the schools. The area does have outdoor pools, but we have 4 seasons here. However, the county is supposed to be building an aquatic center at a new local park that is going to have a bunch of sport and recreational facilities. That is, if they really build it.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 09-02-2019, 06:11 PM

The high school I went to had a pool. In 3,4, and 5th grade elementary kids were bused to the high school for a week each year to receive lessons. It must have taken up the entire morning! In high school every year, swimming was a requirement. If you tested out, you could take canoeing, snorkeling, or water polo. We had a water polo team, a swim team, a diving team and a group of synchronized swimmers. Everyone who went through my district should have learned to swim.
I live in a different state now and only a handful of high schools have pools.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-02-2019, 06:13 PM

I was on the swim team in HS and we had to go practice at another HS that was about 25 minutes away. Numerous other schools practiced there too- our practice time was actually 8-10 PM! I believe all of the schools had to pay rent to use it, so they were making money that way.

I don't think our district HS has a pool- I've never heard about it if we do. No idea about others either. There was a HS aged Olympic swimmer from the area awhile ago, so presumably some people have swim teams!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 09-02-2019, 06:14 PM

Where I grew up: each HS had a pool. Many summer swim leagues rent them out for match day.

Where I live now: district has one for the whole district at the natatorium.

Where I teach: no pool for the 1 HS.

Many communities have their own pool or pools. Some even have splash pads for the younger kids. I know that a community pool was a must when I looked for my new home. Too expensive to build my own and I donít want to up keep.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-02-2019, 06:19 PM

No pool here. Not in DHís district either. However, one of the private schools in his county uses the university pool. The school is a K-12 school that is part of the university. I donít know of any east of us, but there are some west of us. Not common at all.

Our town doesnít have a pool either.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 09-02-2019, 06:42 PM

All our local high schools have a pool. Some of them have two.

They are used p.e. and sorts teams.

In the summer most have community swim programs. But these don't get a lot of use other than swim lessons because the most homes have pools.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 09-02-2019, 06:43 PM

All 3 of our middle school and both high schools have pools. Most high schools around here do, and middle school for that matter. Swimming is a part of the PE curriculum. They are also used for sports (swim team) and summer school swim lessons.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Local school
Old 09-02-2019, 07:11 PM

Does NOT have a pool. We have a university in our town that has a huge complex with three pools. That is where my kids learned to swim. There is also a ymca but the water is freezing and the pool is small. We are also five minutes from the Atlantic Ocean so most kids learn to swim so they can surf, swim and body surf.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-02-2019, 07:12 PM

My high school growing up had a pool- two, actually- indoors of course- and we had to have swimming every year in PE. I grew up in Illinois, and PE was mandated daily from K-8.

My kids' high school does not have a pool and I'm not aware of any around here who do.

ETA: the high school pool growing up was indoor.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 09-02-2019 at 08:41 PM..
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 09-02-2019, 08:31 PM

My small town high school had a pool. During the summer you could pay a small fee to swim in the afternoon. They also offered swim lessons during the summer. I remember being able to swim during PE in high school. A few years after I graduated they took the pool out.

The district I work in recently added or renovated pools at all three high schools. I think most high schools in our area have pools.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-03-2019, 01:39 AM

We do not have a pool in at our HS, nor does the district where I work, or where I went to school. We did not have swimming in HS.

I live in a region where there are many lakes, and many towns have their own beaches. Swimming lessons are given at the town beaches.

Most schools have arrangements with the Y or a branch of the state university to be able to use the pool for swim teams , if they even have them.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 09-03-2019, 03:10 AM

I have swum or coached at most of the pools in this province, and there is only one in a high school. And I believe that one is run by the town and just shares space with the school.

Locally, most pools are run by the municipalities. There are are 2 in our area - one is just a pool and the other is run by the YMCA and is part of a centre that includes 2 rinks, a gym and a daycare. A few of the universities also have pools that host community swimming and youth teams.

I donít know if any high schools even have swim teams - most kids who swim are on summer or year round club teams.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

NatureLvr

Old 09-03-2019, 07:45 AM

The public high school my kids attended had a large pool that was used frequently for state swim meets. Students also used it during PE.
NatureLvr is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-03-2019, 09:41 AM

Most of the high schools in our area have pools. They are used extensively. PE classes, swim team, as well as some times available for the community to use.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 09-03-2019, 09:41 AM

I can only think of one high school that has its own pool. Teams practice/compete at county/community pools. Middle schools do not have swim teams and elementary schools have no swim instruction. I think it would be amazing to have, but what a huge liability for school districts. I'm sure that is why high schools do not build them. That, and the expense.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Nope
Old 09-03-2019, 11:02 AM

No pools... no swim team, but my high school had a surf team. Weíre about 10-15 minutes from the beach/ocean. Theyíd take the bus over the bridge & practice there. Thereíd also be meets on the beach
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 09-03-2019, 12:20 PM

We have a pool in our high school and in our middle school. At one time, one elementary school had one, but it has since been taken out.
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Pool
Old 09-03-2019, 12:55 PM

When I went to high school in Toronto, Ontario in the 70's the high schools had indoor pools. It was part of our boys/girl's only pe curriculum and we did kayaking, swimming and such. Mouth to mouth resuscitation was not my favourite, but whatever. The schools then rented out the pools for swimming lessons on the weekends. No high schools where I am now have indoor or outdoor swimming pools. Too small a city and probably too much liability. We were not even allowed to take our students to a water park last year because of insurance issues.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

small private school
Old 09-03-2019, 02:45 PM

I went to a small private K-12 school and we had a swimming pool. We swam in P.E. class in middle/high school. During summer, families could pay for a membership and swim all summer long. I remember my mom taking my brothers and sister and me nearly every day in the summer. We would get up, do our chores and then either go swimming (on sunny days) or go to the library (rainy days).

My children attended the same school, but by the time they were school age, the pool had been filled in. The liability and maintenance were just too much for a small school.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 09-03-2019, 06:58 PM

Town I live in has 2 high schools, one has a pool. The area I work in has no pools at any of the high schools. There is a private school that has a pool, but you can only go there if you are a certain race.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-04-2019, 05:59 PM

No pools at any schools in our county. We have several local Y's and pools at a couple of universities/colleges in town. A few municipalities around here also have them.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote